Thread: 2009 APRILIA SPORT CITY 250 DOESNT START -please help-

apriliaforum newb

2009 APRILIA SPORT CITY 250 DOESNT START -please help-

I bought a mint 2009 SC 250 with 1,800miles from a family friend about 5 months ago. Since then, I have been using the bike for commute and have put an additional 4,000 miles in the past 5 months. Bike now has about 5,500miles.

Last week around 6 am I started the bike in cold weather and didnt allow any time for warm up, took it to the street and it died on me about 3 blocks from the house. Havent been able to restart the bike since then. I should point out that the bike was out in the rain a couple days (maybe electrical issue?) the bike basically feels like its about to start but doesnt. the battery seems in perfect condition since the lights and the dash all work fine, full tank of gas.

Any ideas to take care of this myself in my house?
    THANKS in advance.
    Last edited by carlos zepeda; 01-05-2015 at 07:17 PM.

Check the spark plug wire and make sure it is fully seated on the spark plug (feel the soft clic). They have been known to work themselves loose.

Sp56

apriliaforum expert
    Could just be water in the kill switch or the spark plug boot came loose however it could be that the fuel pump recall was not done yet and it has finally started to jam up.

You did replace the air filter, change the oil/oil filter/gear lube, flush the coolant and brake fluid along with tossed the old tires before you started riding it. 2009 was six years ago and bike tires start to get unsafe after 2 years depending on the climate regardless of how little use they get. Brake fluid and coolant need to be flushed every 2 years even if it just sits unused.

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks for replying guys! I will call the dealer later to see if the recall was ever done on it. I will play around with it later tonight and keep you all informed.

apriliaforum newb
    Rockynv, someone mentioned that if it were the kill switch, then it wouldnt even make the starting noise at all. Is that accurate? because the bike does sound like its about to start but nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    it could be that the fuel pump recall was not done yet and it has finally started to jam up.
    Hard to be sure what it's not, but I don't think it's a jammed fuel pump. Typical behavior of the ones in the recall was that they would seize when they got hot, and free up when they cooled down again. The problem wouldn't usually happen a couple of minutes after a cold start.
    2010 Aprilia Sportcity 300 (sold)

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
    Hard to be sure what it's not, but I don't think it's a jammed fuel pump. Typical behavior of the ones in the recall was that they would seize when they got hot, and free up when they cooled down again. The problem wouldn't usually happen a couple of minutes after a cold start.
    Eventually they would not build up enough pressure to start the bike.

apriliaforum newb
    Guys I truely appreciate all your help. So I called the dealer, fuelpump recall had not been done. Dealer had an existing fuel pump for my bike year and model :-) they gave me an appointment to take the bike in a week and a half (no charge at all, since they bill aprilia for parts and labor) Anyhow, I'm sure if thats not the problem, at that point they will tell me whats wrong with it, hopefully at no charge, and hopefully with an easy fix (change spark plug or fusebox) Anyways, I will keep you all posted!

apriliaforum expert
    Watch out as some dealers had been accidentally ordering the old part and ended up installing a new defective fuel pump instead of the updated one. The new one should have three blue dots on the electrical connector at the top of the pump holder and a brown hose connector on the pump itself.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

apriliaforum newb
    thank you, I'm emailing this picture to the dealer just to make sure they have the correct pump, I would hate to have them install the incorrect one.

apriliaforum newb
    rockynv, who do you use for a dealer? Tampa dealer says Aprilia wont pay him to replace my friends 08 SC250 fuel pump. I have the scoot apart and confirmed no blue dots. If we have to order one and pay for it can you confirm the part # is 858506. Dealer here said part # is 8127827. AF1 has both in stock but big price diff. Thanks for any help

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by grcnsl View Post
    rockynv, who do you use for a dealer? Tampa dealer says Aprilia wont pay him to replace my friends 08 SC250 fuel pump. I have the scoot apart and confirmed no blue dots. If we have to order one and pay for it can you confirm the part # is 858506. Dealer here said part # is 8127827. AF1 has both in stock but big price diff. Thanks for any help
    Don't recall the part number just the visual clues

EuroCycles is telling you that? I would call (Thierie I believe it is at) Piaggio in NY and have them run your vin number and since you have it apart the numbers on the pump itself. They have been pretty reasonable with me and yes they did deny that my bike was impacted at first at the dealership however after I called and spoke with Piaggio directly they dug a little deeper and found that it was covered and had the dealer, Barney's at that time, do the replacement. Barney's is no longer an Aprilia dealer and does not have appear to have a good channel of communications with Aprilia.