Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new 2003 Futura Owner

apriliaforum Member chefdanny69's Avatar

new 2003 Futura Owner

Hello all i just wanted to introduce myself! my name is Danny and i finally got a futura! the bike is a 2003 in mint condition, it has 16k mikes and is 100% stock, which i like, i am so happy with the bike, she rides so smooth and i have taken her for many highway and back country roads, amazing how smooth and stable the bike is! i will post pics, this bike is really amazing and i plan on touring with her many miles! i have 2 trips planned americade in june and i am doing a trip to deals gap in june,

always DannyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	11088391_373410892842710_4440847380254842386_n.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	276073Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11081121_373410986176034_41702147151779815_n.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	276074Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11091561_373411096176023_5357790166754198254_n (1).jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	276075

welcome to the nuthouse, aka the best forum around.

Yikes, it still has the ugly frame stickers - feel free to remove those.

If you did not get service records, the 1st thing you should do is lift the seat and check charge voltage at 4k. With the seat now off, the 2nd thing you should do is lift the tank and verify that the quick release at the throttle body for the fuel's return line is no longer plastic. If the elbow is plastic, I'd not ride the bike until it was replaced with a metal part.

There's a host of other stuff you'll learn about at some point. But overall, even at 12 years old, it'll be a hoot to own and ride.

It was a NHTSA recalled item. They broke relatively new. At 12 years old, again, I'd not want to ride it w/o knowing it's been replaced.

Nice color btw.

oh, WAFO

hello and thanks, when i check the battery it should read 14volts correct when running? i want to check the quick disconnect, how do i lift the tank? also i have noticed that sometimes my blinker stays on doesn't blink if i am at a light and in neutral, is that normal? i remember i had a porsche 944 and it did that sometimes? the blinker blinks kind of slow as well?

Once the seat is off, on its underside is a prop rod. Pop that out of its retaining clips 1st and slide it in your back pocket. There's a small trim piece (2 hex head screws) at the front of the tank. Remove that. Under it are 2 small bolts with an 8mm head. Those are the front mounts for the tank. The tank can then be hinged upward from the front. Use the prop rod (one end in one of the tank's holes and the other in stem nut's hole) to hold it up. It's a pretty cool set-up.

That quick release fitting is on the left side of the TB unit. The recall only replaced the plastic elbow part that's attached to a hose on the TB. All metal would be better, but having that plastic elbow gone is at the top of the list.

You really should have 14V at idle and 14.2-14.4 or maybe 14.5 at 4k. The OE regulator was a POS. Charge voltage w/o adding some extra wires was low at idle and even lower at 4k. Adding the extra wiring bumped charge voltage to 14.1 or so at idle but only 13.9 at 4K. Measuring voltage at the battery when it's running will answer a lot of questions.

A turn signal that blinks slowly or not at all at idle is sorta indicative that the charge voltage is low. It could also just mean that one bulb was replaced with one that's too low a wattage or you have a wiring issue somewhere for the signals. That would result in too little current going thru the blinker to operate properly. Measure the charge voltage.

Very nice. It's the fastest color too.
    JD

Futura
    Bunch of dirtbikes

WAFO. This will be quite an adventure. Good things mentioned to check, I will add checking the torque on the rear hub nut. This is a really critical part. A very good compilation of fixes, things to check etc has been assembled in the "stickies" section of this Futura forum. It's an incredible source of knowledge, experience and support.
    01 Blue #84, 11/12 with: HeliBars, foam grips, 05 map, Borla cans (Replaced by 2" pipe)/stock silencer, derestricted, metal QD, dash socket, wiring mod. Me: Ford relay +10awg & grd, fuel pump rewire, FPR, vac hoses. Evap gone, CBR coils/harness+ Magnecor, clutch switch bypass. S.S. clutch & front line, RaceTech Gold fork, Cogent rebuilt Sachs, tapered head bearings. Added LED run lights/indicators/brake. All signals also run lights. All lights but Hi/park/brake on dash switch. Hi beam mod, vest plug, wiring block, blue dash SMD's/Red V meter, Tune IFT, PCIII gone. Stripped/polished rims, vented screen, rear petal disc. FH008 soldered DC plug/added grd/hard soldered AC. L/R dash indicator lights, RG frame/fork sliders, vented screen.

Welcome! I just acquired a Futura myself and it been a dream come true. Love the bike. Just got back from the first weekend trip on it.

i have a friend who is good with electrics, i am going to check everything and will keep u posted on my prognosis! i keep the battery on a trickle charger, havent had any starting issues, my headlights are super bright! my blinkers are slow, but i will check the voltage! as in mpg, i have been doing well i believe, i got 38 mpg on my second tank and allot of it was highway cruising between 70-90 mph, some city and some gassing, i think i can easily get 40+ if i take it easy on the shifts and keep it under 75mph, i just cant get over how dam smooth the bike is! it just purs, nice and quiet. i plan on leaving it stock with all the original stickers and maybe show it at bike shows, keeping it bone stock, again i am glad i finally got one, funny story is that in 1999 i bought a cbr 900rr and the dealer was an aprilia dealer and i always loved the futura, the owner of the shop let me take the futura for a ride and i was just amazed with the bike, but then i couldn'tClick image for larger version. 

Name:	19627_373750666142066_2419840343295037822_n.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	276235Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10426329_373749796142153_7947989607608084074_n.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	276236 afford it and he did say that one day i will get one, well 16 years later i finally did and i am so glad, i have some really great pics of my rideClick image for larger version. 

Name:	11082527_373750762808723_8347025289649053413_n.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	181.5 KB 
ID:	276234

It's a classic and it's getting hard to find a low mileage clean example. Do all the forum recommended updates and the Futura will go 100K no problem. My Futura never needed a valve adjustment in the 40K I owned it! The Rotax engines are bullet proof!

Rotax V990's at least are bulletproof

Dammit - I need to break the 11,000 mi mark on mine this year! WAFO!!! o7
    I donít need to trek through Africa and I donít need to climb Everest ó I need to ride every f***ing curvy road between here and there. Thatís far more powerful. Far more majestic. Far more of a journey.

Great pictures,very nice bike, I hope that you will have a greatmany happy miles to enjoy on it.

SoCal, 11K miles?!?!? Yer killin me... Get out on that bike this instant!
    01 Blue #84, 11/12 with: HeliBars, foam grips, 05 map, Borla cans (Replaced by 2" pipe)/stock silencer, derestricted, metal QD, dash socket, wiring mod. Me: Ford relay +10awg & grd, fuel pump rewire, FPR, vac hoses. Evap gone, CBR coils/harness+ Magnecor, clutch switch bypass. S.S. clutch & front line, RaceTech Gold fork, Cogent rebuilt Sachs, tapered head bearings. Added LED run lights/indicators/brake. All signals also run lights. All lights but Hi/park/brake on dash switch. Hi beam mod, vest plug, wiring block, blue dash SMD's/Red V meter, Tune IFT, PCIII gone. Stripped/polished rims, vented screen, rear petal disc. FH008 soldered DC plug/added grd/hard soldered AC. L/R dash indicator lights, RG frame/fork sliders, vented screen.

Ok i checked the battery, i bought a battery load tester and tested the battery, the battery tested weak! i did start the bike and ran the load test on it and it passed, while reving the bike to 4k, it read 14.3- 14.4, the testing unit said the charging system was ok, but like i said before when i did the battery test with the bike off, the battery was weak, the battery is a a yusa and i assume its an older unit! i will test it again, but i believe i need to replace it!

Yusa battery- part # or name?

Can i use a gel battery?

i plan on lifting the tank, i am a little cautious about doing that though.

Ok i checked the battery, i bought a battery load tester and tested the battery, the battery tested weak! i did start the bike and ran the load test on it and it passed, while reving the bike to 4k, it read 14.3- 14.4, the testing unit said the charging system was ok, but like i said before when i did the battery test with the bike off, the battery was weak, the battery is a a yusa and i assume its an older unit! i will test it again, but i believe i need to replace it!

Yusa battery- part # or name?

Can i use a gel battery?

i plan on lifting the tank, i am a little cautious about doing that though.

well, its the battery! i have to replace it! ok well i dont mean to sound like a squid! but this is my first italian bike and it looks complicated to change out the battery! is there anything i should be cautious about when changing the battery? i charged the battery and tested it and it said it was weak!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast