Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 500 IE Seat Latch Fix

apriliaforum Member

500 IE Seat Latch Fix

I had been having problems with the seat not unlatching completely with the remote fob and with the latch closing with the seat up, making re-closing the seat impossible.

I took it apart today starting with the rear deck/rack. I also took off the taillight so I had more room to work and removed the bulb from the storage are light to save the battery some. You do need a stubby Philips screwdriver to remove the grey panel on the the top of the deck/rack so you can get to the third 6 mm hex socket bolt holding the deck/rack onto the frame.

Upon close inspection I found that the latch operates by rotating between two other metal plates. Apparently these are all soft steel. The plate toward the rear of the scoot is lower than the latch and the forward plate is pretty much level with the latch. The forward plate had taken the abuse of a slamming seat for some years and the steel was peened over like a rivet on both sides of the latch opening and towards the front and rear. The peening over toward the rear was preventing the latch from rotating freely. I found a small fine file and set to work, without removing the latch - good thing I removed the taillight earlier to get a better angle for filing. Well, it filed very easily, then I wiped it down, sprayed it with silicone lube, tested the latch, reassembled, and all is well.

20 minutes (including finding the file) and zero dollars spent.
    Last edited by gnonne; 06-07-2014 at 08:35 PM.

apriliaforum expert
    Most of the scooter repairs just require a little ingenuity like you demonstrated on this job.
    Bob W.
    08 Scarabeo 500ie
    13 Vespa GTV 300ie

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Great info , thanks. I dont have a key fob. So if I take my grab rail off, and light, i would be able to access that seat latch and cable?
    Do you have that black manual lever in your glove box that you pull down to release the seat?
    My scooter is a 2009
    thanks

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by gnonne View Post
    I had been having problems with the seat not unlatching completely with the remote fob and with the latch closing with the seat up, making re-closing the seat impossible.

I took it apart today starting with the rear deck/rack. I also took off the taillight so I had more room to work and removed the bulb from the storage are light to save the battery some. You do need a stubby Philips screwdriver to remove the grey panel on the the top of the deck/rack so you can get to the third 6 mm hex socket bolt holding the deck/rack onto the frame.

Upon close inspection I found that the latch operates by rotating between two other metal plates. Apparently these are all soft steel. The plate toward the rear of the scoot is lower than the latch and the forward plate is pretty much level with the latch. The forward plate had taken the abuse of a slamming seat for some years and the steel was peened over like a rivet on both sides of the latch opening and towards the front and rear. The peening over toward the rear was preventing the latch from rotating freely. I found a small fine file and set to work, without removing the latch - good thing I removed the taillight earlier to get a better angle for filing. Well, it filed very easily, then I wiped it down, sprayed it with silicone lube, tested the latch, reassembled, and all is well.

20 minutes (including finding the file) and zero dollars spent.
    Thanks for the reply. The problem Im having is trying to get the seat open. Im the 2nd owner and dont have a key fob for the seat. Im not sure that every bike sold had a key fob?
    It is a 2009 500ie Scarabeo. Is there another way to get unnder the seat ?
    thanks
    Ken
    Last edited by lumberjack; 11-26-2018 at 10:24 AM. Reason: i have been pulling on the cable with some pliers to try and get it open

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I have been pulling with some vice grips on the manual cable in the glove box to try and get it open

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Finally got it open. My mechanic came and met me at lunch , and we took the grab rail off the back , and the rear tail light. we were able to push the latch and pop it open.
    Dont know if i will be able to salvage the cable , but will try and take it out and work it with some lube.

apriliaforum expert
    Hey, great news. I just ride my Beo 500ie's with the seat in the un-latched mode. Makes like a lot simpler

Yeah, all the 500ie's sold starting 2007 model year in the US had one key fob with a couple tabs with codes for key, etc. And two hard keys for ignition switch.

Vernon

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
    Hey, great news. I just ride my Beo 500ie's with the seat in the un-latched mode. Makes like a lot simpler

Yeah, all the 500ie's sold starting 2007 model year in the US had one key fob with a couple tabs with codes for key, etc. And two hard keys for ignition switch.

Vernon
    might just end up doing that also if i cant get it working. looking at the Manual , you have to take half of the bike apart just to take out the helmet compartment under the seat , just to be able to get to the latch.!!!!!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    did you have to take the side panels off? I was reading in the service manual, and it looks like a PITA just to remove that helmet compartment under the seat. I have the grab rail off right now and the rear tire, as Iam putting a new one. Is There and easy way to get to the cable?
    thanks.
    Finally got the seat open from the back side with a screwdriver thru where the tailight is. We were able to pop it open. The latch cable that you pull in the glove box still wont budge.
    Thanks for any help you can share.
    Ken

apriliaforum expert
    Ken, am not sure if I have any more thoughts to pass along. It's been maybe 4-5 years since I had one apart and don't recall the details now.

The manuals are a help for sure, but are written as a general guideline it seems rather than trying to fix a specific problem like you have........and I had previously too.

That's why I never lock mine any more and works fine for me in doing so.

Any luck yet on getting the key fob that came originally with your scoot?

Vernon

apriliaforum newb
    Just an idea that I've used on my 2007 500ie--- threaded a "dog tag" chain or ceiling fan pull cord chain through the small hole in the latch and ran down near the left side shock cutting it short so as not to be seen, without standing on your head or dragging on the rear wheel, the end usually used to connect the ends for a loop or add more chain holds the chain in the latch---used it more than ever thought I would---dead battery situations---locked keys under seat and things like that---balancing security for everything under the seat and convenience is tough but works in my area....My latch cable in the "glove box" is stiff but still works (last time I tried it). Good luck with your situation it's not an easy one!

P.S. Wasn't my original idea-found it here or possibly another forum...can't for the life of me find it again to give credit where it's due.
    Last edited by TurboPepe; 11-29-2018 at 08:49 AM. Reason: spelling
    2007 Scarabeo 500ie

apriliaforum prov-nov
    TurboPepe
    Thanks for replying with this idea you gave me. Can you explain a little better where you are attaching the chain to. Is it direct to the latch?
    I really like that idea a lot. Did your cable freeze up? Im the 2nd owner, so i dont know the history on this bike , except it is a 2009 500ie with 11,000 miles.
    Im going thru the bike now , and have the rear tire off, and waiting for the new one to come in, so i can install and get that back together. Then I will take the covers off and get into the transmission , so that i can change the belt , rollers, air filter, .
    Ive changed the oil and rear end oil already.
    thanks for any ideas and help you can share.
    Ken

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Vernon ,
    I didnt trying contacting the owner i bought it from . Maybe i will. He is not well at all and doesn't have much time left. His wife is the one who drove it and she is 70yrs old.
    Just dont wont to bother them with this, as im sure you understand.
    Ken

apriliaforum prov-nov
    do you loop it in the latch? If you could explain a little better i would really appreciate it.
    thanks
    Ken

apriliaforum newb
    Ken,

There's a small hole--just big enough for the beaded chain---on the latch release, thread the chain through that hole, I left the "splice" piece on the end of the chain and as it's too large for the hole when you release the latch it pulls against that end "splice" piece releasing our problem child... I remember stressing about routing and ending up going down and slightly to the left side with end of chain being just inside of left shock. I know I had black plastic removed from around latch, as well as tail light and left side panel (body colored with SCARABEO nameplate)...but not sure if that was required or not...
    No, my manual latch release still works, it just pulls hard enough to give me pause and didn't think it'd survive constant use...My '07 has the always auto setting of the alarm---extremely frustrating--- so as I'm also a 2nd owner with only one key and FOB I have the .PDF of the alarm disabling procedure and hope never to have to use it with my copied key...

Clear as mud? Hope it helps

Todd
    2007 Scarabeo 500ie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast