Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: San Diego rides

Guzzi Trailer Representative ceeco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    I'm gonna try to make this as it sounds pretty interesting!!

Anybody else in?!?
    Thinking I might take the 4-wheeler up to Doffo with all this moist air. Had hoped to take the Tuono out via Julian and Mt. Palomar but both report drizzle and possible thunderstorms. The event is 10-4 so I'll probably show up around noonish. I drive a black windowless Ford van and I'm a tall, buzzed hair, bearded white guy (no, not the one they're looking for on the news...lol).

-chuck

What was the event like? Too wet for me although we had the pancake breakfast to help at in any case. Hope it was a great success, it is for a good cause.

I may try for a ride tomorrow morning if the 25% T-storm doesn't result in wet stuff. Leaving from Aero Dr at I-15 if dry going to Mother's up S-6 on a 1st discovery ride.
    potere - italian for power
    have M1 permit, will travel

Hi fellers

Sounds like Mr. P is finding his way around the town pretty darn good!

Jed, I had an innocent (but rookie) tip-over on Montezuma one early morning and the bike was very unhappy afterwards. Turned out to be an internal short in the battery, but since I had/have the thing torn apart looking for a short somewhere on the main harness I might as well choose now to go through the whole thing and do some needed service, upgrades, etc.

If I'm fast and fortunate I'll have it back on the road in a couple of months.

Will be lurking on this thread in the meantime!

Face reality, or perish, I guess.
    - IndelibleInk

Well, I had a touch of food poisoning so I took the cage down to Doffo instead of the GTS, and must say that was a nice get together. The screening of Bol d'Or: 24 hrs of Le Mans was exceptional as the FILM maker Peter Starr - an old Triumph racer of the early 60s - (remember in 76 there was no videotape) was there to give insightful comments on the time and the participants. He was very poignant and even got emotional because this was the first screening ever in the US as he said that the last time he watched it was some 15 years ago, and it brought back many fond memories of his friends, some who have since passed on.

The highlight of his reminiscing was when he told a humorous anecdote regarding, of course, the French. He had an agreement with the French organizers regarding the placement of the 5 camera men at pivotal sections of the course before the start of the race. He arrived at the track entrance with the van full of people and equipment at the agreed upon time, even a tad early he said, and of course, their French counterparts were a no show, and had not given instructions to those at the gate, so the van was dead on the tarmac so to speak. His interpreter argued in vain with the policemen for a good amount of time when, one of the camera men, who he described as thin as a rail, 6' tall or so, but with a huge afro "Out to here" (and he gestured with both hands about two feet on both sides of his head {I immediately had a picture of "Banana" of the Youngbloods music group}) burst out of the van and jumped up and down like a crazy man shouting,"Amerikan TV Kamera!! Amerikan TV Kamera!!!". The Gendarms had a look of horror on their faces and immediately let them through!! Hilarious.

Here are some shots from my cell phone which could be better! Sorry but I don't know how to align those "sideways" photos. They are correct when I look at them in the folder on the computer but get turned 45 degrees for some reason when uploaded!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151017_131359[1].jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	516.6 KB 
ID:	291738

Name:	20151017_131431[1].jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	521.3 KB 
ID:	291739

Name:	20151017_131547[1].jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	517.9 KB 
ID:	291740

Name:	20151017_131721[1].jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	532.7 KB 
ID:	291741

Name:	20151017_131903[1].jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	520.6 KB 
ID:	291742

Name:	20151017_132610[1].jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	498.0 KB 
ID:	291743

Name:	20151017_131756[2].jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	517.7 KB 
ID:	291744

Name:	20151017_135931[1].jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	523.6 KB 
ID:	291737
    Last edited by AndyD; 10-18-2015 at 01:32 PM.
    AndyD
    94 GTS 1000 gone to a good home! 04 ST1300 Micah was right. 42.3 mpg
    Smooth as silk. "Naturally the common people don't want war: neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But after all it is the leaders of a country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or fascist dictaatorship, or a parliament or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peace makers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country. H. Goring

I got just the place...

...for dinner at least.

Lorna's is a classic, long established Eye-talian restaurant located in University City on the southeast corner of Governor and Genesee. Not too expensive, good quality, generous portions.

http://www.lornasitalian.com/index.html

They have a big outdoor seating area that looks out over the parking lot. We would need to reserve it, but if we can get a consensus on a date and time, that shouldn't be too hard.

I asked the owner about a year ago if a group of Eye-talian bike snobs could descend on his place after a group ride and he seemed enthusiastic.

My bike need to do this at least once a year. It's good for its soul.

Nice photosphotos Andy, esp the Paul Smart autograph.
    As for the after-ride eats, any Sat should be OK. Just tell me this 80+ weather is OVER. This weekend it's returning, crap.

Quote Originally Posted by potere View Post
    Nice photosphotos Andy, esp the Paul Smart autograph.
    As for the after-ride eats, any Sat should be OK. Just tell me this 80+ weather is OVER. This weekend it's returning, crap.
    Thank you.

The Smart tank stood out to me also as a winner!

80+ weather and you're complaining? lol?? Try here in Palm Springs. It finally broke a bit two weeks ago and got to the mid 80's.
    So I went up to Joshua Tree and then got pelted with a freak storm on the way back going through Yucca Valley and Morongo Valley.
    AndyD
    Smooth as silk. "Naturally the common people don't want war: neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But after all it is the leaders of a country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or fascist dictaatorship, or a parliament or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peace makers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country. H. Goring

Joshua Tree sounds like a great idea this time of year or is it? I know 395 as far south as Mammouth only, spent many a weekend in June Lake and Twin Lakes (near Bridgeport). Would like to see the part around Bishop.

Of course with an adv bike, you could go see the oldest living trees in the world at the ancient bristlecone forest which has a tree that is 4,800 years old!
    Name:  bristlecone.png
Views: 85
Size:  78.9 KB

Anyone riding tomorrow or Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by apriliabob View Post
    ...for dinner at least.

Lorna's is a classic, long established Eye-talian restaurant located in University City on the southeast corner of Governor and Genesee. Not too expensive, good quality, generous portions.

http://www.lornasitalian.com/index.html

They have a big outdoor seating area that looks out over the parking lot. We would need to reserve it, but if we can get a consensus on a date and time, that shouldn't be too hard.

I asked the owner about a year ago if a group of Eye-talian bike snobs could descend on his place after a group ride and he seemed enthusiastic.

My bike need to do this at least once a year. It's good for its soul.
    Well shit. That's walking distance from my mom's house.
    I grew up right there. It's great food.

Have fun!

Join us, Jed! Invite your mom!

Ok ApeBob, how about calling a date/time for this culinary meet-up?? This weekend the temps will finally be down.

Quote Originally Posted by apriliabob View Post
    Join us, Jed! Invite your mom!
    I'll be down over Christmas. She'd get a kick out of all you guys.
    How's the neck, Bob?

You guys are like herding CATS. Is anyone going to go for a ride this Saturday with the noob? I'd be leaving from near Qualcomm at 9:30am. The weather will be PERFECTO. Name your ride, I'll go. Well...except for fire roads and gravel but I doubt any Apes would be in that category.

Let's eat somewhere and talk about the "incident".
    Last edited by potere; 11-05-2015 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by potere View Post
    You guys are like herding CATS.

Good analogy, P. Didn't used to be that way.

My wheels are out of commission or I'd chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDaddy View Post
    Good analogy, P. Didn't used to be that way.

My wheels are out of commission or I'd chime in.
    That never stopped you before lol The chime in part I mean.

speaking of your wheels why don't you give everybody an update both of them (the Ape & the Yamaha ha that is).
    AndyD

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast