Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stranded EFI

apriliaforum expert

Stranded EFI

I'm Stranded 100 miles from home. Reliable Mille keeps dying. Dash says EFI. Will restart and run for a while, then seems OK, but then dies again. Any suggestions appreciated.
    Hoosier, not hoser.
    2000.5 Mille R - Ti Shotguns & lots of Evo shtuff
    2016 Tuono 1100 Factory
    1983 Yamaha XJ650LK Seca Turbo
    2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE

remove seat, connect the diagnotic connectors, 2 white bullet looking connectors and start the bike and see what comes up in the display....there is no memory, so if you shut the bike off whatever code that was set will not be stored, you have to get it with the bike running or the ignition on.
    m
    marco bjishkian
    Rocket Ride Cycles
    1855 SW 4th Ave B-17
    Delray Beach FL 33444
    Authorized DynoJet Tuning Center

Plug in the diag connector on the right side of the subfairing just under the seat and tell us what code you're getting. EFI just means there is an error code but without knowing what it is there's no way to diagnose.

That said. Starting and running fine for a while and then dying could be a lot of different things but the easiest to start with and most common are faulty side stand switch, faulty tip over sensor, and loose battery connections. Unfortunately only the last one is really serviceable on the side of the road.
    I'm on the app store! Check out Solitaire: Slide it's free!

apriliaforum expert
    Thanks for the help gents! Good news is I made it home OK. I let the bike sit for 15 minutes, rearranged a towel in the rear cowl that I had jammed in near the ECU, pushed in a few electrical connectors in the rear cowl to make sure they were tight, and fired it up. It didn't miss a beat all the way home, about 100 miles. A head scratcher for sure. The sidestand switch was jumpered out years ago. Maybe the fuel pump connections are going intermittent? Or maybe it had something to do with that towel? The symtpoms were that the engine died in gear, as if either the ignition or fuel was cut. Coast to a stop and it would restart as if nothing happened. Then a few minutes later, it would quit again in gear. It did this three times in about 10 minutes. I'll take a look at that tip over sensor.
    At least I'm not stuck in BFI........otherwise known as Culver Indiana...
    Last edited by Diablo1; 07-15-2015 at 04:51 PM.
    Hoosier, not hoser.
    2016 Tuono 1100 Factory
    2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE

apriliaforum expert
    Tip over sensor tests OK at 62 K-ohms when upright. However, when tilted over 45 to 90 degrees or even upside down, most of the time it still reads 62 K-ohms. On rare occasion, it reads 0 ohms when tipped over. So it's not working as it should. If the tip over sensor was to blame, I would have liked to see zero ohms when upright. I'll replace the tip over sensor anyway. I'm also going to wire up a jumper cable with a 62 K-ohm resistor to keep in my tool bag for road side emergency repairs. I was also able to tighten the battery cable bolts 1/4 turn. Perhaps it was just loose cables?
    Hoosier, not hoser.
    2016 Tuono 1100 Factory
    2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Glad you made it home safe.

Too bad you couldn't read the code. Would have been a nice clue to know what was going on.

Many, myself included, have the diagnostic wires set up through a switch...... so the next time it acts up you won't have to remove any body panels.

What a great idea! Think I'll do that soon.
    oh well nevermind

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Six5 View Post

Too bad you couldn't read the code. Would have been a nice clue to know what was going on.

Many, myself included, have the diagnostic wires set up through a switch...... so the next time it acts up you won't have to remove any body panels.
    I like that idea of a switch. I also read on the forum that all I have to do is disconnect the tip over switch in an emergency. The bike will run with the tip over switch unplugged, but it will flash EFI on the dash.
    Hoosier, not hoser.
    2016 Tuono 1100 Factory
    2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Love the switch IDEA!
    Ron J
    President & Founder - Aprilia Owners Club of Australia
    Gold Coast, Australia

2001 Aprilia RSV Mille - (Red) Upgraded Ohlins Rear Shock, Sato Rearsets, Gabro F27F Chip, Modded Link Pipe, Billet Intake Stacks, Open Airbox Kit, Backdated Airboot, Adjustable Clipons, Quick Release Gas Cap, Leo Vince Can, Ohlins Dampener, and more.

2014 Aprilia Tuono APRC - (Matte Black) Matris Rear Shock, Racetech Front Springs, Custom Valving and Shim Stack, Gilles X-Factor Rearsets, Rizoma Kit incl: Drag bar, risers, oil filler cap, & brake reservoir, CRG Arrow right mirror, matte carbon windscreen and heel plates, Akra slip-on, Race ECU & More

apriliaforum expert
    I'm also going to test the diode pack. It sure would be easier to find the problem if I had the EFI code or if the bike wouldn't start at home in the garage. Intermitttent problems are a bitch, but I'm glad the problem went away long enough to get me home.
    Hoosier, not hoser.
    2016 Tuono 1100 Factory
    2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE

apriliaforum expert

What did you use for a switch and where did you mount it? Some kind of handlebar switch?
    Hoosier, not hoser.
    2016 Tuono 1100 Factory
    2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE

That's a damn good idea. I'm gonna have to do that.
    I'm on the app store! Check out Solitaire: Slide it's free!

apriliaforum expert
    I decided to take apart the tip over switch. It's fairly easy, 4 screws.
    Here's a video link that shows the guts.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2A9rN7EYYY
    My switch had some plastic dust inside from the brass ring rubbing on the nylon insulator on the brass slide. Blew it out with contact cleaner and retested it. Now it works fine. It looks to me like there is no reason to ever need a new tip over switch, it's really bullet proof and easily repairable.

I also tested the 5-pin diode pack and it's OK. If the bike stalls again, I'm ready to read the diagnostic code.
    Hoosier, not hoser.
    2016 Tuono 1100 Factory
    2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo1 View Post
    What did you use for a switch and where did you mount it? Some kind of handlebar switch?
    Practically any simple switch will work. I used a mini toggle switch. It just needs to make the connection, so the ECM can sense it. It doesn't carry any current.

I'm still undecided where to permanently mount it.....

Practically any simple switch will work. I used a mini toggle switch. It just needs to make the connection, so the ECM can sense it. It doesn't carry any current.

I'm still undecided where to permanently mount it.....
    I mounted my map switch on my Tuono above the dash. I might put the code switch along side it.
    Great idea!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast