Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31

Thread: Just bought a Scooter!

  1. #16
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Clearwater, Fl
    Posts
    8,255
    I don't get to see the header from the riding position on my Sport City 250 so I never really noticed.

    Haven't healed up well enough to ride yet and it will be a while as the effusion in the knee still hasn't cleared up enough yet to put full weight on it.

    I am now really wishing I was wearing some form of leg/knee protection when I went down at about 40 mph (I thought I was going slower however witnesses tell me it was at least 40 mph) the rest of me was unscathed as the helmet, gloves, boots and jacket did their jobs preventing injury so I was able to return to work after 1/2 day. A 250 or 300 cc scooter still requires protective gear just like a motorcycle.

    I cringe when I see the flipflop, shorts and tee riders with nothing to protect them in a fall riding the Interstates and Highways here.

  2. #17
    apriliaforum expert Nonno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hunter Valley, Australia
    Posts
    4,620
    I've now had a couple of months of running around on weekends on my 2010 GTS300 and it's made some of the weekend chores/running around much more enjoyable. Never having ridden a scooter, it of course felt quite strange at first and I wasn't really sure of what was "normal" and what wasn't in how it behaved. I am though now pretty sure I need to sort out the front end. It feels very sloppy to be frank. I noticed yesterday that if you take your hands off the bars, the front soon starts to wiggle at an every increasing rate until you grab hold of it again. Don't feel it through the bars as such when riding along, but it sort of illustrates that "sloppiness" in the front end. I've checked to make sure nothing is lose, as it almost feels like there is something not done up tight, but that's not the case. So I can only assume it is the front shock? And was wondering if a better after market unit may be a fix, like, http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...dProduct=56123

    Anyone have any experience they could share?
    Gen 1 Tuono
    Tuono V4

  3. #18
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Clearwater, Fl
    Posts
    8,255
    Many times head shake is from underinflated front tires getting feathered wear from moderate to hard front braking. The tread blocks squirm while braking causing the leading edge of the tread block to wear off so that with a alternating tread pattern the tread grabs alternately on the left and right side of the bike causing the handlbars to shake. Once the wear get pronounced the only real cure is to replace the front tire. Upping the tire pressure 1 to 2 psi while not going over the max rating for the tire can eliminate this if the tire is not worn too badly yet.

    Check the front tire with a critical eye before going to crazy looking for other issues if there are none obviously presenting themselves.

  4. #19
    apriliaforum expert Nonno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hunter Valley, Australia
    Posts
    4,620
    Tyre looks good, and only has 1400km's on it.
    Gen 1 Tuono
    Tuono V4

  5. #20
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Clearwater, Fl
    Posts
    8,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonno View Post
    Tyre looks good, and only has 1400km's on it.
    That's all it takes. You may not be able to see the feathering at first without using a straight edge.

    How close were the tire pressures to spec? Did you try upping them 1 to 2 psi over whats stating on the inflation chart in the owners manual?

  6. #21
    apriliaforum expert Nonno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hunter Valley, Australia
    Posts
    4,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    That's all it takes. You may not be able to see the feathering at first without using a straight edge.

    How close were the tire pressures to spec? Did you try upping them 1 to 2 psi over whats stating on the inflation chart in the owners manual?
    25psi, but ill check it again.
    Gen 1 Tuono
    Tuono V4

  7. #22
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Clearwater, Fl
    Posts
    8,255
    Also need to be sure to set the preload on the rear shocks to match your weight. With the shorter wheel base on the scooter even one click too light on the preload can cause an off balanced feel.

    If you changed bar end weights to lighter or windshield that can also be a factor.

  8. #23
    apriliaforum expert Nonno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hunter Valley, Australia
    Posts
    4,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    Also need to be sure to set the preload on the rear shocks to match your weight. With the shorter wheel base on the scooter even one click too light on the preload can cause an off balanced feel.

    If you changed bar end weights to lighter or windshield that can also be a factor.

    mmm, I did add a screen..
    Gen 1 Tuono
    Tuono V4

  9. #24
    Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    37 miles E. of ATX, TX USA.
    Posts
    27,886
    I run about 27/30 (cool weather, front to rear) in colder months and 30/32-33 for/rr for hotter weather. I definitely prefer the roughly 10% higher rear tire pressure. On my two big frame Vespa scooters one runs fully stock suspension on 2nd softest preload ramp, the other modified one runs full rear preload to as closely match the preload on the front Bitubo as possible. I truly wish apparently Öhlins made a full kit for the Vespa scooters. If they did I'd swap to newest fork design from 2015 models and fully adjustable Öhlins front and back. Tried full Bitubo but while I like the front OK I liked the stock rear shocks better.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

    Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

  10. #25
    apriliaforum expert Nonno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hunter Valley, Australia
    Posts
    4,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Racing View Post
    I run about 27/30 (cool weather, front to rear) in colder months and 30/32-33 for/rr for hotter weather. I definitely prefer the roughly 10% higher rear tire pressure. On my two big frame Vespa scooters one runs fully stock suspension on 2nd softest preload ramp, the other modified one runs full rear preload to as closely match the preload on the front Bitubo as possible. I truly wish apparently Öhlins made a full kit for the Vespa scooters. If they did I'd swap to newest fork design from 2015 models and fully adjustable Öhlins front and back. Tried full Bitubo but while I like the front OK I liked the stock rear shocks better.
    Does the Bitubo front take some of the sloppiness out of the front Micah?
    Gen 1 Tuono
    Tuono V4

  11. #26
    apriliaforum expert oluckymana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    sydney australia
    Posts
    510
    Nonno....you just gotta remember the Vespa is not a sport bike....
    ....let's have another drink....

    2011 Black Mana GT ABS

    2006 SR70
    Morini
    Polini BBK
    Chrome Leo Vince ZX pipe
    Motoforce R6 shock
    ECU in development mode
    (more when I find out what)

  12. #27
    apriliaforum expert yzr750's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brisbane Australia
    Posts
    8,059
    Quote Originally Posted by oluckymana View Post
    Nonno....you just gotta remember the Vespa is not a sport bike....
    if he gets the Ohlins it'll knock, 0.8 seconds off the trip to the shops

  13. #28
    Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    37 miles E. of ATX, TX USA.
    Posts
    27,886
    Yes, some of the slop but it is still a vintage design of scooter fork. Hence the reason eventually if I find a salvage rear hit 2015+ model I will swap that fork over...and get a shock probably for it.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

    Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

  14. #29
    apriliaforum expert Nonno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hunter Valley, Australia
    Posts
    4,620
    Quote Originally Posted by oluckymana View Post
    Nonno....you just gotta remember the Vespa is not a sport bike....
    Yeah, ok. I did figure that when I started dragging the side stand around left hand corners that it may be time to reevaluate my approach to scooter riding. I've since slowed down a bit, and accordingly, maybe I just need to live with the front end as it is!
    Gen 1 Tuono
    Tuono V4

  15. #30
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Clearwater, Fl
    Posts
    8,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonno View Post
    Yeah, ok. I did figure that when I started dragging the side stand around left hand corners that it may be time to reevaluate my approach to scooter riding. I've since slowed down a bit, and accordingly, maybe I just need to live with the front end as it is!
    Sounds like you need a Sport City instead.

    A co-worker with the Vespa 300GT did feel that changing to the Michelin Power Pure was probably the best thing he ever did with his as it made it seem like a new more planted bike.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Need maintenance advice for used scooter I just bought
    By Sparky613 in forum RS50 Technical
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-01-2012, 01:43 AM
  2. I just bought an NSR250, don't gun me down :)
    By GanjamanUSS in forum RS250
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-07-2003, 04:33 PM
  3. Just Bought a 2000 SR50
    By texture in forum Scarabeo 50, SR50, Mojito 50, Rally, Fly 50
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-23-2003, 08:09 PM
  4. RST 1000 Just Bought One.
    By allanapriliaforum in forum RST1000 Futura (all years)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-14-2003, 06:04 AM
  5. Just bought one
    By BeemerGuyNJ in forum ETV1000 CapoNord (2001-2007)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-03-2002, 08:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •