Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A good reason to get new RSV mirrors...

Pulling the dash panel isn't all that awful. The trim comes out first, then 4 bolts for the dash itself. I've found long standard screw driver works well to push on the locking tabs on the two plugs and giving a little twist while applying pressure to the back side of plugs makes removal of plugs much easier. The loom has a little slack too. As anything on this, once you've done it it's much easier. It's WAY easier than puling the whole front fairing. BTW, really, really avoid dropping little screws into the black hole that is Futura fairing. Unplugging and removing dash panel makes life much easier in there. I've removed mine more times than I care to admit. This is what it looks like with everything removed, hopefully yours is cleaner!
    Name:  DSC00195 - Copy.JPG
Views: 155
Size:  143.8 KB
    Last edited by Argh Oh; 05-02-2014 at 12:45 PM.
    01 Blue #84, 11/12 with: HeliBars, foam grips, 05 map, Borla cans (Replaced by 2" pipe)/stock silencer, derestricted, metal QD, dash socket, wiring mod. Me: Ford relay +10awg & grd, fuel pump rewire, FPR, vac hoses. Evap gone, CBR coils/harness+ Magnecor, clutch switch bypass. S.S. clutch & front line, RaceTech Gold fork, Cogent rebuilt Sachs, tapered head bearings. Added LED run lights/indicators/brake. All signals also run lights. All lights but Hi/park/brake on dash switch. Hi beam mod, vest plug, wiring block, blue dash SMD's/Red V meter, Tune IFT, PCIII gone. Stripped/polished rims, vented screen, rear petal disc. FH008 soldered DC plug/added grd/hard soldered AC. L/R dash indicator lights, RG frame/fork sliders, vented screen.

heres the new mirrors, excited to put them on today!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RSV Mirror 1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	177.4 KB 
ID:	250692  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RSV Mirror 2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	250691  

2011 Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200 (non-ABS/ATC) - #86 - 5100 Miles - Tail Tidy from AF - FatDuc

SOLD: 2001 RST 1000 Futura - #298 - Unrestricted - Charging Mod with all solder joints - Mosfet @ 14.2VDC w/ dash mount indicator - Ford Starter Mod - Nano-Tech Dry Battery - RSV4 Mirrors - 31K miles - Michelin Pilot Road 4's

Replacing the mirrors went flawless. I thought I would have a few hiccups (especially on the air temp sensor) but it went smooth.

Removed the dash, left it plugged in and moved it side to side for access. The Aprilia tool kit is perfect for this. But here are some pictures for you guys.

Note: the duct tape was a quick fix on the ferry (when I broke it), but the funny thing is that it was more stable and less jiggly to see through.

Name:	duct tape fix 1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	250714  

2011 Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200 (non-ABS/ATC) - #86 - 5100 Miles - Tail Tidy from AF - FatDuc

SOLD: 2001 RST 1000 Futura - #298 - Unrestricted - Charging Mod with all solder joints - Mosfet @ 14.2VDC w/ dash mount indicator - Ford Starter Mod - Nano-Tech Dry Battery - RSV4 Mirrors - 31K miles - Michelin Pilot Road 4's

The insides weren't super dirty like your picture was, but I gave it a nice wipe down. Also, my view through the mirrors as you can see is a little 'elbowie'. I think I may be extending my elbow outward to see instead of tucking in like before. This was expected and the looks trump the usability. Even on the OEM mirrors I still couldn't see everything I had wanted to. I'm very used to not being able to use mirrors anyhow since my Harley vibrated mirrors too badly.

Name:	broken mirror 2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	250715  

Name:	remove dash 3.jpg 
Size:	293.7 KB 
ID:	250716  

Name:	dirty insides 4.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	150.1 KB 
ID:	250717  

Name:	new hardware 5.jpg 
Size:	157.2 KB 
ID:	250718  

Name:	air temp sensor 6.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	250719  

Name:	job complete 7.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	250720  

Name:	blinker demo 8.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	250721  

Name:	my view 9.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	250722  

Name:	view through mirror 10.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	250723  

Nice! There are some posts about mirror mounts/spacers that fit between talk and body thus raising it and moving out too. Something to consider if you choose. Yours look really good on the Fut. BTW mine is cleaner under the front now LOL.
    01 Blue #84, 11/12 with: HeliBars, foam grips, 05 map, Borla cans (Replaced by 2" pipe)/stock silencer, derestricted, metal QD, dash socket, wiring mod. Me: Ford relay +10awg & grd, fuel pump rewire, FPR, vac hoses. Evap gone, CBR coils/harness+ Magnecor, clutch switch bypass. S.S. clutch & front line, RaceTech Gold fork, Cogent rebuilt Sachs, tapered head bearings. Added LED run lights/indicators/brake. All signals also run lights. All lights but Hi/park/brake on dash switch. Hi beam mod, vest plug, wiring block, blue dash SMD's/Red V meter, Tune IFT, PCIII gone. Stripped/polished rims, vented screen, rear petal disc. FH008 soldered DC plug/added grd/hard soldered AC. L/R dash indicator lights, RG frame/fork sliders, vented screen.

It just started raining after a week of gorgeous sunny awesomeness. I was going to test out the new mirrors to see if I need to silicone caulk them to stay put and not vibrate but I would rather not mess around with a super slick road. (first day of rain is always the worst after the oil has been baked out of asphalt). So maybe tomorrow if it gets better.

apriliaforum expert Stanleybobly's Avatar
    Gixxer K5 and up mirrors will also fit !

sold: "01 Caponord |Flame Red|, Modlist done: Honda CBR600 RR Mosfet (FH008) Rectifier Mod, Brown Connector Mod
    now: "04 Caponord |Rally Raid| FH016 Mosfet R/R | GPR Titanium Exhaust|
    01 Futura [infinity blue]
    Caponord Stanleybobly style loomed MOSFET Rectifiers & Fuelline Kit FS

apriliaforum expert northern phil's Avatar
    But do need an angled spacer.

Might thin plastic shims help the shaking? It helped my stock mirrors a lot.

apriliaforum expert thesprocket26's Avatar
    sorry for the delay, just had internet turned back on at home. they may seem a bit wide, but with all the gear I'm hauling I really like to see what is behind me clearly at all times. to each their own.

here is Folded in,

extended,

driver position
    If your idea of sport-touring is multi-position seats, cruise control and electrically-adjustable windshields, youíre probably not Italian and you donít deserve a Futura. - Kevin Duke

2001 RST1000 Futura - GSXR coil mod, Magnecore HT leads, Honda reg/rec mod, custom built twin tail mufflers, LED high beams, LED front turn lamps, LED rear brake and turn lamps, Oxford heated grips, Oberon clutch slave, fancy blue hardware bits, air horn mod, pannier stainless cable retention mod, large Odyssey battery mod, 05 fuel map

They take a little getting used to, but look very effective as actual rear view mirrors. The large signals and folding like that is a plus. Did you mount the temp sensor?

With them folded in are they as narrow as the stock folded in or a bit wider? It is kinda hard to tell from your folded picture.

I think they look great though! I am sick of not knowing what is exactly behind me. It can be hard to see other riders who follow in your tyre tracks.

Thanks!
    Last edited by BadMiker; 05-07-2014 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Spelling
    "A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu
    2001 Futura
    Mods: HEL Front and Rear SS Brake Lines, Rear Hugger, Scott Oiler, Oxford HotGrips with eBay LED Dimmer Control, Garmin GPS and RAM Mount, Moko Frame Protection, Elextrex World MOSFeT RR with Wiring Mod, Tom Parker Metal QDís, Loud Ass Ford Transit Horn, Silicone Vacuum Lines, FPR Mod, De-Restricted Intake, 05 Map, Datatool System3 Immobiliser, Yamaha Starter Relay, BagLux Tank Cover and Alpha Bag With Power, Perelli Angel GTs, 25mm 170 Amp Power and Ground Cables, LED AUX Lights, LED Turn signals Converted to Running Lights, 3-Beam Main Beam Mod, Dash LEDs, HID Low Beam, Fuel Filler Neck Chop.
    To Come: Exhaust, Rear Shock, Forks and Brakes.

I have the temp sensor mounted on the left mirror stalk, I'll get a pic when I get home today.

When folded, I believe the mirrors are more narrow than the footpegs, as I push this bike into the house the pegs catch but not the mirrors. I'll get some measurements too if you like.
    If your idea of sport-touring is multi-position seats, cruise control and electrically-adjustable windshields, youíre probably not Italian and you donít deserve a Futura. - Kevin Duke

2001 RST1000 Futura - GSXR coil mod, Magnecore HT leads, Honda reg/rec mod, custom built twin tail mufflers, LED high beams, LED front turn lamps, LED rear brake and turn lamps, Oxford heated grips, Oberon clutch slave, fancy blue hardware bits, air horn mod, pannier stainless cable retention mod, large Odyssey battery mod, 05 fuel map

temp sensor

folded in they are 29" wide. the handlebar weights are 30" wide

Nice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast