Thread: Evolutione SP velocity stacks

apriliaforum Junkie

Evolutione SP velocity stacks

Hey guys, as part of the performance kit I got from doc, I also got the SP billet velocity stacks. My throttle bodies are stock (51mm?).

Will there be any benefit from installing these? I see from various threads these are for 54 mm throttle bodies. Am I better off with the stock plastic stacks?
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...hrottle+bodies

are you sure they are 54?

sp are 51 as standard

fit them it wont hurt as long as they do fit obviously

apriliaforum Junkie
    I will have to double check when I get home. Just read it from the threads that they are 54mm as the 51mm stacks didn't offer any dyno wins. And apparently they fit both the throttle bodies. I also read elsewhere that shorter stacks help top end at the expense of bottom end torque. I am sure these are very minor modifications for a 990cc engine and not give me much. But it sure is fun fiddling with the bike!

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...hrottle+bodies (post 39).

apriliaforum Junkie
    I fitted the evo kit and the velocity stacks today. Now the intake sounds like a turbo spooling. Can't say I like it but its interesting. No improvement in butt dyno but seems like it revs more freely with less engine braking. This could be all in my head though.

Question about fitment: With the evo kit, do I need a foam layer on top of the air filter to fit it snug against the tank? I am worried if I do this that the sides might not seal properly.

^
    To your question. Yes, you are better off with a piece of foam.

My experience with the Evo seal, and spoil-it-yourself Evo seal tells that it is not that tight for street use*. Some people say they have a different experience. My advice: check your airbox for dirt quite often in the beginning.

If dirt and still want to have open lid go for the MWR version. Will be costly though.

* (OK, one seal that I made worked but the construction was disposable so I could not re-use the seal after unscrewing the top cover ring. I had the top cover cut open but did try the orginal Evo seal along the way. This construciton enabled me to use OEM or K&N filters).
    Last edited by JMH; 09-11-2014 at 02:19 PM.
    Mille Aarrr -02 (1060 BB, Gen2 heads, 2-2 Akra, timed cams, bespoke Gabro chip + TSS slipper) & KTM 625 SXC -05
    My riding lines are like Hendrix's solos. Unexpected and always different.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Thanks JMH. Will try out a piece of foam on top. easy enough to get into the airbox now! Just 2 bolts instead of 8!

Some people use a grease that divers use.... to smudge around the seal to help

Or Vaseline?

apriliaforum Junkie
    I used vaseline. Evolutione instructions recommends it. Will try the grease next time if I see a lot of dirt on the airbox. Seems like its around 8 bucks

I have had good luck using silicone grease on the Evo rubber seal. It's better for the rubber than petro products but it's not a cure-all for dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDaddy View Post
    I have had good luck using silicone grease on the Evo rubber seal. It's better for the rubber than petro products but it's not a cure-all for dirt.
    Yeah I think that's the stuff I meant