Thread: Interested in Info/Perspectives on 2003 999

apriliaforum prov-nov

Interested in Info/Perspectives on 2003 999

Hey folks. Like many of us, I periodically browse the classifieds of various forums, ebay, craigslist, etc. looking for possible good deals. I recently came across a possible good deal on a 2003 999 with 12k mi. I grew up on twins (Suzuki SVs, TLs, Honda RC51 to name a few) so I've always had a soft spot for them. I'm currently on a 2012 RSV4.

I know the 999 was a bit "controversial" since it was the first big change after the 916/996/998 models. I also believe these models require more maintenance than the more current generations. I obviously don't expect it to be anything close in modernity/technology to my Ape. I won't be tracking it, but would certainly use it for Sunday morning rides and possible sporty road trips.

Does anyone have some experience with 999 ownership? If the price was right, is it a must have? Something a guy should avoid at all costs? I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ChibbMD View Post
    Hey folks. Like many of us, I periodically browse the classifieds of various forums, ebay, craigslist, etc. looking for possible good deals. I recently came across a possible good deal on a 2003 999 with 12k mi. I grew up on twins (Suzuki SVs, TLs, Honda RC51 to name a few) so I've always had a soft spot for them. I'm currently on a 2012 RSV4.

I know the 999 was a bit "controversial" since it was the first big change after the 916/996/998 models. I also believe these models require more maintenance than the more current generations. I obviously don't expect it to be anything close in modernity/technology to my Ape. I won't be tracking it, but would certainly use it for Sunday morning rides and possible sporty road trips.

Does anyone have some experience with 999 ownership? If the price was right, is it a must have? Something a guy should avoid at all costs? I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
    Might suggest asking this question on any of the Duc sites as those folks would have the most personal experience with that model. Then you can get back to us with what you discover.
    Good luck.
    AndyD
    94 GTS 1000 gone to a good home! 04 ST1300 Micah was right. 42.3 mpg
    Smooth as silk. "Naturally the common people don't want war: neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But after all it is the leaders of a country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or fascist dictaatorship, or a parliament or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peace makers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country. H. Goring

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    I had a 2003 999S loved it great bike, and that motor is bullet proof. I was talking to a guy at a track day who raced one for years, he said he had it bouncing of the rev limiter, and never let him down, he's now got a new Buell and is going to race it when he sorts the brakes out. Also if you alter the steering geomomitry to the steeper angle you should also raise the rear ride height. It handles better for track days. But is more stable in the less aggressive in the standard setting for the road.
    "The Earth is our ancestor....A restless Planet is our creator"..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 640 supermotard, with full titanium system and a shit load of spares. (track bike) and a 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler, MV Rivale 800, Termi exhaust, heaps carbon fibre.

apriliaforum expert
    Fantastic bikes run and handle really well. Service costs on them can be a little pricier than other ducati's too. Service intervals every year or 6000 miles. Every service you want to check the fuel injection relay located near the oil cooler to make sure the wiring isn't corroded

apriliaforum newb
    Consider looking into a 2005 and newer if you want a 999. Engine wise it is a fantastic engine, 2003 and up. but frame and swingarm are much better 2005. Awesome bike for ergos and comfort. tons of Usable power. I would do anything to have my 05 back. Haven't found as fun a bike since selling it. Could tour on it and race on it. First and last bike I've been able to enjoy both on.
    Stabled:
    2002 998
    2005 999
    2005 MV F41000
    2011 RSV4

apriliaforum expert Proctologist's Avatar
    They had some defects and recalls, but all of that is sorted out by now.. Google and forum memberships is all you need.

I say take it for a test ride and then make-up your mind. The pricing on those 749/999's has become very attractive.

Today:
    Ducati 1199 Panigale Rosso | Aprilia RSV4-R APRC ABS | Aprilia RSV 1000R (under construction)

Yesterday:
    Ducati 1098 | Suzuki GSX-R1000 | Suzuki GSX-R1100 | Kawasaki Ninja ZX600R | Suzuki TS185

apriliaforum expert
    Great motor, great bike. However, I found the ergos to be very track oriented. My ape and gsxr were both more confortable. Styling is subjective, but 90% of that bike is perfect to me. If they had just lexaned the headlights flush or something a little better. Best looking exhaust ever.

Dry clutch isn't for everybody (including me). Pricing on the 999/749 are good. Make sure that you are really getting a good deal. As said, the 05 is a better bet.
    2014 Tuono

Previous:
    2013 CB500X
    06 GSXR 750
    2009 SMV750
    2006 Ducati 749
    07 SXV5.5
    05 DRZ400SM
    04 RSVR
    94 Honda ST100
    03 SV650 Track bike
    01 Mille
    00 GSXR750

I picked up a ratty 2003 999S a few years back and loved it so much I kept it, best bike I've ever had, great chassis, power delivery and a cheeky character that got lost on later dukes.

Not much goes wrong on them, the engine is pretty reliable and the general level of build quality is higher than on later models, it was quite an expensive bike to build.

Maintenance wise, it can be expensive, but they're actually quite simple to work on, I do everything myself including belt changes and valve shims and its pretty straightforward, like a lot of Ducati's some minor jobs are a pain, but alot of major work is actually quite well thought out.

apriliaforum expert
    Had a 2003 999 for five years. Wish I hadn't sold it. Engine is better than any desmoquattro version. Revvy but still with torque. I found the bike comfortable (6'2") with the stock seat and had good wind protection. regularly rode in the 40's in the morning. Heat in the summer was rough though, and once the seat heated up it never cooled down even on the interstate.

Had a 2004 999s. Very track oriented, but fun bike. Expensive maintenance. Try to find a 999r, even better engine. Undertail exhaust hot in summer.
    2017 Sherco 300 SER Factory
    2016 Tuono 1100 Factory
    2015 TREK 7.3
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...alan+golightly

apriliaforum newb
    I had a 749, pretty damn close. I loved that bike except for the lack of horsepower, which you definitely do not have a problem with on the 999. The chassis is incredibly stable, the brakes are phenomenal, it feels REALLY narrow and thus is a hoot as a track bike. As a street bike, at least if you're running the stock exhaust with catalyst they're insanely hot in traffic. Mine got so hot that it melted/deformed the pillion seat. Additionally, the ergos are brutal. Long and low.

I'd have another, I love the way they look. Reminds me of an art deco train.

Mine dynoed at 133hp @ rear wheel with full termi and mapping.
    2017 Sherco 300 SER Factory
    2016 Tuono 1100 Factory
    2015 TREK 7.3
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...alan+golightly

apriliaforum newb
    Had a 2005 phase 2 999.The engine was bulletproof with power all over,it never stopped pushing.It could be used for touring,I went to the north of Italy on it and back.Town use was not enjoyable though,I don't think I've ever had a bike that got so hot waiting at traffic lights.Dry clutch was fragile on mine,and the rear view mirrors were very pretty,but showed f**k all of what was going on behind me.Water used to get into relays too and cause it to splutter to a stop.I bought a Triumph after that because English bikes work in the rain,obviously.Still a beautiful bike though,it's probably the one I've spent the most time drooling over in my garage.Bit of a freaky alien-dog thing with it's clothes off though...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	010.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	531.5 KB 
ID:	329724  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	019.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	521.4 KB 
ID:	329725  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.jpg 
Views:	11