Thread: Vespa primavera 150 3v front suspension

apriliaforum newb

Vespa primavera 150 3v front suspension

Hello guys, I wonder if anyone's ever noticed this but I've just picked up a primavera 150 in Malaysia, and th front end doesn't seem to get the updated front suspension linkage design. I'm wondering if it's a small batch or is the local dealer trying to pull a fast one?

Here are the pictures for your reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    That is not the front end we have here in usa, I'll try to get a decent pic of the front of the usa models today from same perspective.

here ya go, it's a sprint model but other than ABS both are same here in the USA.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	1264 
Size:	614.6 KB 
ID:	271674  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	640.7 KB 
ID:	271675  

Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks for the pics Micah. Looks like we're getting the short end of the stick again, in Asia.
    The differences so far are:
    1, no remote trunk release
    2, LX150 style front suspension
    3, older LX150 style front callipers with the TINY brake pads.
    4, a 35w hs1 bulb for main beam instead of a 55w H4? (Could be just the bulb, could be the harness, I'm not sure)

Perhaps AF1 could consider selling an OEM kit to convert the Asian specced front end to a european/american specced one?
    In your opinion, is it a big upgrade over the older styled front axle, or would a better shock partially remedy the problem?
    In any case, if you guys sold such a kit, I'd be first in line..LOL

Thanks again for the pics
    Last edited by schloemoe; 01-27-2015 at 02:21 AM.

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    I have been thinking that the first totaled one we get in on a rear hit will be donating its front suspension to my Vespa 300. Don't feel too bad, we are often a half or full model year behind here in the USA and often do not get the smaller bikes from most OEM's at all.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

apriliaforum expert
    the vespa is made in italy and is supplied to europ and america canada and australia
    the vespa you have for asia is build by LML India and the models are called the same but they are not
    if i were you i would insist to get the EU EC3 model that is the italian one

apriliaforum newb
    Hello Jog,

I didn't know they built them in India too! However, the ones we have here in Malaysia/thailand/indonesia are actually supplied by factories in Vietnam.
    We don't have the option to pick an EU EC3 model here . FYI, a GTS300 here costs an equivalent $11,200 (fully imported), whereas the primavera (vietnam built) costs about $3300.

apriliaforum expert
    Hi Micah,

Would you say the hinged lower shock mount is "better"?
    I think the one from schloemoe's picture is from the LX? If that is true, do you have the necessary parts to convert to the hinged lower shock mount?

It's bad enough our local primavera (made in vietnam) have the old style, even the new sprint with the iget engines here also do not come with the hinged mount.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by boggysv View Post
    Hi Micah,

It's bad enough our local primavera (made in vietnam) have the old style, even the new sprint with the iget engines here also do not come with the hinged mount.
    My thoughts exactly. Which idiots are speccing these motorcycles out -_-

apriliaforum expert
    Just learnt today, apparently the one with the hinge is called "ESS suspension".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmBod300f5M

my friend in vespa damansara had a customer bring in the lower assembly today to convert from the old style, but apparently it needs the correct linkage as well. will update to see how that goes.

Next step is to see if that would work with my new ABS model (need to mount ABS sensor).

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by boggysv View Post
    Just learnt today, apparently the one with the hinge is called "ESS suspension".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmBod300f5M

my friend in vespa damansara had a customer bring in the lower assembly today to convert from the old style, but apparently it needs the correct linkage as well. will update to see how that goes.

Next step is to see if that would work with my new ABS model (need to mount ABS sensor).
    IIRC they come with different hubs too...and different fork strut (that's stiffer). It's not just the lower linkage. Only cost effective way i can think of getting it done properly is to get the whole front end off a wrecked bike.

Naza, ripping customers off since...lol

apriliaforum expert
    Hello Jog,

I didn't know they built them in India too! However, the ones we have here in Malaysia/thailand/indonesia are actually supplied by factories in Vietnam.
    We don't have the option to pick an EU EC3 model here . FYI, a GTS300 here costs an equivalent $11,200 (fully imported), whereas the primavera (vietnam built) costs about $3300.

they make cheaper versions and sell it under the name vespa for the asian market
    they know thatt the roads are not so good and put in a cheaper suspension so it easy and cheap to replace
    also you dont have safety and enviroment regulations like we have so they dont put the newest engine on those bikes
    so the whole product is cheaper to get cheaper to repair and more profitable due to the older engines and older parts that they put on

apriliaforum newb
    Spot on Jog, Specifically the "more profitable" bit. Thankfully they seem to have caught up in the engine department, though with seemingly rather poor QC. The main distributor here in Malaysia will also take any opportunity to shove it to customers (eg, painted wheels will void warranty, 6month warranty on electrical items)...
    sickening!

apriliaforum expert
    we have 3 years on anything as a standard warranty and you can get a extended to 5 years

just contact piaggio directly in italy and ask them to send you the warranty papers and then you know what you are on and not what some dealer says
    the faster you loose the warranty the faster he can charge you for anything

apriliaforum newb
    That's actually a good idea, i'll give it a go.
    However the last time i contacted them (piaggio/aprilia), they just redirected me to the local distributor again