Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: racers & experienced track guys: tire wear?

racers & experienced track guys: tire wear?

Tire wear question for you guys...

I'm a pretty slow guy still, but something odd with my tires I wanted to ask - I just fnished two great days at VIR North. I still have chicken strips (maybe a half-inch or so? ) on the front, but the rear is scribbed all the way to the edge.

I know I still have a buttload more lean angle in the bike (I'm still running in the beginner group), and the front seems to show that... but if I start getting over further, won't I have less of a contact patch in the rear?

Does this mean my suspension is maladjusted somehow (Reg Pridemore suggested this last year) - but it feels fine to me!

If it matters, I'm running Pirelli Diablo Corsas (120/70 front, 180/55 rear) at about 31 psi in both.
    Rich L
    2001 Aprilia RSV-R
    2006 BMW R12GS

apriliaforum Member

chx strips

I know you said guys, but ...
    getting all the way to the edge of the front is pretty unusual for even the really fast guys/girls.
    Regardless of bike, I've usually got at least 1/4 on the edge of the front, more if it's my 250 and I'm running a 120 instead of a 110. Pretty much the same deal on the Mille, 636, Duc, etc.

Splat

Tires are not the same profile so you will never get to the edge of the front tire. If you are out to the edge on the back you are pretty much done leaning...after that you just don't have any more rubber

Here check this out....I asked the same question a while ago:
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...?threadid=9834

My Website for Aprilia Motorcycle Docs/Videos/Games

SOLD 8/2006

2003 Aprilia Mille RSV-R (Black) * Aprilia EVO Ti Shotgun Exhaust * EVO/FP Chip * '99-'01 Rubber Airbox Inlet * OEM 16T Front Sprocket * Stealth Hybrid 44T Sprocket * Evoluzione Air Box/Filter * R&G Front and Rear Sliders * Motovation Swingarm Sliders * Millepede Fork Sliders * Custom Painted Black Windscreen * Decals by CKruzel * LP Short Stalk V Carbon Blinkers * Evoluzione License Relocator Bracket * Gold Windscreen Bolts * Gold Vave Stem Caps * Aprilia Racing GP Shift

Yeapers... Splat is right on it. This was a pic of the Diablo SuperCorsas I ran on at the end of May. SC-2 front, SC-3 back. Kind of hard to see but with a full day of knee dragging there is still a 1/4 inch of nice new tire at the edges.

To the "State of California" -You can have my "Akrapovic" when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!

2010 RSV4 Factory - '09 SXV550
    '02 R1, '04 RSVR, '02 RSV

apriliaforum expert
    Originally posted by Waxerdog
    Yeapers... Splat is right on it. This was a pic of the Diablo SuperCorsas I ran on at the end of May. SC-2 front, SC-3 back. Kind of hard to see but with a full day of knee dragging there is still a 1/4 inch of nice new tire at the edges.

waxerdog - you have some serious rear suspension issues by looking at the right side of you tire. doesnt matter if the track has all right handers, a Pirelli shouldnt tear up like that

if your rear rebound kinda fast, or kinda slow?

how many clicks out is your compression and what kind of sag are you running?

might be able to get at least an extra day out of that rear tire, the fact that the tearing starts and stops gives me a few clues to what is going on but i wont give you my 2c, yet

apriliaforum newb
    It all depends on riding style aswell it is quite easy to get to the edge of a rear tyre even on the road,but if you go rushing into bends hard on the brakes then stopping it mid corner,then getting on the power out you will not use much of the front tyre,if you have much mid corner speed you will start to use it more.I did three seasons of 250cc national competition in the UK and was on the pace but didn`t use as many tyres as other competitors,I can also tear up my tyres like that on the road on a 1989 FZR1000 EXUP.

Rich,
    It's mostly tire profile but as your speeds increase you'll be stressing the front more and more and you'll find they'll be fairly even.

Waxerdog...while the pix is not the best I'm leaning with Clarkie. Corsa's tend to easily tear when cold but based on the direction in the pix and not continuous I'd be looking at suspension damping.
    Chuck B
    Arizona

Thanx for the input Clarkie and Chuck. It was the big track at Willow Springs. 95deg day, had to be much hotter on the track... and yes, the track is almost all right handed. 9 turns, 3 lefts and 6 rights, and many of the rights are big long rights.

But not to worry, it was a one time deal on that bike. Off the showroom floor settings for an 02 RSV on those tires. I'm putting all my time and effort into setting up my 04. Don't have the time or money to play both.
    To the "State of California" -You can have my "Akrapovic" when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!

2010 RSV4 Factory - '09 SXV550
    '02 R1, '04 RSVR, '02 RSV

"If it matters, I'm running Pirelli Diablo Corsas (120/70 front, 180/55 rear) at about 31 psi in both."

From what I've been told, run more PSI in the Diablo's. I've been told to run as much as 36 PSI front and rear. I ran 32/33 at Beaver run earlier this year and my rear was shot in 1.5 days. Since then I've gone up to 34/35 with no change in grip, however, they are wearing much much better.

I also have a question. I've read here and some other places of people going from a 190 rear to a 180 rear to help increase turning speed. I asked a couple of friends about that and I got a look like this They're reply was that your loosing possible grip while leaned over and any inrease in transition speed if any at all wouldn't be worth the loss of grip. Now these are my friends that race FomulaUSA and AMA Pro, so I think it's pretty credible.

With that said, I'm pretty much over on my front and rear. Could going to a 180 limit possible lean angle, which means that a 190 is the better choice?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Sorry to jump in with pictures of my tires, but did my first trackday last weekend at Nashville Superspeedway and was wondering how the rear looked to the much more experienced eyes around this board. I'm running Diablo Corsas (front and rear) with 34/36 lbs of pressure respectively. Nashville is 10 turns, mostly left handers... Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

apriliaforum prov-nov
    ...now the right side...

The tire looks good at that pressure Warren. Looks like your getting your money's worth too!
    In theory, there is no difference between theory & practice. In practice, there is.

Originally posted by Dug206
    "If it matters, I'm running Pirelli Diablo Corsas (120/70 front, 180/55 rear) at about 31 psi in both."

From what I've been told, run more PSI in the Diablo's. I've been told to run as much as 36 PSI front and rear. I ran 32/33 at Beaver run earlier this year and my rear was shot in 1.5 days. Since then I've gone up to 34/35 with no change in grip, however, they are wearing much much better.

I also have a question. I've read here and some other places of people going from a 190 rear to a 180 rear to help increase turning speed. I asked a couple of friends about that and I got a look like this They're reply was that your loosing possible grip while leaned over and any inrease in transition speed if any at all wouldn't be worth the loss of grip. Now these are my friends that race FomulaUSA and AMA Pro, so I think it's pretty credible.

With that said, I'm pretty much over on my front and rear. Could going to a 180 limit possible lean angle, which means that a 190 is the better choice?
    Dug,

The advantage of the 190 is that you can get on the gas harder sooner, at max lean. I wonder if your friends are running the 190/50 or the 190/55? I believe they mean losing grip while leaned over on the gas hard. Then I would agree with thier comment. On a tight track I would go with the 180. You won't loose lean angle as much as give up some drive. But if your cornering quicker on the 180 then... It's more of a traction thing depending on your riding style.

Here are a couple of old threads that touch on the subject:

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...threadid=14451

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...threadid=13181
    Last edited by mfbRSV; 06-25-2004 at 09:49 PM.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory & practice. In practice, there is.

Splat,

Of course when I say "experienced guys" I mean: "people more experienced than me " !!! All input is welcome.

Here are photos of my tires after 2 days at VIR North, cloudy but generally warm weather:

Notice there's quite a bit of tread left at the edges.
    Rich L
    2001 Aprilia RSV-R
    2006 BMW R12GS

And the rear - it seems like I'm using all of the rear, and there's a weird angled pattern that is only partly noticeable in this photo, kinda like early cupping maybe?

What do you guys think, am I running the tires too soft?

Or is this just a consequence of using a street tire for the track?
    Rich L
    2001 Aprilia RSV-R
    2006 BMW R12GS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast