Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: GP Red Bull de la República Argentina [spoilers]

If you're Jeremy Burgess, do you just cry yourself to sleep after all of this? In spite of possible expectations to the contrary, it seems that the big change in Rossi's fortunes correlates well with Galbusera's arrival. Here's hoping that the Yamaha, the crew and Rossi have aligned to bring a proper fight to Honda this year. Things are looking up!

Also nice to see Dovi on a competitive bike after so many years of being the loyal rider getting the dickover.

apriliaforum expert
    You can tell a lot by Rossi's body language over the years. Early on, he was the clown, pretty loose and enjoying life. Even Yamaha 2004 he had an air of confidence about him that no other rider on the grid had back then.

2006 you could see a little depseration in the mechanical failures and rare injuries he suffered as the season progressed. In the end it was his error that cost him that championship. 2007 was similar, he knew he was going as fast as he could but the Yamaha (and Michelin) just were not up to it.

The remainder of the decade (08-09) saw his return to confidence and basically riding downhill most of the time. He was the class of the field more often than not. Confident, loose.

2010 could have been the beginning of the end of his career. Two bad injuries, teammate faster than he was, and he wasn't getting any younger. I don't know about you but his win late that season in his body language almost seemed like a relief to prove to himself that he "still had it".

2011-12 the dark Ducati days. You could tell he was hating life and visibly looked uncomfortable on the bike, especially in the dry. He was no doubt counting the days before he could get off the thing.

2013-14 saw a slow return to some level of confidence and comfort riding, at least to my eye. He might have been frustrated last year that Marquez was so fast early in the season, but at least he was the best of the rest and could take comfort in knowing that he still had the ability.

This year he looks to have something more than simple confidence. More like swagger he had a decade ago. Barring bad luck, I think he will be right there with Marquez. He also has a 30 point lead, which means Marquez could win the next five races in a row and if Rossi is second in them, he still has the championship lead. If this were to occur IMO it would frustrate Marquez and possibly lead to further errors in judgment on track. One more DNF for MM and the championship might be difficult for him. I see 2015 having the potential to be like 2008 with Marquez playing the Stoner role. Frustration + desperation + immaturity = DNF.

In a possible scenario, imagine later in the season Rossi has a points lead, close to Marquez but way over Lorenzo. Would Yamaha order Lorenzo to play a supporting role? Would he do it?

Quote Originally Posted by riot View Post
    If you're Jeremy Burgess, do you just cry yourself to sleep after all of this? In spite of possible expectations to the contrary, it seems that the big change in Rossi's fortunes correlates well with Galbusera's arrival. Here's hoping that the Yamaha, the crew and Rossi have aligned to bring a proper fight to Honda this year. Things are looking up!

Also nice to see Dovi on a competitive bike after so many years of being the loyal rider getting the dickover.
    I don't know why Burgess would cry himself to sleep.

If you go back and re-read the interviews he gave, he said he completely understood why Rossi did what he did, and that time would tell if it was the correct strategy.
    Based on his performance since that time, I would venture to say that Rossi's strategy has worked and that he has been able to capture a lot of what SBurns referred to.

For the record, I disagree completely with the manner in which Burgess' dismissal happened. To end the professional relationship in such a poorly handled public way was really disappointing to see in Rossi.

Rossi is definitely looking good. It seems the championship will likely be between him and MM, with maybe Dovi trying to sneak in there.

Lets not be too quick to rule MM out due to a DNF though. Since hopping on the big bikes in 2000, Rossi has had only 2 season without a DNF (or DNS): 2003 & 2008. It's likely he'll have a DNF this season to match MM's. He's only won the championship while having more the one DNF once though (2004).
    WMRRA #98
    2013 KTM 990 SMT (street)
    2009 Yamaha R6 (race)

Quote Originally Posted by JedB View Post
    I don't know why Burgess would cry himself to sleep.

If you go back and re-read the interviews he gave, he said he completely understood why Rossi did what he did, and that time would tell if it was the correct strategy.
    Based on his performance since that time, I would venture to say that Rossi's strategy has worked and that he has been able to capture a lot of what SBurns referred to.

For the record, I disagree completely with the manner in which Burgess' dismissal happened. To end the professional relationship in such a poorly handled public way was really disappointing to see in Rossi.
    Absolutely, and the way he acted during the bad duc years, even Hayden stuck it out and was more professional.

apriliaforum expert
    London, (England) 213miles NNW Paris (France)
    Yamaha had tyre issues in Texas, Honda had tyre issues in Argentina. You have to make hay while the sun shines but also you have to be smart enough to recognize when it's not happening and settle for second best. MM is a smart kid and he will have learnt from this , it's going to be a fascinating season, but far too early to call yet.

As for fnfman's remarks that Pedrosa is a "pussy". Get over yourself, he has just been really unlucky. You can almost guarantee that if he'd taken a spill like MM did yesterday then he would have broken bones. None of those racers on that grid lack bottle, despite Melandri trying to prove otherwise

apriliaforum prov-nov Corsoster's Avatar
    Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 375
Size:  62.0 KBThe GOAT has spoken!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahaha

I thought this one was pretty good.

Probably more appropriate to his COTA performance though....

Quote Originally Posted by V4Victory View Post
    Yamaha had tyre issues in Texas, Honda had tyre issues in Argentina. You have to make hay while the sun shines but also you have to be smart enough to recognize when it's not happening and settle for second best. MM is a smart kid and he will have learnt from this , it's going to be a fascinating season, but far too early to call yet.

As for fnfman's remarks that Pedrosa is a "pussy". Get over yourself, he has just been really unlucky. You can almost guarantee that if he'd taken a spill like MM did yesterday then he would have broken bones. None of those racers on that grid lack bottle, despite Melandri trying to prove otherwise
    Pedrosa always backed off when the heat gets hot.

He has all the skills in the world but not the temerity of a champion.
    03 BMW Rockster, 07 (USA) Aprilia Tuono R, 07 KTM 990 Adventure, 2006 SR50 Factory Ditech, 2009 RS125.

Cogito ergo vroom - I think therefore I ride.

Quote Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
    Pedrosa always backed off when the heat gets hot.

He has all the skills in the world but not the temerity of a champion.
    This is true, I was watching some old motogp races a while ago and Pedrosa just would not go where Rossi, Stoner and Lorenzo would, they would be putting in passes and Pedrosa would just sit back and watch.
    seesecurity.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by wingman03 View Post
    Someone is in someone's head now.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking, although MM probably did himself in with sheer recklessness. Like others have said, after that first bump he should've just settled for 2nd place. There's was no way he was going to catch V46 after Rossi's pass.

This is going to be a great season!
    I am Governor Jerry Brown
    My aura smiles
    And never frowns
    Soon I will be president...

IMHO, if Rossi is in anyone's head its Lorenzos.
    2013 Tuono APRC ABS
    1982 LeMans Mk3

Always leave people better than you found them!

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The 2nd best time is today!

Quote Originally Posted by OZSLR View Post
    IMHO, if Rossi is in anyone's head its Lorenzos.
    Lorenzo probably does a good enough job on his own...

How are you going, Trev?
    Nice to see you back online here.

Indeed, it has to be eating away at him.

RSV4R APRC 13'
    AR GP2 V3 - Race ECU - Bazzaz FI - BMC Filter - Andreani Piston Kit - K-Tech Springs - Nitron Race - Gold OZ Piega R Wheels
    BMW M3 04'

Quote Originally Posted by JedB View Post
    Lorenzo probably does a good enough job on his own...

How are you going, Trev?
    Nice to see you back online here.
    Cheers mate, much appreciated!

Life is heading in a positive direction 2 years down the track for my daughter and I. We've had some great people help us along the way and are better equipped to reflect on what we had not what we lost and to look forward positively. Mind you, parenting an almost 18YO has its challenges 😊. Hope all goes well with you in the same regard and I'll drop you a PM when I get a chance.
    2013 Tuono APRC ABS
    1982 LeMans Mk3

Always leave people better than you found them!

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The 2nd best time is today!

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast