Thread: Fumoto Valve installed on Shiver. Oil changes much easier now.

apriliaforum prov-nov

Fumoto Valve installed on Shiver. Oil changes much easier now.

I always found Fumoto Valves to be useful on cars so managed to find one that would fit the Shiver (MY 2013).

The Part #F108S. The stock Shiver oil drain bolt size is 16mm-1.5. If anyone is interested, I ordered mine here (http://www.qwikvalve.com/).

While there will be folks who feel a rock is all it takes or you run over something to hit the lever just right for all the oil to drain... I've had Fumoto Valves on every single vehicle I've ever owned for over 10 years and never ran into any issues.

In any case, oil changes just got a whole lot easier.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7964.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	490.2 KB 
ID:	275643Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7965.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	488.5 KB 
ID:	275644Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7968.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	491.1 KB 
ID:	275645

I like those, too, and have had them on several cars. I just don't have much trouble removing the drain plug on a motorcycle. Everything is within easy reach and I only do it once a year. The oil filter on a bike with ABS is another matter. That thing is a PITA.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Esteves858 View Post
    In any case, oil changes just got a whole lot easier.
    But for the bikes with bottom drain plugs, speed bumps with a passenger, or driving over an object on the road just got a whole lot more dangerous, and the possibility of a 'dripping bathroom sink tap' in front of the rear tire would make me sweat. A basic magnetic drain plug makes way more sense.
    BTW, speaking of sweating, looks like the gasket area on that looks wet and ready to drip.

apriliaforum Junkie
    I agree with CdnSl, wouldn't trust that under there, looks like a major leak waiting to happen

Me too. Especially concerned about busting it off on a rock or something.

That would be off the first time I jumped a kerb in london....

Wouldn't last long around the lakes and 'green laneing' and then theres the extra weight, which means its a no no from me ...... pmsl
    2010 Factory DD that I want to make FACTORY Factory
    Shes there ... stands at 22.96kg shed.

They must have done some serious recasting to change the cover and put the sump plug on underside the later Models..I would be more worried about the Oil filter out the front of the bike ....Extra weight is a major issue I only run Light fuel no leaded stuff for me.

apriliaforum Member
    That's odd...my oil drain bolt is on the side of the case on the right side. I'm a big fan of Fumoto valves, but the drain bolt is so easy to reach I'm probably not going to do a Fumoto.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by maddad View Post
    They must have done some serious recasting to change the cover and put the sump plug on underside the later Models..I would be more worried about the Oil filter out the front of the bike ....Extra weight is a major issue I only run Light fuel no leaded stuff for me.
    Agreed. Maybe they are now sharing the cases from the 1200, because of everything they could have spent money on to improve it, like lighter wheels, seat, suspension or waterproof dash, seems like money out the window.
    I always thought it was the easiest oil change on a bike that I've ever owned. Tilting the bike upright or a little to the right to drain out the last drops of oil wasn't a deal breaker for me. Didn't even have to lean underneath it.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Just an update

5'9" and 190 lbs. Gone over plenty of speed bumps since installation at varying speeds (nothing too crazy)

No contact with speed bump and no issues so far.

But I rarely ride with a passenger.

THAT would be one helluva speed bump.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    UPDATE: Just in case anyone was curious how this Fumoto Valve is holding up.

Still on the bike since the original installation. I park the bike on the same red dolly each time and no observable oils. No road hazard mishaps after 4 years with regards to anything hitting the Fumoto valve. I use the bike for commuting 60 miles round trip and around the town errands.

Side Note: I did manage to find an equivalent oil filter with larger capacity (if anyone cares). The oil filter I've used in the past was a WIX 51056. I've found that the WIX 51516 or 51516XP fits perfectly and the specs match up identical with regards to by-pass valve PSI and flow rate (just larger volume).

Just my opinion, but if you can get everything to match (i.e. gasket diameter, cross section, exit port, thread pitch) from a fitting perspective and have sufficient clearance, the advantages are larger filtration media, higher capacity for capturing contaminants which should result in less likelihood of bypass occurrence. The larger volume filter will require slightly more oil volume when changing oil though.
    Last edited by Esteves858; 08-15-2019 at 12:42 PM.

apriliaforum expert
    Awesome info on the filters, thanks!

The valve is cool; my bike is older and has the drain on the side, so might not work as well if the "button" finishes at an odd angle, if it will even fit under the clutch bulge.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Have been using fumotos on motorhome and two cars. They work great but have not used on a bike yet.
    2018 DD
    2015 Multistrada
    2016 Yamaha WR250R