Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I made a video on how to add 2 stroke oil to an SR 50 to help out the newbies!

Quote Originally Posted by Dichterliebe View Post
    Right, but I've also heard that you shouldn't mix oils. Simply adding oil to it when I'm not sure what the previous kind of oil was runs the risk of mixing, but it's low on oil so probably no big deal.
    Right now im mixing oils.With same type cant hurt each other.Ofcourse both are fresh.u better drain old oil first then refill with new one.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by William the Third View Post
    The paranoia around mixing oils it more myth than reality. There is some truth to it, more so in the distance past than modern day, but it's generally safe 99.999314159% of the time.
    William I've a lot of time reading through this forum and am still unsure of this question, not related to this thread really. What octane should I put in my 09 factory? Have access to 94 zero ethanol, 91 zero ethanol and 87, 91 with E10.

The Anal Intruder William the Third's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chr0m389 View Post
    William I've a lot of time reading through this forum and am still unsure of this question, not related to this thread really. What octane should I put in my 09 factory? Have access to 94 zero ethanol, 91 zero ethanol and 87, 91 with E10.
    If you use the scooter regularly, 87 is all you need. If you're scooter sits unused for long periods of time, use the 91 with zero ethanol.
    #1 Forum Loser

1973 Harley-Davidson Aermacchi Z-90 - Restoration project
    1983 Kawasaki KZ750 Spectre - Fathers old bike
    1998 Kawasaki KE100 - My first bike at 14
    1998 Laverda Ghost Strike 668 - A fun little bike
    1999 Aprilia RS250 - Track bike
    2001 Aprilia RSV Mille - My first Aprilia
    2007 Aprilia SR50R Factory - My babe magnet
    2009 Aprilia SR50R Factory - My "help me I have a problem"

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks - that's helpful information.

If you use the scooter regularly, 87 is all you need. If you're scooter sits unused for long periods of time, use the 91 with zero ethanol.

apriliaforum newb
    I have to disagree William, granted my opinion is only based on personal experience with my 2009 Factory and a prior early carb machine but, I find my machine ( used at least 5 days a week ) both benefited from 93 octane 10 alcohol. In both cases quicker off the line and 1-2 MPH more top speed.
    Would love to try Gas without alcohol, but nonexistent near me, well I could probably try seeing what they have at the airport but I would probably find something addictive expensive and then want it in the X5.

I found high octane and Castrol TTS to be the simplest upgrades.
    2009 Aprilia SR 50 Factory R (Piaggio)
    Totally derestricted
    Yasuni R Red Fortuna exhaust
    Yasuni VAR 003 Variator
    playing with roller weights
    Doppler SX86 clutch & Bell
    Motoforce Kevlar belt
    otherwise stock...

for now

The Anal Intruder William the Third's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ERICN View Post
    I have to disagree William, granted my opinion is only based on personal experience with my 2009 Factory and a prior early carb machine but, I find my machine ( used at least 5 days a week ) both benefited from 93 octane 10 alcohol. In both cases quicker off the line and 1-2 MPH more top speed.
    Would love to try Gas without alcohol, but nonexistent near me, well I could probably try seeing what they have at the airport but I would probably find something addictive expensive and then want it in the X5.

I found high octane and Castrol TTS to be the simplest upgrades.
    If that's what you feel works best for you, continue to use it.

The octane rating of fuel refers only to its resistance to pre-ignition and detonation, and nothing to do with quality or energy content. Higher octane fuel in an engine designed for lower octane fuel will not produce any gain in power, and can sometimes cause a slight loss in power. The reason high performance engines require high octane fuel is because they use high compression (either by a mechanical ratio, or by use of forced induction) and aggressive ignition timings to create that power. That is what causes pre-ignition and detonation, which is why a higher octane fuel is required to prevent damaging pre-ignition and detonation. These engines in our scooters are not "high performance" by any modern standards. They are low compression, and use modest ignition timings. On top of that, they are direct injected, which even further reduces the chances of (actually, make it nearly impossible) pre-ignition and detonation.
    #1 Forum Loser

1973 Harley-Davidson Aermacchi Z-90 - Restoration project
    1983 Kawasaki KZ750 Spectre - Fathers old bike
    1998 Kawasaki KE100 - My first bike at 14
    1998 Laverda Ghost Strike 668 - A fun little bike
    1999 Aprilia RS250 - Track bike
    2001 Aprilia RSV Mille - My first Aprilia
    2007 Aprilia SR50R Factory - My babe magnet
    2009 Aprilia SR50R Factory - My "help me I have a problem"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12