Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Futura Information/Repairs

I am also considering LED head lighting as an upgrade from HID.

I have been running 3 HIDs for years now. The acrylic lens still seems OK, but I only have 25k miles.

I appreciate the instant-on of the LEDs and the color purity.

Also, the weight of 3 big ballasts is crimpin' my wheelie style.

Most of the aftermarket LEDs suffer from poor design, in that the LEDs do not replicate the OEM halogen filament placement very well, and the result is a poor beam shape.

Has anyone found a not too expensive successful LED kit?

I did LED's swap over 1 year ago.
    I don't ride at night, so only wanted th 'white' light to be more visible and give me the lower effort on the stator.
    To 'solve' the problem of the heat, I used what I would call an 'old' style LED wiht the built in fan & mounted them through the rubber water/dust cover so it should be drawing heat out of the headlight itself. Ones I used has a built-in controller so no extra ballast as in the box.
    I didn't measure / test / evaluate the beam pattern, but it passed the government road test again 6 weeks ago, so either its OK or they didn't look to closely.
    For me at least, it was a success.
    Something very much like this, can't post exact link as its expired from my evilbay.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H8-H9-H11....c100005.m1851
    Last edited by old git; 05-05-2019 at 03:43 AM.
    Fire Red Falco, my 1st Love.
    sidestand mod (Hayabusa), charging mod, larger sealed airbox, Gabro chip lower Buell rider pegs, braided lines, custom rider seat, home brew hard panniers, OHlins bouncer
    Add Two Tone RS Touring Futura'04, knock-off levers, charging mod, 05map, NWS hugger, Ohlins shock, 12v socket, lowered rider pegs, 848 twin exhausts, revamped plate hanger with pannier support.
    What's not to love!!.er

apriliaforum newb
    Dear Futura friends, I recently bought a second Aprilia Futura.
    During the disassembling of the bike I came across this:

Name:  Aprilia RST 1000 Futura 1.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  96.1 KB

When I had the tape removed, I came across this. Are those plummer parts?

Name:  Aprilia RST 1000 Futura 2.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  95.6 KB

For sure its not the original plastic or the newer metallic quick disconnect.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC 320mm brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch.
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

or any kinda quick disconnect for that matter. lol. Yep, look like bits from the plumbing dept at the home store.

At a minimum, you should consider replacing those hose clamps with ones meant for fuel lines - like these https://www.autozone.com/collision-b...amp/940355_0_0
    should be easy enough to find.

apriliaforum newb
    The funny thing is, I expected it to leak but it did'nt! There was one thing that scared the sh%t out of me.
    I had decided to transfer the bike in a small truck to my place. After a short test drive I placed it in the truck.
    When I got home and checked the rear tire I saw the rear-wheel was mounted in a wrong way. The previous owner
    had mounted the rear-wheel beside the three pins which lock the wheel in place. The rear-wheel had been so tightly locked up
    I had to use a special lenght ratchet.

Quote Originally Posted by Farfalloni View Post
    The funny thing is, I expected it to leak but it did'nt! There was one thing that scared the sh%t out of me.
    I had decided to transfer the bike in a small truck to my place. After a short test drive I placed it in the truck.
    When I got home and checked the rear tire I saw the rear-wheel was mounted in a wrong way. The previous owner
    had mounted the rear-wheel beside the three pins which lock the wheel in place. The rear-wheel had been so tightly locked up
    I had to use a special lenght ratchet.
    With the back wheel on properly, and set to 125 ft-lbs of torque, it takes more than a "std." length wrench to overcome the friction and torque applied to that large flat surface. I use a 3ft long pipe slid over top of a 3/4 drive breaker bar and it still takes a pretty good push while holding the brake pedal down and using the passenger grab rail for support.

More perfectly good wheels have been ruined by mounting them wrong like that. Doesn't seem all that hard to get it right, but people are always in a hurry. There's never time to do things right the 1st time, but there's always time to do it over. sheesh

apriliaforum newb
    According to the workshopmanual is has to be 170Nm. I always manage it with my "standard" 70cm long 1/2" ratchet on my Aprilia.
    But this Aprilia was something different. I was afraid it had been too tightly locked up and some damage had been done to the screw-theard.
    Luckely enough it did'nt. And yes, how simple could it be? It is all in the instruction manual, step by step. On the other hand, you learn a lot
    working on a bike like this.

170Nm = 125 ft-lbs And your 70cm wrench is 27.5", so shorter than the 36" I've used, but still a lot bigger than what I would consider std. size for any wrench. My biggest torque wrench is about 70cm, but it's not advised to use a clicker torque wrench to loosen

Anyway - hopefully the wheel was not damaged.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234