Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: '11 RSV4R Brakes - Too strong! Advice needed...

apriliaforum expert MamboItaliono's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    Hooooly fug. How do you stay insured and riding? Carry poi to give to leos? I've been pulled over ~ 7 or 8 times, zero tickets in 10 years riding. Mostly just luck though.
    Haha you and everyone else wants the answer to that question. Even the state wants to know haha. I get let go on my fair share, and I take the rest like a gentleman. To me, it's calculated into my operating budget

What happens on Oahu, stays on Oahu.

apriliaforum expert MamboItaliono's Avatar
    What happens on Oahu, stays on Oahu.
    Hahahaha bur literally, foreal. Hawaii is a non-reporting state. I can get a license and insurance in any of the other 49 states

Hey all,

So I looked around and read through several threads on the V4 brake system without finding an answer to my question. Here's my issue: I've gone down twice in urban traffic due to locking the front brake when 1) a douchebaguette cut me off and b) a douchebag duder jaywalked out in front of me from behind an SUV. Both times I was going about 20-25 mph and obviously was not riding defensively enough. There, I said it.

Now I'm looking at selling my beloved V4 to a female rider and I'd hate for the same thing to happen to her, as she'll be riding a lot in an urban environment as well.

Would a different ratio master cylinder help here? I had a Brembo RCS 18/20 on my 04 ZX10 (+better calipers) and that setup was the !sh. Never locked once either, although was running low-bite oem Nissin pads... FWIW running EBC HH pads in the V4 since the bike is 100% street.

I know, training in panic stops, yadda yadda. I'd like to think after 10 bikes and 10 years of riding I've gotten better at braking. I still push hard enough now and then to give myself that "Oh, crap, I'm gonna crash" feeling, and every time so far I've been able to let off the brakes, look where I want to go, and ride it out. Maybe I do need to practice panic stops though. How exactly does one go about practicing being surprised while riding? Have a friend throw things at you from behind a hedge?

Lastly, can suspension setup play a role? If I run my front compression too soft, and then brake to hard and too suddenly, can that be putting excessive weight transfer on the front tire, causing it to slide under hard braking action? The plot thickens...
    its not the brakes....its the douchebag!

I wish! We can't just pop off into the outback here! You have to drive 2 hours away from the SF Bay Area to find a motocross track. Ditto for getting to public use dirt roads, at least as far as I know. I have a Husqvarna TE511 that would love it, although then I also have to buy a car/truck again to transport it, as the wee beasty doesn't like highways.
    well its the same for us here in Melbourne unfortunately. I usually have to travel 1.5hrs to go ride my bike out bush but its so worth it. As far as MX tracks you wont learn much about braking there...slippery downhills and muddy or gravel terrain in the woods is much better.

Good to hear you have a Husky...where do you ride it though? or do you have a motard kit ?
    2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800 (STREET)
    2010 APRILIA RSV4 FACTORY (TRACK)

2007 KTM 300EXC (DIRT/MOTARD)
    2005 CBR1000RR TRACK BIKE (SOLD)
    2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Triple J View Post
    Riders should always practice panic stops. Go to a parking lot, and practice stopping as fast as possible from a variety of speeds. You don't need to surprise yourself, you just need to be good at stopping quickly so when you are surprised muscle memory takes over.

As far as being surprised, practice observing your surroundings while you ride.

Do you do trackdays? They're a good way to explore your limits without scaring yourself on public roads. Public roads are too dangerous to ride aggressively IMO.
    +1 to all of this.
    But one thing none of us readers know, is the situation your accidents happened in. Practice your stops, yes. Read the road well, many courses can help with stuff that we all see newer riders don't understand yet. (Not saying you are one.) I agree totally that practicing helps when that panic stop is needed. What I try to do is make sure that panic stop is never needed, with my road positioning and speed taking into account what is around, and if someone steps out or pulls out in front of me unexpectedly. But part of all of our learning experience has probably included "Phew, that was close" moments we got away with. Maybe you just didn't get away with these 2, and the way the situation happened meant that whatever, the brakes needed to be hammered on maximum. Dave

apriliaforum Member
    Something talked about all the time when I lived in the UK was "car craft vs road craft" - the ability to push your vehicle to the limit vs the ability not to need to. Back then you could take courses teaching either one - over here, not so much. My brother was a pursuit driver with the police, one of the exercises he had to do was to drive through the city without using his brakes. When I drive through Boston I'm just grateful we're not allowed weaponised vehicles - I'd leave a lot of blood behind otherwise, to hell with the brakes

'11 RSV4R Brakes - Too strong! Advice needed...

Hopefully not insulting you, if you're prone to hefty braking have you considered dropping the front pressures a Psi or two? Grab a fistful and it'll squash the tire and give you bigger contact patch I.e less likely to tuck
    2009 R

Race ECU. Domino XM2, Shorty Akrapovic. Retro Fit APRC Qs. RCS 19 and RCS clutch perch
    HEL lines throughout. GiaMoto Rearsets, Puig, Pipercross Air filter. SC1 for road and Superbike Slick SC1/SC2 track

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234