Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Futura Custom Build

apriliaforum prov-nov

Futura Custom Build

Okay, so this is going to be the beginning of my build thread. It may not be all that interesting to some as many of the changes are just going to be replacing things with Tuono parts. There will be a few rather large changes though and I'm going to try my best to keep it in the Italian family. This is my second build and it may go a little slow as a lot of the funding is coming from the part out of many of the stock Futura components. Some of you will notice the brake rotors in the pics, I have to remove them still as they're stock Futura and I know they won't work. Anyway the tail is just sitting on there until i get a Mille tank. I need to see how close the fit is going to be before i start cutting. Hope you enjoy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Early After Tear Down 3.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	237208  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Early After Tear Down 2.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	237209  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Early After Tear Down 1.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	237210  

Thanks,
    Wyatt Ginapp

It will be interesting to see this take shape!
    01 Blue #84, 11/12 with: HeliBars, foam grips, 05 map, Borla cans (Replaced by 2" pipe)/stock silencer, derestricted, metal QD, dash socket, wiring mod. Me: Ford relay +10awg & grd, fuel pump rewire, FPR, vac hoses. Evap gone, CBR coils/harness+ Magnecor, clutch switch bypass. S.S. clutch & front line, RaceTech Gold fork, Cogent rebuilt Sachs, tapered head bearings. Added LED run lights/indicators/brake. All signals also run lights. All lights but Hi/park/brake on dash switch. Hi beam mod, vest plug, wiring block, blue dash SMD's/Red V meter, Tune IFT, PCIII gone. Stripped/polished rims, vented screen, rear petal disc. FH008 soldered DC plug/added grd/hard soldered AC. L/R dash indicator lights, RG frame/fork sliders, vented screen.

apriliaforum Member
    So what's the objective of the build? Are you trying to make the Futura more sporting with the Tuono parts or? Are you going to be keeping the bags or?

apriliaforum expert thesprocket26's Avatar
    What was your first build? Another Futura/Tuono mix?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    First build was a Kawasaki ZX600 D2 Ninja. Put Yamaha FZR 1000 forks and '04 GSXR 1000 tail on it. Flat black and baby blue pinstripes. Full naked. As for my goal for this build it's going after a naked Mille setup. Clip-ons and such. Will be modifying a Mille gas tank to better accent a Ducati 848 tail. Keeping the SSSA and going to eventually try to make a new rear hub to accept the newer Ducati wheels. Custom exhaust to keep it an under tail as well with some serious engine upgrades.
    Thanks,
    Wyatt Ginapp

apriliaforum Member
    The first cross brace on the sub frame will need to be cut out. The mille tank and ducati tailsection will look good together, I would use a 04 gas tank the lines will match up better with the Duc tail. The bigger problem which isnt much of a problem is the seat. Using the Duc seat will not match the tank and using the mille seat wont match the tail. I would use the Ducati seat and have the foam reshaped and then have the seat recovered. Or if you want to get more crazy I have 2 spare 848 tanks in my garage.

apriliaforum Member
    I also used the 848 cans on my Futura(cored) they sound great and it was a super cheap mod

apriliaforum Junkie

Futura Custom Build

You got my attention!
    I love Aprilia builds!!
    I put Rc45 SSSarm on mine and jester seat unit. Lots of fun and satisfaction to to mods on your bike!
    Keep it coming!
    ApriliaPista
    Mille Tech

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I will be modifying a Ducati seat tray along with the 848 tank fairings to make the tank appear smaller than it actually is. I have never been a fan of the 2000.5+ Mille tanks. They just look like a huge hump. The early ones though had a fairing on the sides which gave the illusion that it was much smaller. The upper portion of the tank will be modified and probably have the edges sharpened as well to be more pronounced along with the sides clearanced for the fairings. To cleanly run the high skinny 848 sub-frame though I may end up running an external fuel pump as well. Another fun task is going to be finding room in that tail section for the huge ECM and power commander. All the electronics are being switched over to Mille/Tuono.
    Thanks,
    Wyatt Ginapp

You can ditch the power commander and use tuneecu instead.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC 320mm brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch.
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

Wyatt, are you using Futura ECU? I'm guessing you would have to for compatibility with dash electronics? If so absolutely follow deefred advice about TuneEcu.
    01 Blue #84, 11/12 with: HeliBars, foam grips, 05 map, Borla cans (Replaced by 2" pipe)/stock silencer, derestricted, metal QD, dash socket, wiring mod. Me: Ford relay +10awg & grd, fuel pump rewire, FPR, vac hoses. Evap gone, CBR coils/harness+ Magnecor, clutch switch bypass. S.S. clutch & front line, RaceTech Gold fork, Cogent rebuilt Sachs, tapered head bearings. Added LED run lights/indicators/brake. All signals also run lights. All lights but Hi/park/brake on dash switch. Hi beam mod, vest plug, wiring block, blue dash SMD's/Red V meter, Tune IFT, PCIII gone. Stripped/polished rims, vented screen, rear petal disc. FH008 soldered DC plug/added grd/hard soldered AC. L/R dash indicator lights, RG frame/fork sliders, vented screen.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    No every single piece of electronics is Tuono/Millle. I will have to find out what I need yet for the speed sensor but otherwise i have the gauges already along with ECU and complete wiring harness. I'll also be using Mille heads and have the new 57mm throttles sitting in a box. I wish the Tuono/Mille ECU was the size of the Futuras though, it would make it much easier to conceal.
    Thanks,
    Wyatt Ginapp

Good luck with your build.
    It will be a tough job just to make it run.
    Think the pulses for the crankshaft is different compared to the mille so another flywheel may be in order.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC 320mm brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch.
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

apriliaforum Member
    The Mille ecu box has a ton of wasted room you can make a smaller housing. Hopefully you will also use the 848 battery, its much smaller as well.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by j.seims View Post
    The Mille ecu box has a ton of wasted room you can make a smaller housing. Hopefully you will also use the 848 battery, its much smaller as well.
    The Mille ECU has open room inside? I've never had mine apart but it can have a smaller housing made for it?
    Thanks,
    Wyatt Ginapp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast