Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '13 issue with coolant lines... Aprilia Performance FB page has me a bit freaked out!

'13 issue with coolant lines... Aprilia Performance FB page has me a bit freaked out!

Started my bike yesterday and discovered I had a small leak from this hose, went away after I started riding, but I took this pic after my first stop and posted it on the Aprilia Performance FB page.

Some of comments are coming back saying "head gasket"... I live 800 km from the nearest Aprilia dealer (Minneapolis or 1300 to Calgary) and my warranty ends at the end of the month.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else had this issue? The bike is running fine, although I had a coolant leak coming from the front of bike last year and I couldn't figure out exactly where it was coming from, although it has stopped now. I don't think the bike has overheated, unless 104*C in traffic is overheating.
    2013 Matte Black Aprilia RSV4 R APRC ABS
    Done: GPR Thunderslash slip-on, clear turn signal lenses, Graves sliders, ASV shorty red levers, Puig dark smoke racing windscreen, Comp Werkes tail tidy
    2009 Code Orange Aprilia Shiver SL750 [SOLD]

Mine was fixed under warranty. Seems to be a known issue.
    --
    Track Fanatics Facebook / Events Page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/trackfanatics/
    -
    2016 RSV4 RF LE Factory #76 | 2016 RSV4 RF Factory (RACE A BIKE) | 2008 GSX-R 1000 (RACE B BIKE)
    2013 GSX-R 600 (RACE A BIKE) | 2009 GSX-R 600 (RACE B BIKE) | 2007.5 Tuono 1000R (Akrapovic pipes)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman666 View Post
    Mine was fixed under warranty. Seems to be a known issue.
    What was the issue exactly?
    Done: GPR Thunderslash slip-on, clear turn signal lenses, Graves sliders, ASV shorty red levers, Puig dark smoke racing windscreen, Comp Werkes tail tidy

Leaking head gasket, IIRC
    --
    Track Fanatics Facebook / Events Page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/trackfanatics/
    -
    2016 RSV4 RF LE Factory #76 | 2016 RSV4 RF Factory (RACE A BIKE) | 2008 GSX-R 1000 (RACE B BIKE)
    2013 GSX-R 600 (RACE A BIKE) | 2009 GSX-R 600 (RACE B BIKE) | 2007.5 Tuono 1000R (Akrapovic pipes)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman666 View Post
    Leaking head gasket, IIRC
    Yikes... Looks like I'll have to figure something out.

apriliaforum Member
    If you have a warranty that expires soon, you might as well bite the bullet and make the trek to the dealer, unless paying out of your own pocket won't bother you.

apriliaforum expert
    Before you jump to the conclusion of the head gasket, you might want to replace the hose clamp(s). That hose itself looks a little funky; almost looks like it has swelled a bit and backed a little off where it should be. The stock hose clamps are supposedly single use, and are commonly replaced for this very reason.

Edit: the above is specifically about the hose pictured, not the leak at the front, which could technically be something else. Sounds like you might have two different issues.

apriliaforum Member
    I had some manifold or something fail related to the cooling system (I am not a techie) and that was also fixed under warranty. Pain in the ass. was about to head out for a ride too.
    2007 MV Agusta F4 Senna (#148)
    2012 Apriia RSV4 Factory APRC

What am I missing here? Why jump to the conclusion of a blown head gasket? Is there any other sympthom suggesting that? Foamy "milkshake" in the oil or cooling system? Bike overheating? If it's just a leak, then the hose clamps on this bike are known to be a bit suspect. Start with easy stuff... replace the clamp and see if the leak stops. The hose does look like it's swelling, maybe replace the hose as well?

Quote Originally Posted by cmutza View Post
    What am I missing here? Why jump to the conclusion of a blown head gasket? Is there any other sympthom suggesting that? Foamy "milkshake" in the oil or cooling system? Bike overheating? If it's just a leak, then the hose clamps on this bike are known to be a bit suspect. Start with easy stuff... replace the clamp and see if the leak stops. The hose does look like it's swelling, maybe replace the hose as well?
    Bike runs just fine and has no issues cooling while riding at speed as opposed to riding in traffic... Haven't checked for "milkshake" but I will check when I get home. Leaking only happened when I started the bike, after I started riding it, the leaking stopped and didn't continue (same as the leak I had in the front before). I was going to swap to new Samco hoses and clamps anyway, so I could do that... But if I want warranty to cover it, I have to get to the dealer by May 1st and it's looking like I'll have to ride the bike there (1300 km).

apriliaforum expert Apriliabåårg's Avatar

'13 issue with coolant lines... Aprilia Performance FB page has me a bit freaked out!

I totally agree with you cmutza...

Found out exactly were the coolant comes from. These bikes have very known issues with clamps and coolant manifolds...
    YouTube channel: Motomade78
    Small edit with flyby and more: http://youtu.be/7LY3ym8uQuU

Aprilia RSV4 R '10 a-PRC retrofitted and Ohlins Factory suspension
    Aprilia Racing Akrapovič EVO | Race ECU | '13 race map | a-PRC Retrofitted | Ohlins forks | Ohlins steering damper | Ohlins shock | Flyhammer top yoke | Puig smoked windscreen | ASV C5 black shorty levers | Samco stainless steel hose clamp kit | Integrated clear taillight | Rear sprocket Superlite SR7 42(+2) | Giles shift shaft support | NGK Iridium spark plugs | Titanium bolts |

Honda CBR 1100 XX Super Blackbird (2UP Bike)
    Akrapovič Titanium SP-Series | PCIII USB | Custom MAP | MRA smoked windscreen |

Previous bikes:
    Kawasaki ZX-10R '07
    Kawasaki ZX-9R '98
    Kawasaki ZX-6R '97

My bike leaked coolant from the hose exiting the water pump on the first day I rode it home from the dealership. I replaced all of the clamps with the kit from AF1 and everything has been good since.

My 11' leaked in that spot also during a trackday when temps were high. It was just the clamp in my case.
    CURRENT BIKE
    2013 Multistrada S Touring
    2004 Tuono Factory

apriliaforum Member
    i have a 2013 and mine has leaked a lil bit since i got it. only does it when the temp is around 35deg and below. once the bike is warmed up it stops.

They'll repair that on warranty.
    --
    -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast