Page 5 of 66 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Wiring Mod for charging issues.

Re: Dealer Fix

Originally posted by idahoskiguy
    I had been putting off doing the "mod" since the bike is under the 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. Well it finally happen to me, the brown plug melt-down, and I got stranded, luckily not to far from home. My dealer repaired the problem by eliminating both the brown and the white connectors and sodering the wires. The voltage figures with this fix are:

13.99 @ idle, and 13.60 @ 4000 rpm

In discussing the "mod" with the dealer tech, he suggested seeing if the fix he did would do the trick. If I have any further problems he will replace the red/black wire with larger guage wires and run the additional ground. It is all under warranty so I am willing to go along with the dealer.

After doing my version of the mod (removing white connector and adding more wire to (-) and (+) feeds) my readings are a bit higher. @ 4k rpm I'm at 14.05 and at idle 14.2. Therefore adding more wire, or going to bigger awg, would be good idea, too.

I'm contemplating removing my brown connector since it still gets warm, but not nearly as hot as it did before. I don't think it will ever get hot enough to melt, but the added resistance would be good to get rid of.

apriliaforum expert new forest man's Avatar

Re: Wiring Mod for charging issues.

Originally posted by bossbob

What I did
    Fistly I cut the 3 yellow wires at the brown plug and soldered the connections as per the photo.

Rab [/B]
    as the weather was grim and grey today ,I decided to do the wiring mod .however I dont understand what the above means . it sounds like I should cut the yellow wires and then solder the same wires that I have just cut. can anyone help?

I think Rab means that you take the brown connector out of the equation. That's what I did anyway. So you cut the yellows at both ends of the brown connector and solder them back together, leaving out the connector.

That's exactly what I did and gained an extra 0.1 - 0.2 V from that alone.

I see now. many thanks

Still contemplating removing my brown connector, but I don't like the idea of not being able to easily "unplug" the R/R if it were to ever need replacing. Can anybody tell me what taking it out and soldering the wires yellow together has done for the heat on the wires?

apriliaforum expert
    Can anybody tell me what taking it out and soldering the wires yellow together has done for the heat on the wires?
    nothing , to the best of my recollection.

I think it was Dan that posted up that he had replace the brown connector with 3 single ones sourced from the net ........ IIRC

I was just about to do my wiring mod toay and I thought that I would ring my local dealer .as I have 10months left on my aprilia warranty ,I asked if it would invalidate my warranty ,if I went ahead.the reply was " OH YES SIR! " So I lost my nerve and will wait for another 10 months. the dealer said that they had never heard of this mod and there wasnt a problem with the charging system. Well in that case ,we the riders of futura's must be wrong and Aprilia must be right .................NOT!

Originally posted by new forest man
    I was just about to do my wiring mod toay and I thought that I would ring my local dealer .as I have 10months left on my aprilia warranty ,I asked if it would invalidate my warranty ,if I went ahead.the reply was " OH YES SIR! " So I lost my nerve and will wait for another 10 months. the dealer said that they had never heard of this mod and there wasnt a problem with the charging system. Well in that case ,we the riders of futura's must be wrong and Aprilia must be right .................NOT!
    When I asked my dealer about it he had never heard of it and thought it was the stupidest thing he'd ever heard of. Of course this was only the opinion of one person at my dealer and he said he would research it, but I never heard back. For this reason I did a test mod where I only added some wire by skinning back the insulation and twisting on the new wire in a way that I could easily have kept it looking untouched without great scrutiny. The results were so dramatic and my brown connector was getting so hot before I decided to go for it regardless of the warranty. I'm taking the chance that if something breaks it won't be electrical. My bike only had about 3500 miles on it and no problems yet when I did it, but after so many others with failures I did not want to chance it.

Not telling you what to do, just more to think about.

that brown connector box seems to get really hot.I might take a chance and just change that for now and see if it makes any difference to the charging . BLOODY APRILIA .they make such good bikes and then lock themselves away from their customers

apriliaforum expert
    NFM - care to name the dealer??
    likewise cavender .........

I would support waiting till the warranty is out, till then it is their problem, although I do appreciate that the inconvenience hurts
    It is better to have poor service you can shout about for free than no service and have to pay for the privelage of having lost your warranty.

Aprilia UK DO most definitely know about the mod,
    they know we know they know
    and
    we know they know that we know they know
    But the sensless game of denial goes on, purely on financial grounds.

Hi bossbob. the dealer in question was MOTOSPORTS of Wareham . they are main dealers for Aprilia and Moto Guzzi . They are usually very good and look after my beloved Futura very well. Mind you, the last time I was in for a service ,they lent me a bike to take home for the day .the manager shouted to his assistant " where's the keys to the Falco ?"HE REPLIED ,"ITS OUT BOSS" then I thought excellent he will let me have the TUONO, to take home.then the manager said " is the VFR 800 OUT?" the assistant replied "YEH IT IS" the manager then said" o.k get the other customer bike out" I walked out to the front of the shop ,looking for a TUONO. no such luck ,what was sitting there , a bloody suzuki gs450 . I felt as sick as a dog!

apriliaforum expert
    Ok ........ thanks for that

hey, at least they gave you a bike and that seems a pretty rare thing these days.

Motosports are a big dealer, Jon goes there too.
    I'm sure they know mate, just singing the company line I'm afraid

IMHO

Ok, I've joined the wiring mod club. AF1 did the work, so I know it'd get done correctly. Before/after voltages here.

Oh, and AF1 continues to rock...
    paul
    '01 Flame Red RST
    '07 Tuono
    Economics Crash Course - check it out. Please.

apriliaforum expert
    so I know it'd get done correctly.
    coward!!
    I was fair looking forward to a "rawr rawr rawr" story
    Sheeesh, Water seals that work, oil that stays in, clutch fluid that can do a thousand miles, and tyres that do track days ......... you'll be getting to trust it soon

Page 5 of 66 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast