Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: XV Tuner : Map Editing SXV/RXV maps

XV Tuner : Map Editing SXV/RXV Maps

Firstly, I'd like to thank SXVINWA for all the help over the years, he is a great member of this forum, a great friend and has been a great help to me personally. He has always gone out of his way to offer support for those having troubles with XV Tuner when I'm busy/away and now he has been good enough to help me out with creating a definitions file for a third party map editing software.

Now down to business....
    There are a number of options for editing the map files, you can use something as simple as a hex editor, or complex software like WinOLS. Looking at the free options, an open source project called RomRaider was the platform, we chose to use offer the definitions files for. You can find more info about RomRaider at the projects website http://www.romraider.com/ There are a great number of tutorials showing the basics of RomRaider, a good getting started guide can be found on YouTube.

The XML definition file will only allow you to edit the .bin files included in the editor package, you WILL NOT be able to edit any other .bin files. XV Tuner v2 will be needed to upload the edited .bin files to the ECU, your edited files MUST be in the User/My Documents/XV Tuner/Maps folder. The best practice is to give your custom map a meaningful base name and keep track of each mapping session with a version number or the date. Start a note file for each custom map with the same base name as your .bin, keep track of any changes you have made in that version, this note files will help you keep track of your changes and will serve as a reminder of the changes you have made along the way to your current map.

Please be aware that when XV Tuner v3 is released it will only allow you to upload .bin files that are based on the editable .bin files included in the editor pack, unlike v2 which always you to upload any .bin file.

Map editing is a detail oriented task, you can easily damage your bike with a few wrong mouse clicks and not double checking your work. Please be careful and think your changes through before you make them, that one time you rush to make a change will be the time something isn't right and it will cost you..

If there are any questions directly about map editing, please post them in this thread and this thread only. AF1 has been great to all of us with there support of the Aprilia brand and allowing info about XV Tuner to be posted in their forum, we don't need to clutter their forum with a bunch of threads. Also a single thread helps new users get up to speed by having the info all in one place.

If you are interested in the editable .bin files and definition file please email me and ONLY me directly. Currently this will be a controlled public release, meaning I'll happily send you the package for free, however you will have to email me with the subject title of "Editor Files" include your full name, bike model/s, and a short sentence explaining that you understand that modifying the maps inside the ECU could result in damage to your bike and be a danger to yourself and the people around you. If your request does not contain the requested information above I will not reply. Please give me 72 hours to respond before you send another email.

kwest(at)westernracingdevelopments.com
    Last edited by KWest; 08-03-2016 at 10:49 PM.
    If you have any questions about XV Tuner feel free to contact me directly via email. My email can be found on the WRD website.

Exciting!

XV Tuner : Map Editing SXV/RXV maps

Email sent! This is so awesome :-)

Edit: and response received!
    Last edited by Danneh; 03-25-2014 at 12:05 AM.

apriliaforum expert
    Got it sorted on my Bootcamped Mac...

Looks great...

Thanks heaps...

I nominate this thread for sticky status reckon it'll get busy in here lol

Thanks for everything Kurt.

What maps are these .bin files that you're supplying for edit based on?
    '09 MXV450

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Racing View Post
    The motor and maps are race orientated, and want gunning !!

apriliaforum expert
    They are selected maps from the original list...

The Alice maps are missing, completely understandable...

Been having a play with it and comparing maps...

Very interesting, very happy...

2 questions

1. When i save a modified map file, romraider software does not add any extension to the file (.bin, .hex etc). I added myself though but is there any problem?
    2. Is there a fast way to copy a whole map and enter it? ie copy silmoto mapping to soft mode on dual mapping bikes. Or is it a DO NOT DO IT "rule"?

1. You can add the .bin to the end without issue. Once you have saved your first file with a unique name, things are easier if you select that file when you are going to save it, and just update a revision number (ie. I have saved my custom file as "SXVINWA.SXV450.V3.bin)

2. It is easy to copy entire tables or partial tables, but it does take a little practice to make sure it pastes correctly in the new table.

As always, I have no objection to answering any questions that may come up with the software, if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by bros400pgm View Post
    2 questions

1. When i save a modified map file, romraider software does not add any extension to the file (.bin, .hex etc). I added myself though but is there any problem?
    2. Is there a fast way to copy a whole map and enter it? ie copy silmoto mapping to soft mode on dual mapping bikes. Or is it a DO NOT DO IT "rule"?
    You have to manually set the extension, for XV Tuner it should be .bin.

To clear up a few things..
    There is a difference between a map file and the tables in a map file. The map file is the whole complete file, its made up of the ECU firmware and all the tables that the ECU needs to function (fuel, ignition, phase). In each map file there are over a hundred tables, each table has a specific purpose, some control the injected fuel, some control how long the ECU uses the Start maps, others are a simple TRUE/FALSE to control if a map has one or two sets of tables.

You CAN copy the tables available in RomRaider from one map to another map. So if you wanted a Silmoto/VDB map, you could start with any of the correct dual maps for your bike and copy the Silmoto tables into the Hard tables and VDB into the Soft tables. Since each map files contains tables that RomRaider can't modify it is very important that you use the same map file as your base for all your custom maps, if you are doing direct comparisons between them. In the future I will do a unified base map for each model that will have the optimized tables that are outside the scope of what RomRaider will let you modify.
    If you have any questions about XV Tuner feel free to contact me directly via email. My email can be found on the WRD website.

Sounds very very interesting! Seems, that I'll have to do some more night-work to get to grips with all those things about editing a file/map...
    As always, an outstanding, great work of enthusiams for the XV's!

PM is on the way to you Kurt

Cheers from germany

it's awesome!

noted the editable or .bin files are about half the size of the other .map files. does this mean that when a .bin is uploaded, only the editable tables are changed and all other tables (baro pressure, temp and so) are unaffected or the same as the map that were previously loaded?

Software works great, been playing with it today

The .bin files contain all of the data that the .map files contain. The .bin files are smaller because they are "raw" files containing no checksums or encryption, which makes them vulnerable to corruption. Without checksums to verify that the data is what it was supposed to be, there is more of a chance that corrupt data will be sent to the ECU. I don't fully understand it all, and I'm sure that my answer is simplified and incomplete, but the bottom line is that the .bin files are complete map files. As with loading any map, everything within the ECU is replaced, except the tune constants...

apriliaforum Junkie luvdatits550's Avatar
    Thanks Kurt.

I sent the email three minutes ago and his reply was one minute ago... I seriously love the type of help we get in the XV forum....

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast