Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: H11 LED (Cree) healight upgrade anyone?

apriliaforum newb
    My local Aprilia dealer recommended these H11 LED headlight bulbs for my Mana. Should I expect them to fit and be reliable?

PIAA Platinum H11 LED Bulb
    http://www.piaa.com/store/p/992-Plat...Twin-Pack.aspx

Do we still like the Riozoma Zero 11 turn signals? I think PSolk mounted them in 2012. Are they still the best?
    Has anybody mounted front LED turn signals that also act as running lights?

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    It's been nearly a year since this thread was updated and LED headlight bulbs seem to have advanced a long way in that time. So has anybody swapped in any of the new CREE LED headlights on their Mana? The standard bulb really isn't up to the job especially round my local country lanes, so I need to do some sort of upgrade, but don't want all the messing about or expense that HIDs will incur (or the fogged headlight front from the heat).

Hi Andy,

have you done any upgrade on your head light so far?

I live in Kent and I have got the same issue at night, I am in the process of upgrading my OME with the osram night braker laser. I hope you don't mind if I ask your opinion.

Thanks
    Nico

Quote Originally Posted by Caienna72 View Post
    Hi Andy,

have you done any upgrade on your head light so far?

I live in Kent and I have got the same issue at night, I am in the process of upgrading my OME with the osram night braker laser. I hope you don't mind if I ask your opinion.

Thanks
    Nico
    Hi Nico, I upgraded to a pair of night racer bulbs. They are the bike equivalent of night breakers and designed to withstand the higher shock loads from a bike. Ride magazine recently did a big comparison on bulbs and the night racers were a Best Buy. They have made a big difference.

LED bulbs are now much better than the early versions, but still don’t work as well as normal filament bulbs as the reflectors are not designed for them so don’t focus the beam as well. The heat sink or fans on the back also make fitting LEDs a pain.
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    Hi Nico, I upgraded to a pair of night racer bulbs. They are the bike equivalent of night breakers and designed to withstand the higher shock loads from a bike. Ride magazine recently did a big comparison on bulbs and the night racers were a Best Buy. They have made a big difference.

LED bulbs are now much better than the early versions, but still don’t work as well as normal filament bulbs as the reflectors are not designed for them so don’t focus the beam as well. The heat sink or fans on the back also make fitting LEDs a pain.

Hi Andy,

i purchased the night breaker, i will fit it and in future i will opt for the night racer.

once again many thanks
    Nico

Just a thought on the Halogen/LED debate. Modern bikes have more than enough charging capacity to run everything plus lots of accessories. If anything my GT has a tendency to slightly overcharge (as indicated by my tell tale charge warning light). It will happily run the headlights and heated grips and keep my phone charged when using it as a satnav and I guess I could add heated clothing as well if I wanted with no problems. I haven't seen any major or common issues with the reg/rec on here so it looks like the whole charge system is up to the job.

Swapping to LED bulbs is fine if you can find one that fits inside the housing and works with the reflector in the headlight. The position of the actual LED chips is the critical bit as they must duplicate the original position of the bulb element to retain focus. If an LED bulb doesn't work with the reflector you could end up dazzling other drivers and potentially failing an MOT test if the beam cut off can't be angled down enough. Simply adding more light output is only part of the issue. If it is spread out over a wider area due to poor focus it may not be any sort of gain.

Also, and it's counter intuitive, swapping to LED bulbs could actually put more strain on the reg/rec. The bike will use less power which forces the reg/rec to work harder. Consuming more power allows the Reg/rec to work cooler as it passes more power through to keep everything running. An old trick on bikes with known dodgy Rec/recs (in the days when headlights had on/off switches) was to simply run with the headlight on all the time as this kept the Reg/rec cooler so it didn't burn out as quick.
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders

apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar
    i have these far my mana and caponord. thety have boards specific to the bikes so make sure you get the right ones. https://www.weisertechnik.com/aprilia

andyt is so right about the led placement. i have some philips leds in the mana and they provide some whiter light. however the main beam is at a 45 degree angle so the pattern is wonky. these guys have some leds with adjustable bases. https://headlightrevolution.com

i also have a herd of rigid industies led lights as auxiliaries on both bikes. i runs a flood and spot down low as almost running lights for both bikes in this https://www.rigidindustries.com/igni...es-ignite.html realy cool because they are a hi/lo setup. this on the mana sort of, i think they make a newer version https://www.rigidindustries.com/sr-m...-m-series.html
    these on the caponord https://www.rigidindustries.com/d-se...-d-series.html

rigid isn't cheap but they are a solid product with solid customer support. btw they are less $$$ on amazon.
    Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

apriliaforum newb
    I've always thought that the big, round Mana headlight was ugly. My 2009 is tricked out with lots of pretty carbon fiber and so forth, but it can't hide that giant cyclops. I've always like the look of the shiver headlight and thought about doing the swap as detailed on the forum.... but... there's the money barrier- seems awfully steep. I found this on Ebay, and the price is right. I'm going to try adapting it to my Mana. I've already done an HID conversion on the existing headlight.... lets see where this goes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...0/392255604614

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12