Thread: multi ecu

apriliaforum newb

multi ecu

Hello forum.

Im new here, and im from holland.
    Maybe some of you know about the crazy 50cc rules in our country.
    I have a aprilia sr 50 factory from the year 2006 with a piagio engine.
    I got it mechanicly and electronicly deristricted and it runs up to 90 km/h

Here comes the problem in holland its only legal to let it run to 50km/h.
    And the police runs random road blocks to check 50cc scooters on their speed
    To fool the cops ive build in a 25km/h ecu version of a morini engine to keep the max rpm at 7500
    But when i run the morini ecu service light and text comes on screen, and when i check for errors there are non.
    Engine runs normal(exept for the loss of speed)
    Is there any way to stop this error to come.

Greetz

No... not if what you are using is a Morini ECU on a Piaggio.
    The best thing to do is not break the laws.

apriliaforum expert
    its normal that you get error codes because the program is made to fir the morini engine and to belive that morini specs are the norm
    piaggio engine has there own sensors and other running specifications
    it is normal to have error meseges

apriliaforum newb
    I though maybe its the same as the malossi ecu,
    That 1 also gives the red service light and in some threads i saw that it could be fixed

“I reject your reality, and substitute my own.” CANADA
    No... The Malossi ECU is also for the Morini motor only. Malossi makes a piggy-back module not an ECU replacement for the PPJ motors, but that won’t help you for what you are trying to achieve.

If you have a PPJ motor, you could run a Morini ECU without too much issues or risks from a mechanical POV, but you will always have the Oil ECU code (and resulting light) appear on the dash because it can’t “see” an attached Oil Pump (BTW, this may also result in the engine being shut down on you as the ECU tries to "protect" the engine from running dry of oil). But if you have a Morini motor, you CAN NOT use a PPJ ECU on it as it has no Oil Pump driver and as such, you run the risk of bricking your engine...

The PPJ equipped SR50 still has, if I’m not mistaken, the Morini Oil Pump connector on it (located along the right side of the bike) just tie-wrapped out of the way. You could jumper it with the appropriate resistor (I’m not sure what it is; you may even be able to use a simple wire to jump the connectors. But, if this is done wrong, this could have a BAD outcome… as in the bike could catch fire!) to “fool” the ECU into thinking it has the pump attached.

I understand what, and why, you are doing this, but IF you plan to continue, your best bet is to find a matching ECU for your motor (PPJ) that is at the speed restriction you want/require.

Having said that, the cops there are not stupid, you are not the first to come up with this idea and if they do find your "trick"... Well, it’s like anything else, as long as you're prepared to live with the consequences of your actions, have at her...

Personally, I wouldn't take the chance. The potential costs and risks, IMO is just too high. I'm not sure if they allow it, but you may be better of having the bike registered and titled (if it's allowed) as a motorcycle and then you can mod her till she does Mach 9 if that's what you fancy. Here in Winnipeg, Manitoba (Canada), generally speaking, we can modify our bikes as long as we register them in the right class. In other words, once we go over 50cc's and/or 50kph, we are REQUIRED to register it in the higher motorcycle class (I have to do that to mine this Insurance year... MPI finally caught up to me ) and have a Motorcycle License as well (have had that for years already). To be caught outside of those "limits" either through traffic enforcement (i.e. a speeding ticket. BIG fine and the bike has it's plate removed and is towed) or if you get into an accident, our Insurer won't cover you.

Tempus Fugit
    06 SR50 (Morini)/AIRSAL 70CC BBK/NGK BR9EIX/Top Speed-117KPH (GPS)!!
    Rear Rack & Top Case/Buzzetti Side stand/Aprilia Racing Shock W/STR8 65mmRiser/HGT Stretch Kit
    HGT PFI Kit/Malossi MHR Team II Pipe/All Polished Water Pump
    Black HGT Gen 3 Fuel Regulator/Stebel Magnum Horn/Glowshift Elite Gauge
    BING 26mm TBA/BGM Pro Reed Block & Pod Filter
    Polished Aluminum Varo W/Kick start/Pod Filter/HEL Brake Lines
    HGT Red Brake Levers/LED bulbs/BGM LED Tail Light
    Malossi Delta Clutch w/Blue springs/Red Contra spring & TC/MHR Full Circle Crank
    Malossi 15/40 Primary Gears & Multivar w/5gr Dr. Pulley Sliders/Kevlar Belt
    Michelin Pilot Sport 140/60 Rear tire w/Dyna Beads&TPMS Sensor

apriliaforum Junkie von Unteren's Avatar
    You could jumper it with the appropriate resistor (I’m not sure what it is; you may even be able to use a simple wire to jump the connectors. But, if this is done wrong, this could have a BAD outcome… as in the bike could catch fire!) to “fool” the ECU into thinking it has the pump attached.

-just been there and tried that. Tried a Morini ecu on a Factory Purejet. I used a 26ohm resistance as the pump has 26.3Ohm resistance stated in the SR50 Morini Ditech manual. But (my) Factory service indicator went on after 3 seconds after booting the dash/starting the engine.
    Entering diagnostics resulted in no errors active or stored though, wich concludes in my case the Morini ecu connected on a Piaggio Purejet still results in a lightnet Service indication.
    How tháts come, i dont know. I placed the Piaggio ECU back. And it did ran with an Morini ECU btw.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...=1#post3542398

I do understand Chidoo but also Grenadiers in "conflicting" reasons to mess with the restriction. But if there's a way to tackle this, this forum and time might be the right place. Maybe someone with the right tools can understand why the Morini ecu triggers the Service indictor. One thing is certain. There will be a couple of more satisfied Purejet riders in Holland then.
    Piaggio 2007 Factory
    ±9.000 km
    Custom paint and decals
    50cc cilinder
    Stock derestricted setup
    Sito Plus
    Multivar, 6gr rollers, white contra, springs at 6000rpm
    Watertrap
    NGK ZMR7AP

If the screwdriver brought you to this, of what use was the screwdriver?
    PM will be disregarded as of 20-2-2015..

There are many ways of limiting the performance at the flick of a switch but that doesn't make it legal.

apriliaforum newb
    Thnx for the replies
    Like von unteren i tried to fool the ecu with an oil pump
    But i used the original 1
    But as far as i know the aprilia factory cant be restricted any other way.
    you cant use a ignition restriction like most do here in holland then the motor wont even start.
    And pia ecu with a 25 km/h setting are very rare

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by High Gain Tuning View Post
    The best thing to do is not break the laws.
    makes me happy to know this guy is banned... and likely for breaking rules