Page 6 of 66 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Wiring Mod for charging issues.

Originally posted by bossbob
    Wise man!!
    Fixed.

I was fair looking forward to a "rawr rawr rawr" story
    Ok, I'll make it short: On a recent ride through E. Texas, it was a tad chilly, so I fired up my electric gear now and again; hey, why be cold if you don't need to be?

The next morning, worried a bit about the lack of the wiring mod having been performed, I glanced at my riding buddies for this trip, and thought, as I prepared to push the starter button, "I sure hope it fires up..."

Rawrrawrrawrrawrrawrrawrrawrrawr

Rawr rawr rawr rawr. Ba-DOO...Splut.

Rawr rawr.

Rawr.

Hence the motivation to have the mod done.

Sheeesh, Water seals that work, oil that stays in, clutch fluid that can do a thousand miles, and tyres that do track days ......... you'll be getting to trust it soon
    Right, it'll happen when Scots are considered spendthrifts.

Until then, I'll just enjoy every mile that runs.
    paul
    '01 Flame Red RST
    '07 Tuono
    Economics Crash Course - check it out. Please.

apriliaforum expert

Rats!

Damn, just spilled my drink. Rawr indeed. Thanks, Rab for getting Buck to do that.
    John

Rawr rawr rawr rawr. Ba-DOO...Splut.

Rawr rawr.

Rawr.

What Txrider said!

apriliaforum prov-nov DallasFutura's Avatar

A new wrinkle in the story

Just when you thought this story couldn't change, I have a new chapter to add...

For a couple of months, my '03 Futura has been exhibiting all of the classic symptoms documented in this thread. While I waited for my 12 month maintenance check, I just kept the bike on a tender.

The 12 month check-up comes around and I print out this thread and proudly march into my local (Dallas) dealer with the color photos, case studies, etc. My dealer tells me that I'm nuts and that the problem is a bad voltage regulator - the wiring is just fine. They will cover the regulator under warranty, but won't touch the wiring mod.

"Fine" I say, "just hope I don't have any melting connectors or electrical fires while we wait for the regulator." Two weeks pass, the regulator comes in, I ride back to the dealership, we pull the side fairing and the brown connector is melted. Big surprise, heh? Well, the dealer was much more interested in the thread that I had printed out and started reading it when THE APRILIA REP walks into the dealership. Naturally, we ambushed him.

He dissed on the quality of the thread content and said that it was the bad regulator that caused the melted connnector. "There is a batch of bad regulators out there" was his response. So now a new wiring harness is on order. Here comes the kicker...

Both guys pull out the shop manual and show me where the voltage at idle should be 13v and at 4000 rpms should be around 15v. This is the opposite of what I have seen on this thread. As much as I would hate for these guys to be right, it certainly makes sense that the faster the engine is running, the higher the voltage going back to the regulator.

So with all due respect to the talented wrenchers on this board - who is right? New regulator + existing wiring = 15v at 4000 rpms or existing regulator + wiring mod = 14.2 v at idle?

Call me stupid or stumped, I really don't care!

apriliaforum expert
    New regulator + existing wiring = 15v at 4000 rpms
    If they can produce it, take it

but they won't

It is sad to think that this information came from a dealer & the Aprilia rep. The factory manual I have gives an acceptable charging range of 13-15v. It does not say 13 at idle & 15 at 4k. If they knew anything about the product they sell they would know that the stock Aprilia rectifier gives a higher reading at idle then at 4K. Reread the threads & you will see that this is the one consistant from everyones voltage readings so what they are telling you is impossible with the stock rectifier. Lots of guys including myself have had Aprilia replace the regulator & seen no real change. I finally gave up on them & did my wiring mod because I was tired of a dead battery. This got me from 12.9v at idle/ 12.6v at 4k to a more reliable 14.3v at idle/13.9v at 4k. With my new aftermarket rectifier (see new thread) I now have 14.54v @idle & 14.57v @4k which is optimum for a maintenance free battery.

How much of your wiring harness are they replacing? The real problem is in the connectors between the rectifier feed & the main fuse box. This is what gets bypassed with my wiring mod & allows the juice to get to the battery.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

He dissed on the quality of the thread content
    Doesn't he realise a lot of the people are his customers? Without them, he wouldn't have the job he has.

Dealers tend to have the same reaction:
    - "You Internet boys are way too anal."
    - "Yeah well if you're not interested I'll piss off and get a Honda."

That usually does the trick.
    This Must Be The Place

Its more the Rep than the Dealer

To answer the main question, the only part of my harness that they are replacing is the brown connector and the voltage regulator. According to the rep (to whom the dealer is listening), bad regulator = melted connector.

After seeing the melted connector, I can tell that the dealer is on the fence about this issue. After they replace the connector and the regulator and don't get the numbers in the manual, I think the dealer will take a much greater interest in this thread. The primary reason is that they have so much trouble getting Aprilia to pay for anything that they do under warranty, they will start looking at PM solutions to events like electrical fires.

Not being much of a wrencher myself, when the replacement is finished and the numbers are still lousy, I will purhcase the new rectifier and ride down to AF1 and have them do the job. The final numbers will show my local dealer what the job should look like.

The real problem in this entire chain of events is the Aprilia Rep. He swore he had never heard of this problem, then 30 seconds later made reference to the "bad batch of regulators floating around". I would love to play Texas Hold'em with this guy - he was one of the worst liars I have ever met!

Once again, thanks for all of the great info in this thread!
    '03 Red Futura, AF1 h pipes, staintunes slip ons, mille boot, derestricted air box, custom PCIII dyno map, recitifier mod, Heli bars, throttlemeister, Spiegler braided steel lines, DB windscreen, triple headlight bypass, tail light modification, brass fuel fitting, tank filler mod, grill guards, Evo filters, Evo bilet clutch slave, 220 cca Yuasa battery, Rhino fork sliders...

It also stands to reason that if the voltages climb on the stock regulator at both idle and 4k by just adding more wire to the battery and ground feeds then there is a resistance problem in the harness. How is merely replacing the regulator going to address the stock wiring problem? It's not. The stock harness, at least the connectors, is subpar for the application.

DallasFutura let us know what voltages you get when you have that new regulator and stock harness in place.

Dallasfutura, sounds like a spiffing plan to me.

With a memory of 30 seconds, one shouldn't attempt lying. He'd have remembered that if he hadn't forgotten.
    This Must Be The Place

Too often do people who want to offer sound advice offer more sound than advice. - Alfred E. Neuman

apriliaforum expert
    I would love to play Texas Hold'em with this guy
    hmmmm............. is that a fact

Brief Update

Originally posted by cavender

DallasFutura let us know what voltages you get when you have that new regulator and stock harness in place.

Currently, the voltage is a big fat 0.00. After waiting three weeks for a new regulator to come in from Italy, it showed up and its DOA.

My dealer is starting to understand what the Arpilia Rep meant when he said "there were a few bad ones floating around out there". Dealer is really pissed at Aprilia.

I swear, after years of driving Alfa Romeos and being married to a woman from Munich, I feel qualified to say: Italians are to electronics what Germans are to comedy
    '03 Red Futura, AF1 h pipes, staintunes slip ons, mille boot, derestricted air box, custom PCIII dyno map, recitifier mod, Heli bars, throttlemeister, Spiegler braided steel lines, DB windscreen, triple headlight bypass, tail light modification, brass fuel fitting, tank filler mod, grill guards, Evo filters, Evo bilet clutch slave, 220 cca Yuasa battery, Rhino fork sliders...

The stock rectifiers are made in Japan not Italy & lets not be bad mouthing Alfas! You were LUCKY to own one.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

Re: Brief Update

Originally posted by DallasFutura
    . . . . I feel qualified to say: Italians are to electronics what Germans are to comedy
    "We believe electricity exists because the power company keeps sending us bills for it, but we cannot figure out how it travels in wires." - Aprilia Factory Spokesperson

Page 6 of 66 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast