Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replaced Starter solenoid.... got APMT 0025

Replaced Starter solenoid.... got APMT 0025

Hi all

Here feeling neglected in Portland Oregon since local dealer dropped Aprilia from their lineup.

Mine is a '08 Tuono

Monday afternoon, rode back from work (about a 30 min ride), had dinner (another 30 mins) then bike behaved like it had a low battery. Live close to restaurant, had it AAA towed.
    Had the battery charged overnight with a tender and the bike started the next day. Did not ride that day.

Next day, the usual whirs and dashboard motions went on but no crank. Suspected bad starter solenoid as I took the battery to a shop to have it load tested and confirmed the battery to be good.

Today I replaced the starter solenoid with an aftermarket one sold by AF1 for this application (probably Yamaha part I see in many forums?).

Was careful to attach all connections correctly.
    Battery fully charged using tender.
    Got the whirrs and dashboard motions... went to start it, got a snap sound as if a fuse went, head lamp and went dash off. no crank.

removed all fuses, all checked continuous on ohm meter.
    replaced key and saw the dash rev counter move, no lights, no headlight and code APMT 0025.

I am at a loss as to what do next. Fear that ECU may be damaged, hope not.

Q1: Is there any local Aprilia shop/tech other than Motocorsa and Cheshire (sp?) both turned the bike down.
    Q2: Any comment on Seattle shop, seriously considering towing the bike up there to have it serviced.
    Q3: Any other advice on DIY diagnostics repairs on this issue is greatly appreciated

best regards,

Jorge
    JorgeR_1@yahoo.com
    2008 Tuono R

This is just great. I also updated started solenoid to 150A and at the same time got a new battery (Varta Funstart TTZ14S-BS, 12V 11Ah 230A). When I connected the battery I got the same APMT 0025 code. It only flashed once, but the red triangle keeps flashing now when the bike is off. There are no errors shown in the diagnostics and the bike starts and runs great...atleast for now. Tomorrow I'm going to check the ground wires and also if any fuses are blown.

Something must be in the air, because my 2nd gen Tuono located in Portland is doing EXACTLY as you describe!

After reading this thread and many others I really need to track down the earth connection and clean that. The idea to make any additional temporary make-shift earth connection is a good suggestion as well:
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...Help-it-s-Dead

My issues begun with a weak charging system...the bike was cutting out while running (I was at a track day and it was violently cutting out at random). The stator tested to be bad so I put in a new Rick's stator, with an upgraded series regulator/recitifer as well. I went to start the bike after the repair and it behaves exactly as you describe. Click but no crank. I took the battery in for a load test, all OK. With a jumper pack connected, still doesn't start. I then installed the Yamaha relay and no different.

So mate, we are in the same boat. Same APMT 0025 code on the dash as well.
    Last edited by skeelo221; 05-21-2014 at 05:02 PM.

I did the make-shift earth idea and that didn't help.

So I just checked all the fuses, cleaned all the connectors I could find (tail section, under the seat, under the tank, near the cylinders) and I also made sure that the ground wires were OK and properly connected. I even tried to make a temporary ground connection, but no luck there. What I did find was that my front cylinders spark plug cap wire was loose and it had suffered from
    oxidation..but as one might quess, sorting that out did not take away the APMT 0025 error and the flashing triangle.
    I'm beginning to think that this error is like Italian mistress saying "I have a headache". No one will ever know what is causing this for sure.

I located the ground connections on both sides but I could not get a socket in there to remove the hex screw. The left one I could probably get to but on the right side I don't see any way to access the bolt with the engine in the chassis. The connection is dead tight on both sides so all I could do was spray them down with some electrical contact cleaner. Again, the make-shift earth connection did not work for me so I am ruling out the bad ground for now.

Do you have an ECU error codes when you go into diagnostic mode on the dash? I have a P-Code of 0600 now...

I took the battery to another shop to get a 2nd load test on it just to make certain since 99% of these threads it turned out to be a bad battery. Again, checked out OK as it's a brand new battery I got just a few months ago. It was testing out to 400 CCA which is well over what it's rated at.

I just pulled the starter motor out to inspect that and it looks great. No oxidation on the connection whatsoever but cleaned everything up with electrical contact cleaner and re-installed. I measured the brush length and they are at 11mm and I read somewhere the spec on them is 8mm so looking good there.

Still just a clicking relay without any cranking. I'm getting about 12.5V at the starter when I push the starter button. This is starting to really suck balls because I don't know what else to check and the closest Aprilia dealership is 3 hours away...

I don't get any error codes from the diagnostics, just the APMT 0025 when connecting the battery...and the flashing triangle, but my bike starts and runs fine. Your P-Code of 0600 might point to starter relay short circuit. Are you sure you made the connections right when you changed the relay? I think we both can rule out the battery and the ground connections at this point.

Ya I'm sure. I used my multimeter at the connection at the starter motor and I get about 12.5V when I hold the starter button (with the cable disconnected from the starter, so no load).

OK..I don't know for sure but that clicking noise strongly points to bad starter relay. You can check this pretty easily to make sure if it's broken or not. Turn on power but do not try to start, instead bridge the starter relay terminals. If the bike starts, your relay is the problem.

I installed a brand new OEM Yamaha relay a week ago thinking it was a bad relay. With the new relay in there it's still doing the same thing...
    Bridging the relay with a screwdriver just makes a damn mess of sparks but maybe I will try that again.

Yeah I agree, not the best way but maybe the only one at this point to make sure. My original solenoid broke last year and started to make those clicking noises. I don't know about the Yamaha solenoid, but I replaced the old one with this and it works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by kreivi View Post
    but the red triangle keeps flashing now when the bike is off.
    Isn't that the warning that the transponder system is active, its supposted to blink.
    Tuono 2006
    Moto Guzzi V65tt 1986
    Citroen 2CV6 1986

apriliaforum newb
    I am having similar issues....The red triangle is blinking on my bike too...replaced my battery in April and the issue went away until tonight.......On the last post it made me think that I keep my key in the ignition at all times when its in the garage. I wonder if that has any thing to do with my charging issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Elsjo View Post
    Isn't that the warning that the transponder system is active, its supposted to blink.
    What a relief ! Now that I found the owners manual it clearly states on the page 13-14 that this triangle is "Red general warning light" and it should blink when the bike is off as it indicates that immobiliser system is enabled. But if the triangle keeps blinking when the bike is on, there is most likely a problem with the injection system / low oil pressure.
    Confirmation to this can be found from the manual here

After I saw the APMT 0025 I suspected the triangle started flashing because of that and the immobiliser indication used to come from the red line light...Glad I was wrong. Still it haunts me why some of us get the APMT 0025 when connecting the battery / after changing the starter solenoid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast