Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: OE Spring spec

apriliaforum prov-nov flying_hun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Re5Guy View Post
    You're welcome :-).

Last night the Ulysses club I ride with hosted Dave Moss (Google him if you don't know him) and he did a really good hour and a half talk on dailing in your suspension.
    Dave is the guy who changed my springs. He didn't mention it?

Quote Originally Posted by rdbandkab View Post
    I stand corrected!! Makes sense..
    I'll have to see how the "auto" setting compares to the "two helmets and luggage" setting. We're 2up all the time...and with at least a trunk carrying rainsuits and other stuff...
    Okay, I'll own up to being "naughty". Stiffer springs and losing 20 pounds still didn't stop me from dragging the centerstand. I took the next step. That rod that connects the swingarm to the ADD sensor is adjustable. I adjusted it. I've only ridden it in auto since then, but I have yet to drag the stand. Current tires are just about used up, and I'll feel better about pushing on a bit when the new tires are mounted, but so far, so good. No, this is not a recommendation, just a report.

I'm going into my dealer in two days for tires, and an updated map. We'll see what they say.

Nah Dave didn't mention it but I didn't have the Caponord there, I had my '82 Katana so he wouldn't have known, other club members had already volunteered mule bikes for Dave to play with.

What way did you adjust the rod, tighten or loosen it and how many turns? Do we actually know what that rod does. I would assume it is the sag indicator???

Quote Originally Posted by Re5Guy View Post
    What way did you adjust the rod, tighten or loosen it and how many turns? Do we actually know what that rod does. I would assume it is the sag indicator???
    Initially, I made it two turns longer, but thought it was a bit jiggly, so I've backed it off to 1-1/2 turns longer. Still no dragging, and less jiggly.

The rod connects the swingarm to a rotating arm that tells the ECU the position of the swingarm. By lengthening the rod the ECU is signaled that the rear suspension is compressed further than it actually is. Apparently, that causes it to feed more preload into the rear spring. When I tried switching the suspension out of auto to the #1 solo rider setting, the back seemed to sit back down in the rear and have cornering clearance issues again. Test completed, I put it back to auto where it's likely to stay.

The service manager at my dealer had asked Aprilia USA what would happen if I did this, and he was told they didn't know. I was in the shop today getting new tires, and getting the latest updated map (BTW, in case anyone asks, the code updated map for the regular Capo and the code for the Rally are the same - no difference in the maps as of today). They detected no issues caused by making the change. That doesn't mean there won't/can't be any, but so far so good. I'll be your crash test dummy for now.

Today is the first time in a while that I've thought that I might keep it after all. It's a lovely bike, but between dragging hard parts and the check engine light being triggered all the time by the exhaust flapper, I've been getting frustrated with it. Today, between the new map appearing to solve the check engine light problem, and the rod appearing to relieve the clearance problem, I'm much happier with the bike.

*edit/update* I spent a big day in the Santa Cruz mountains yesterday, and managed to still touch the center stand down at least a half dozen times, but in every case there was some sort of mid-corner bump that provoked it. Overall, much better. I plan to go back to two full turns longer than stock from the 1-1/2 I had it at this weekend. When just riding around I can change it back to one of the pre-sets to get a more plush ride.
    Last edited by flying_hun; 04-04-2016 at 10:53 AM. Reason: update

Had a great ride yesterday out Mines Road, over Mt. Hamilton, and back north on Calaveras. I took off the centerstand this past week, and this was the first time I've gotten through a whole day of brisk back road riding without touching hard parts. Success! To sum up the changes:
    • Switched to a slightly taller tire (190/55)
    • Re-sprung front and rear
    • Went on a diet and lost (so far) more than 25#'s
    • Manipulated the ride height sensor
    • Removed the center stand

Would the last item have sufficed? Don't know. The diet by itself had not been been enough, even with the stiffer springs. Bottom line, I'm much happier with the bike now.

Hey Mr. Hun, all very interesting. Sorry I missed your March post, but I will make up for it now.

Thanks for the explanation as to how the rod works and what it does, makes sense. So if I understand you, then adjusting the rod is only worthwhile if you use the auto setting?

I have stayed away from leaving the bike in auto because I wonder if the motor that drives the preload is up to the extra spring weight over time. I stick to the manual settings and adjust them off the bike, probably being over cautious, but suits me.

With my set up I can get over to scrape the pegs and standard muffler. The centre stand only unloads over big bumps, not on smooth surfaces. I will persist with it, but I do worry if I will wear it to much and it will fail on me (which did happen on a BMW I owned many moons ago).

I just had a thought, what part of the stand do you keep decking? Whilst I scrape the feet of the stand on both sides, my big issue is the "elbow" on the right hand side of the stand (looking forward). We ride on the correct side of the road here in New Zealand (the left), so right hand corners are easier to touch down on due to the road camber. Just curious.

My 20,000k service is due, so be interesting to check out the latest software update.

cheers

apriliaforum Member
    Ok, my shock is out (and what a convoluted process that was!!!). Off to the local Ohlins tech tomorrow for a new spring

apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flying_hun View Post
    Had a great ride yesterday out Mines Road, over Mt. Hamilton, and back north on Calaveras. I took off the centerstand this past week, and this was the first time I've gotten through a whole day of brisk back road riding without touching hard parts. Success! To sum up the changes:
    • Switched to a slightly taller tire (190/55)
    • Re-sprung front and rear
    • Went on a diet and lost (so far) more than 25#'s
    • Manipulated the ride height sensor
    • Removed the center stand

Would the last item have sufficed? Don't know. The diet by itself had not been been enough, even with the stiffer springs. Bottom line, I'm much happier with the bike now.
    so what diet did you do?
    Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

apriliaforum Member
    Ok, so my local Ohlins guy measured my standard spring. He said it was 145N to start, goes up to 165N and then around 190N. We decided on a 170N replacement, so I'll see how it goes this weekend.

170 may well be the go. I put a 160 in and after a bit of experimenting solo I run with the shock set with rider plus bags and when 2 up rider and pillion plus bags and just slow down a little 2 up with the bags actually on. I'm 100kg plus gear, so a lighter rider would probably be ok with a 160.

Be interested in hearing what ya reckon.

apriliaforum Member
    I'm 90kg and mostly ride solo with loaded panniers. I'll report back after the weekend.

apriliaforum Member
    Very happy with the 170N spring. Did 1600km over the weekend through the Victorian high country, only scraped the centre stand 3-4 times (would be dozens of times previously). Much less wallowing and felt more planted through all speeds of corners. Should have done it 28,000km ago.

In auto mode, the spring preload was about 3-4mm, previously was around 15mm or more. Left it in auto for much of the trip.

Work done by Suspension Smith in Fyshwick.

apriliaforum Member
    Today I took some rear spring preload measurements on my Aprilia, at the shock, right where the electro hydraulic adjuster raises/lowers the the spring:

1 passenger : 1.5mm

1 passenger and luggage: 3.75mm

2 passenger: 10.35mm

2 passenger and luggage: 12.62mm

I then rode it around a bit in auto, and took a measurement. This is with me (100 kilo in gear), a relatively low tank of fuel, and empty saddlebags: 6.82mm

This doesn't seem too far off, but still infers that perhaps the spring is light for me, which also reflects the viewpoint of a few people on this thread, and my seat of the pants feeling that its sprung a little light in the rear. In a perfect world, I’d like to find the spring that is the same length at the current spring, but that the automatic setting brings it to the same settings as the manual when loaded similarly. So, for example, I’d like to see a 1.5mm preload when I ride around in automatic.

I’ll have to figure that out and buy a new spring for later.

Sam

Hi Sam,

I'm still riding my Caponord, now has over 50,000 km on it including 1200 this last weekend 2 up with bags and top box over very bumpy East Coast roads. I continue to have trouble at all with the shock with the 160 Ohlins spring on it. I have only used manual settings, never the auto.

I will see if I can do the same measurements you have (but it won't be this week sorry).

cheers

apriliaforum Member
    Thanks; I’m definitely curious what other bike/shock settings look like. I would guess I’ll end up with a similar straight rate shock as you, unless I find that Hyperpro has a progressive shock that happens to be the same size as stock, but with a higher starting rate.

Not that I’m in any rush to change anything, I just had a set of calipers handy and I decided this was a useful way to look at the stock spring. I doubt I’ll change anything until the fall.

Sam

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456