Page 66 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1656646566

Thread: Wiring Mod for charging issues.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    There is a great alternative for soldering and crimping. Look here https://www.amazon.com/Shrink-Solder.../dp/B01M1032A7 for example.
    Last edited by iamdude; 07-18-2019 at 01:05 AM.
    English is not my native language, so please be kind to my mistakes.

Remember, this is an Italian bike with an Austrian motor, it isn't like the GSXR you use to own...

Thanks for the advice guys.
    I ended up soldering the wires as I don't have any butt connectors and want to get out on the bike this afternoon.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190718_085231.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	384664
    I also added a bit of extension to each of the stator wires (so they're now blue) as with the couple of repairs I've done since having the bike they were starting to retreat towrds the engine!
    So I now have: original stator wires (18AWG) - blue extensions (16AWG) - R/R wiring (12AWG).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190718_082842.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	384665
    I'm pretty happy with the soldering and I now have 14.1V at idle at same at 4k rpm, despite now having an additional solder joint.
    The original 18AWG stator wires are still warm though not too hot to handle. The 16AWG blue wires are just warm and the 12AWG (I know 12 is probably excessive) is ambient temp.

When I took apart the previous connections I'd made with the spade terminals they were actually quite loose, hence the high resistance. I guess the heat over the miles since the repair had 'relaxed' the terminals as they were a good tight fit when I initially fitted them. Lesson learnt.
    2003 Futura, blue.
    Mods: metal fuel QD, FH020AA R/R, K&N, airbox mod, GPR exhausts, R&G, starter solenoid upgraded, FPR mod, top box rack, side stand cutout, 05 map, fuel tank drains plugged, ignition coils and leads, Oxford heated grips, 12V socket, Hagon shock.
    Previously: ZX6R 636, Firestorm VTR 1000, ZZR600, KR-1.

Hi all,

I've also been working on my charging system after my rectifier boiled my battery on my way to Scotland last week. I've given up on the direct replacement and gone for the MOSFET FH012AA. I've also decided to replace the stator as part of a complete overhaul of the charging system. I'm waiting for a few parts, but hope to have everything completed by tomorrow! Fortunately the dashboard and ECU were not damaged by the overcharging incident, and feel lucky about that. To keep an eye on charging behaviour I've also fitted a volt meter to the dashboard.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stator.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	387672
    2003 Futura with Quill EVOII end cans, H-pipe, Power Commander III 108bhp @wheel
    2001 RSVR with Aprilia shotgun II exhaust, Aprilia race chip, Power Commander III 128bhp @wheel
    1985 GSXR1100 with 1109 weisco oversized pistons and liners, dyna coils, k-tech race CDI, Stage III dynojet, Ohlins rear shock, GSXR1100 WT front forks, GSXR1100 M front and rear wheels, 134bhp @wheel
    http://barnfindmotorcycle.com

Quote Originally Posted by bigaprilia View Post
    Hi all,

I've also been working on my charging system after my rectifier boiled my battery on my way to Scotland last week. I've given up on the direct replacement and gone for the MOSFET FH012AA. I've also decided to replace the stator as part of a complete overhaul of the charging system. I'm waiting for a few parts, but hope to have everything completed by tomorrow! Fortunately the dashboard and ECU were not damaged by the overcharging incident, and feel lucky about that. To keep an eye on charging behaviour I've also fitted a volt meter to the dashboard.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stator.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	387672
    I've finished all the relevant charging modifications to the futura and provided a short write-up here if you are interested https://www.barnfindmotorcycle.com/a...er-and-stator/
    2003 Futura with Quill EVOII end cans, H-pipe, Power Commander III 108bhp @wheel
    2001 RSVR with Aprilia shotgun II exhaust, Aprilia race chip, Power Commander III 128bhp @wheel
    1985 GSXR1100 with 1109 weisco oversized pistons and liners, dyna coils, k-tech race CDI, Stage III dynojet, Ohlins rear shock, GSXR1100 WT front forks, GSXR1100 M front and rear wheels, 134bhp @wheel
    http://barnfindmotorcycle.com

Page 66 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1656646566