Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Futura Information/Repairs

There are a number of threads about the King Bearing, though sadly it seems this last "Batman" is the most hideous and there have been a lot of good hints given. The usual suspects that are always helpful with their insight and experience. When it's finally all done I'll do kind of a recap.
    Last edited by Argh Oh; 03-07-2014 at 02:27 AM.
    01 Blue #84, 11/12 with: HeliBars, foam grips, 05 map, Borla cans (Replaced by 2" pipe)/stock silencer, derestricted, metal QD, dash socket, wiring mod. Me: Ford relay +10awg & grd, fuel pump rewire, FPR, vac hoses. Evap gone, CBR coils/harness+ Magnecor, clutch switch bypass. S.S. clutch & front line, RaceTech Gold fork, Cogent rebuilt Sachs, tapered head bearings. Added LED run lights/indicators/brake. All signals also run lights. All lights but Hi/park/brake on dash switch. Hi beam mod, vest plug, wiring block, blue dash SMD's/Red V meter, Tune IFT, PCIII gone. Stripped/polished rims, vented screen, rear petal disc. FH008 soldered DC plug/added grd/hard soldered AC. L/R dash indicator lights, RG frame/fork sliders, vented screen.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hi All
    Just wondering if here is a post for the headlight mod to keep all lights on in high beam would like to do that

apriliaforum Member
    Added the high/low beam switch mod.
    Added the helmet locks/hooks mod.

apriliaforum Member
    Added Evoluzione clutch slave fix.
    Added a link to the Futura fork servicing article.
    Added emperorluigi's Givi MonoKey custom mount.

apriliaforum Member
    Added vacuum line check valve part numbers
    Added vacuum line check valve repair
    Added rear bag mount rubber attachment repair

Thank you!
    01 Blue #84, 11/12 with: HeliBars, foam grips, 05 map, Borla cans (Replaced by 2" pipe)/stock silencer, derestricted, metal QD, dash socket, wiring mod. Me: Ford relay +10awg & grd, fuel pump rewire, FPR, vac hoses. Evap gone, CBR coils/harness+ Magnecor, clutch switch bypass. S.S. clutch & front line, RaceTech Gold fork, Cogent rebuilt Sachs, tapered head bearings. Added LED run lights/indicators/brake. All signals also run lights. All lights but Hi/park/brake on dash switch. Hi beam mod, vest plug, wiring block, blue dash SMD's/Red V meter, Tune IFT, PCIII gone. Stripped/polished rims, vented screen, rear petal disc. FH008 soldered DC plug/added grd/hard soldered AC. L/R dash indicator lights, RG frame/fork sliders, vented screen.

apriliaforum Member
    Added ground connection repair (with pictures!)

Is there a cam timing "how to"?
    2003 Aprilia RST1000 Futura, rebuilt & repainted BMW Imola Red. De-restricted, wiring mod, metal QD, FPR mod with silicone vac lines, home-made H-Pipe, R1 end cans, CBR coils + Magnecore leads, timing set to 103/106, flywheel weight removed, '05 map, RSV forks, RSVR 320mm front discs, Brembo radial clutch and brake master cylinders, custom HEL brake lines, RSV mirrors, heated grips, GIPRO gear indicator & sparkbright battery monitor integrated in dashboard, HID headlight with lightswitch mod, LED sidelight, hazard lights, Audi horn, powedercoated wheels and side castings
    KTM 453EXC enduro/supermoto

apriliaforum expert northern phil's Avatar
    Cam timing, plenty on here. Do a search for cam timing.

There are lots of threads and discussions, read it all twice or more till it sinks in. It takes a bit of getting your head around and doesnt all make full sense untill you dive in.

It takes me a good week of 3hrs per night do time up a motor.

You need to be methodical. If it goes wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ouch.

Slotting the cam wheels is the hardest part.

For a futura 103/106 is the accepted setting.

^^^^^^ A slotted gear kit is available from AF1.

Thanks, just struggling to find info and method all in one thread!
    I'm prepared for the time and awkwardness of the task, have timed cams in before but not on a bike. Its just small things like can i trust the TDC notches to be accurate? I have now bought a TDC tool to get it 100% accurate. And its a v engine...
    Slotting cam wheels is easy for me - luckily i work in engineering and have a supplier who can machine them for me.
    Biggest concern is the cam cover bolts, plenty of corrosion on the cam cover so i think i may have problems removing them...
    103/106 is interesting as the RSV boys seem to go for 106/106. I guess this gives better mid-range more suited to the character of the Fut
    Wish me luck and thanks for your help
    2003 Aprilia RST1000 Futura, rebuilt & repainted BMW Imola Red. De-restricted, wiring mod, metal QD, FPR mod with silicone vac lines, home-made H-Pipe, R1 end cans, CBR coils + Magnecore leads, timing set to 103/106, flywheel weight removed, '05 map, RSV forks, RSVR 320mm front discs, Brembo radial clutch and brake master cylinders, custom HEL brake lines, RSV mirrors, heated grips, GIPRO gear indicator & sparkbright battery monitor integrated in dashboard, HID headlight with lightswitch mod, LED sidelight, hazard lights, Audi horn, powedercoated wheels and side castings
    KTM 453EXC enduro/supermoto

Keep us posted. I chickened out on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Argh Oh View Post
    Mine was TALLER than stock but fits. Mostly.
    Check that. The YTZ14S is shorter than the OE ytx12-bs
    2007 Tuono 1000R Factory - 22K miles
    Cored OE Racing CansMap2Pazzo Shorty Knock-offs15-40AF1 Link PlatesAprilia Sliders
    Laminar WindscreenLowered PegsLED City and Tag Lights
    ProTaper Universal LowClear Signal Lenses

2017 Z125 PRO in Candy Lime Green
    Many mods

2001 Futura in Silver - Sold, after 8.5 years of service.

Retired - DJ, Turntablist, MC, Creator, Video Editor and Mixologist.
    Cored OE Cans vs Leo Vince Titanium Vid
    Slammin' Tunes!

HF152, 10-26954
    HF564 .024-.028

Chrome extension to see photobucket blocked pics.

Honest, it's taller. Sorry, YTX 14-BS. ​My bad.

Thank you. A very useful thread.
    No Matter Where You Are, There You Go!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast