Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gabro's IGen Tuning Kit (collector mod + airkit): almost ready

apriliaforum expert
    Excellent work and thank you so very much for posting this valuable information Gab. It would be (for me at least) - very interesting to see objective data on the header mod vs the Akrapovic or Arrow 2-2 systems depicting not only output - but A/F variables throughout the pull from bottom to top. Your work on this project Gab - eliminates ambiguity and perceived gains. From a purely technical perspective the data on the short can validate dynamic principles. I have no doubt the losses shown in utilizing the short can could be recaptured by revisions to secondary (after the collector) tube length or an appropriate link pipe diameter adjustment. However, this then would lock one into a specific component combination requiring yet another matching prom.

Folks, the work Gabro is doing deserves our appreciation as well as support in purchasing his well proven proms - and now.. products.

Bravo Gab - Bravo.

-doc

If you have time, something I've always wanted to see is the difference between a topless air box with a new gauze filter and a completely stock air box with top and no air filter. In actual track use you would incorporate a screen to stop stones and bugs etc. The goal here is just to see if there is any significant difference between the carbon race air box and a stock air box without filter.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU - remember Sandra Bland

apriliaforum Member
    Impressive and interesting.

Was quite surprised the difference the air box mod made, puts to rest all the doubts you read of them.
    Would be interesting to see what difference it would make with a standard type filter as well, not only for flow but the filter being so close to the front intake stack, the disturbance in the air.

Was also surprised the effect the short can had.

Do you tune for power or for A/F?

I'd also be keen to see a 2-2 pipe setup as well.

Do you plan on selling the airbox kit by itself?

Quote Originally Posted by BMEPdoc View Post
    It would be (for me at least) - very interesting to see objective data on the header mod vs the Akrapovic or Arrow 2-2 systems
    I've tested both Arrow 2in1 and 2in2 SP at the end of the game, my friend (the bike owner) had an Arrow 2in1 to be installed and mapped, and i had the SP link pipes and cans Will post results later.

From a purely technical perspective the data on the short can validate dynamic principles. I have no doubt the losses shown in utilizing the short can could be recaptured by revisions to secondary (after the collector) tube length U]or[/U] an appropriate link pipe diameter adjustment.
    I started to be courious about shot can performance when coupled with a collector mod after i've seen Gavin Grimett's bike dyno-run (sorry, i can't remember his nickname here in the forum, i've invited him here via FB).
    His shorty and his version of collector mod gave a big boost in performance in the upper revs and no lossed at mid. I suppose that has been a true lucky shot, being his motor now perfectly tuned in terms of cam timing and exhaust/intake lenghts and resonations. But my tests confirmed that short can can can be effectively used with collector mods, they now perform fine enought, not like shit as when installed over stock headers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    Do you tune for power or for A/F?
    our bikes like to run a little on the lean side up to about 500/1000 rpm prior the torque peak, than on the rich side.

However, this then would lock one into a specific component combination requiring yet another matching prom.
    That last tuning session i did confirmed what our bikes like fuel. They suffer a lot (in terms of lost power) a lean condition, but can esyly burn the excess in fuel, not losing very much power running AFR's as low as 11.8 in the upper revs.

What our motor really feels is a good fuel balancing between front and rear cylinders, and it's been decided by about the 70% by the exhaust headers used. Rest is 20% due the airbox and 10% exhaust can.

Once i've got a good balancing at first runs with the modified headers, i've almost kept it for all the rest of the test.

BTW i've started using an F255 (pin 16 ON map) chip, but discovered that running it with my header mod it was lean in front cylinder and rich in the rear. My header works more like an "improved" 2in1 than a true 2in2, were the rear cylinder breath almost as good (or even more) than the front.
    That the net gain of the new chip, customized over my header mod, versus the generic F255 chip map1: http://www.xtremeshack.com/photos/20...7208634539.JPG
    Aprilia bikes ECU tuning and reflashes since 2004!
    --
    Please like and Follow the #gabroracingteam socials!
    FB: https://www.facebook.com/gabroracingteam
    IG: https://www.instagram.com/gabroracingteam
    YT: https://www.youtube.com/GabroRacingTeam-GRT

Quote Originally Posted by kzmille View Post
    If you have time, something I've always wanted to see is the difference between a topless air box with a new gauze filter and a completely stock air box with top and no air filter. In actual track use you would incorporate a screen to stop stones and bugs etc. The goal here is just to see if there is any significant difference between the carbon race air box and a stock air box without filter.
    Last day my friend come to help me, while reinstalling stock airbox lid after a test with the airkit, he forgot to put the airfilter on. I did the pull and after that i saw the airfilter still on the desk
    i have to check the data collected to check if there's any intresting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    Do you plan on selling the airbox kit by itself?
    Yep, will do. I have no pics yest of the ring, becouse i'm using a very rought prototype. Production will be nicer
    But i'm using the SP sponge filter in the airkit:

Name:  filtro SP.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  46.5 KB
    --

Hi Gab, brilliant testing, very interesting results. I've also often wondered about my combination of mods and the results I got from them. Thank you for the fb message pointing me towards this thread! So my bike has very similiar mods as can be seen in my signature, with a shorter custom can. I too would be interested in seeing the difference between the foam and paper filter in the open airbox. Thank you for going to the effort of doing the donkey work, it clears up a number of misconceptions...just a quick one - are you saying the standard F255 chip like I have is not performing satisfactorily? With these mods? Is there anything I can do to tune the cylinders to compensate for the fuelling issues?
    It's hard to beat man or machine that just won't give up...

'02 RSV Mille - Tornado custom can, Tornado dual collector mod, Gabro F255 chip, Evo style open air box, SBK shorty levers, 17/44 gearing, ProGrip grips, ODI donuts, LED Indicators, Blue Matrix screen - 132 whp and 100nm

very interested to see USD pricing. Awesome work so far Gabro!!
    01' Mille - It's BLUE!- R.I.P.
    09' RS 125 Spain's #1 Lorenzo Rep- SOLD
    04' RSVR FACTORY - SOLD
    10' RSV4 FACTORY - 194HP

May the fire in my eyes light the way for me.
    May the bridges that I burn take out my enemies.

When you are done testing, I want a place in line to get the new airbox mod and the chip. I already have one of your collectors that I bought from you when I got your F255 chip just over a year ago.
    Ron J
    President & Founder - Aprilia Owners Club of Australia
    Gold Coast, Australia

2001 Aprilia RSV Mille - (Red) Upgraded Ohlins Rear Shock, Sato Rearsets, Gabro F27F Chip, Modded Link Pipe, Billet Intake Stacks, Open Airbox Kit, Backdated Airboot, Adjustable Clipons, Quick Release Gas Cap, Leo Vince Can, Ohlins Dampener, and more.

2014 Aprilia Tuono APRC - (Matte Black) Matris Rear Shock, Racetech Front Springs, Custom Valving and Shim Stack, Gilles X-Factor Rearsets, Rizoma Kit incl: Drag bar, risers, oil filler cap, & brake reservoir, CRG Arrow right mirror, matte carbon windscreen and heel plates, Akra slip-on, Race ECU & More

Quote Originally Posted by GavGrim View Post
    are you saying the standard F255 chip like I have is not performing satisfactorily? With these mods? Is there anything I can do to tune the cylinders to compensate for the fuelling issues?
    No, the F255 chip is adequate and will remain in production. i'll may update the secondary map only.
    it has proven good performance in many application, and suit most of the collector mods out here.
    Problem is everyone doing collector mod is doing a different mod using different pipe, lenght, bends, joint location and joint quality.
    It's simply not possible to cover all the possible solutions, and the F255 had done his job brillantly running fine enought almost everywere is been installed. And here we are changing the most important part of the bike when coming at fueling, any change in collector mod configure a different exhaust header, moving the joints by a few centimeters causes a great mess in fueling.
    Generic eprom (or flashes) proupose is not to have fueling 100% spot on, but give an overall better running machine, with an ecu map that suit the application (so apply a better ignition map, and do not run 2in1 fuel map with a 2in2 exhaust). Spot-on fueling is far beyond any generic products.

Anyway, starting to sell my own version of collector mod was a nice occasion to improve the F255 map further, in order to better suit it to the specific exhaust.

If redratbike send me one of his modded header i can suit a eprom specific for those too. He chosed a design that looks like to improve a lot low-mid rpm performance. but is a bit short of breath in the upper revs. I chose a a design that works a bit better a higher rev, but limits some gain at mid. And looks like the F255 chip work better on his headers than mine
    But it's very hard to predict performance of a collector mod just staring at it. I would need it on the dyno.
    Last edited by Gabro; 09-30-2015 at 12:47 AM.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Gabro View Post
    If redratbike send me one of his modded header i can suit a eprom specific for those too. He chosed a design that looks like to improve a lot low-mid rpm performance. but is a bit short of breath in the upper revs. .
    funny about to change the design a little..asnd will be getting dynoed against my old design.

i'll keep you posted if you fancy testing one... or two .......old and new to create an eprom Gabro :-)
    Last edited by redratbike; 09-30-2015 at 05:58 AM.

Nice work Gab!
    Reminds me to get mine to a dyno too to check current performance.

I've just received the first production unit. I will use it for final clearance check and to shot pics for fitting instruction:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	collettore2_a.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	402.8 KB 
ID:	290458

Several years ago I discussed this very issue with Kiddo before his untimely passing, who also corroborated the importance of this detail as odd running glitches surfaced unless proper orifice matching was carried out.
    This is how the header should be prepared for the modification which I'm relatively certain - you have done.
    we chose to keep the junction a bit orificed/restricted:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	collettore2_b.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	290460
    --

apriliaforum Member
    Any word on pricing this kit?

Quote Originally Posted by Gabro View Post
    I've just received the first production unit. I will use it for final clearance check and to shot pics for fitting instruction:
    Here is a video I made for fitting instructions when I installed Gabro's modded link pipe.

Ron J
    President & Founder - Aprilia Owners Club of Australia
    Gold Coast, Australia

2001 Aprilia RSV Mille - (Red) Upgraded Ohlins Rear Shock, Sato Rearsets, Gabro F27F Chip, Modded Link Pipe, Billet Intake Stacks, Open Airbox Kit, Backdated Airboot, Adjustable Clipons, Quick Release Gas Cap, Leo Vince Can, Ohlins Dampener, and more.

2014 Aprilia Tuono APRC - (Matte Black) Matris Rear Shock, Racetech Front Springs, Custom Valving and Shim Stack, Gilles X-Factor Rearsets, Rizoma Kit incl: Drag bar, risers, oil filler cap, & brake reservoir, CRG Arrow right mirror, matte carbon windscreen and heel plates, Akra slip-on, Race ECU & More

Ive been thinking of getting a twin system for mine ( if i can find one ) but now not sure, this kit is looking good.

Will the kit be on an exchange basis?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast