Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: T12 Stator Cooling Mod

T12 Stator Cooling Mod

Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone who is interested in the Stator Oil Mod as described in the RSVR threads. T12 in Denmark is making the kit in anodized black. I received mine today, much earlier than expected. Took about 6 business days to my door in Portland, Oregon. The packaging was good, and the parts are immaculate. Machining and anodizing are perfect. Mathias (owner of T12) had excellent communication throughout the transaction. Price in USD was $105 plus shipping (about $24 shipped as a letter).

http://t12tech.com/products/aprilia-rsvr.html

I'll be installing it soon, then racking up miles quickly. Many west coast trips are planned for this spring, eastern Oregon this weekend, and New York this summer. I'll post up another photo after install, but here it is on the welding table...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	70FA78CE-3C41-4816-8BD5-24C96DB81DC7_zpsmrna7911.jpg 
Views:	585 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	246291
    2007.5 Aprilia Tuono
    1979 Suzuki GS750
    2007 Suzuki SV650 (sold)
    2008 Triumph Bonneville (sold)

That is a nice looking system.

Just to make sure I understand how it works.

It is cool oil coming from the outlet of the oil cooler that is split with part sent back to the oil tank and part to the stator, correct?

Do the red lines show the correct direction of oil flow?

Thats the intention. Very small hole drilled in the end of the plug going to the stator. The hole is angled to not spray directly on the center of the stator, but rather to spray onto the coils.
    2007.5 Aprilia Tuono
    1979 Suzuki GS750
    2007 Suzuki SV650 (sold)

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Wow nice kit, Thank you for the heads up.

Here's the thread if you are not aware of it...
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ries-Regulator

In short, some folks in Italy have been researching why the stator is burning up, and concluded it's heat more than any other factor. This mod coupled with a series regulator, which will allow to temporarily take the load off the stator when not needed, have proven to be helpful in increasing stator life. They even give a CAD drawing with the exact dimensions of the special plug needed in case you want a local machinist to make you one. I chose to get one thru Mathias at T12 only because I didn't have time to wait for a machine shop to get it done, then source all the fittings needed. The point of this thread is not only to let others know about the mod, but also to give an option for a bolt-on kit. I should note that I don't have any relation to Mathias or T12. He's just a machinist in Denmark who rides an RSVR and was also tired of replacing stators.

Maybe someone in the states will adopt this kit soon if it is time tested...?
    Last edited by Drewbis1; 03-19-2014 at 06:04 AM.
    2007.5 Aprilia Tuono
    1979 Suzuki GS750
    2007 Suzuki SV650 (sold)

On the Englandshire side of the Welsh Border
    The oil cooling will help...but it's not a cure.

Mainly it's early bikes with the 500w rotor that are at risk.

Correct fix is to swap to a 370w (380 even?) rotor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    The oil cooling will help...but it's not a cure.

Mainly it's early bikes with the 500w rotor that are at risk.

Correct fix is to swap to a 370w (380 even?) rotor.
    What he said. Though the $1400 fix is slightly out of my budget.
    2007.5 Aprilia Tuono
    1979 Suzuki GS750
    2007 Suzuki SV650 (sold)

I got my oil cooling mod in the mail last Thurs. and quality looks very nice. I will do a visual inspection of stator in the next week or 2. If stator looks shiny and new and output is within spec I will just install oil cooling mod and a series regulator and call it good. Did u have a stator fail on you net Drewbis1? I have not. I was talking to the owner of a local Duc/Ape dealer and mentioned the oil cooling mod and he told me he has sold ALOT of aprilias and told me the hype on the stator problems was way overblown and reported very few incidents. Nevertheless I will follow thru with my plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbis1 View Post
    Thats the intention. Very small hole drilled in the end of the plug going to the stator. The hole is angled to not spray directly on the center of the stator, but rather to spray onto the coils.
    Does the basic engine design (without this modification) include oil flow into the stator ?

I assume it must, so this works by increasing the volume of oil for cooling and by directing more cooling oil onto the stator coils. Is that correct ?
    Last edited by Jeff U; 03-19-2014 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fzwilly View Post
    Did u have a stator fail on you net Drewbis1?
    I have not, since I've owned the bike. But I got it in July with 2,800 miles on it, and I think the stator was already replaced. The colors of the yellow wires at the brown connector, including the half of the brown connector that attaches the stator wires were all very shiny and new. The regulator wires and half of brown connector were faded, old, and dirty.

Regarding your local duc/ape dealer; You think he's referring to the V4's? I think they have an oil jet built into the motor to keep the stator cool. If he's talking about Gen 2, he probably only sees the warranty work. If the bike is out of warranty, people are probably swapping the stator themselves. It's a quick and simple job.

By the way, what week are you going to be at the dragon? I got a heads up that the Blue Ridge Parkway is just as good as the Dragon, but 400 miles long.
    2007.5 Aprilia Tuono
    1979 Suzuki GS750
    2007 Suzuki SV650 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff U View Post
    Does the basic engine design (without this modification) include oil flow into the stator ?

I assume it must, so this works by increasing the volume of oil for cooling and by directing more cooling oil onto the stator coils. Is that correct ?
    No, there is no oil directed at the stator in oem condition.

Quote Originally Posted by kzmille View Post
    No, there is no oil directed at the stator in oem condition.
    If there is no oil directed at the stator in the OEM condition and we install a system like this one to do exactly that, is there a path for the newly directed oil to get out?
    Last edited by Jeff U; 03-19-2014 at 07:37 PM.

The OEM stator setup sits in a slight oil bath, no?
    2007.5 Aprilia Tuono
    1979 Suzuki GS750
    2007 Suzuki SV650 (sold)

Any concern that the point where the oil is being diverted is just before it returns to the oil tank?

This point in the system is about as far away from the oil filter as you can get.

As a result, we are spraying the stator with oil that contains any debris it pick up going through the engine.

And, we are creating an oil path that completely bypasses the oil filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbis1 View Post
    I have not, since I've owned the bike. But I got it in July with 2,800 miles on it, and I think the stator was already replaced. The colors of the yellow wires at the brown connector, including the half of the brown connector that attaches the stator wires were all very shiny and new. The regulator wires and half of brown connector were faded, old, and dirty.

Regarding your local duc/ape dealer; You think he's referring to the V4's? I think they have an oil jet built into the motor to keep the stator cool. If he's talking about Gen 2, he probably only sees the warranty work. If the bike is out of warranty, people are probably swapping the stator themselves. It's a quick and simple job.

By the way, what week are you going to be at the dragon? I got a heads up that the Blue Ridge Parkway is just as good as the Dragon, but 400 miles long.
    He was referring to the GenII and even if it was out of warranty he would most likely get feed back at some point in time, They are a great dealer with alot of return business ( they also sell high end gear)......I am leaving Boston on Saturday 6-7-14 and should arrive at Deals Gap on Wed. 6-11-14. Slabbing it to harrisonburg,VA and turning west into W.V for some fun before hitting the Gap. Soooo many nice roads we are hitting on the way down..... Will only travel on the BRP from Asheville N.C to Cherokee N.C due to the low speed limit and high leo presence.
    Last edited by fzwilly; 03-19-2014 at 09:27 PM. Reason: wrong date arrival

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast