Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with mapping.

In New South Wales the two are pretty much interchangeable........
    Professional Goat Burster.

Quote Originally Posted by pete roper View Post
    In New South Wales the two are pretty much interchangeable........
    I'm glad you said what I was thinking.
    #1 Forum Magic Missile Caster

"I rode a Griso at when I used to work for Aprilia City in Melbourne. Probably the nicest bike ever" - Cosaro

1972 Laverda SF 750
    2007 Moto Guzzi Griso 1100
    2003 Moto Guzzi California Titanium 1100 - for sale

apriliaforum newb
    I like it here!

apriliaforum Member
    I have arrived at this thread rather late ,but it was worth the wait and as usual i have had a good laugh .oh how people get so upset and stroppy Pete just keep saying it how it is m8 . Oh and just to add my bit after many years using pc type devices on various machines and thrashing them to death day in day out, i have had no problems with setting them via seat of the pants ride experience ,and i have found especially on v twins the OE ecu maps tend to be richer at the top anyway but even with pc fitted its never caused excessive over fuelling unless i have cocked up .case in point is the mana motor which i have fitted a evo tec fueler to set by seat of pants ,then dyno`d well ,results were great but due to the standard map ecu you are really limited to overall adjustment ,so a compromise was set yes its a bit rich up the top but on a plug chop the plugs are spot on ,i take it that when i have to strip the motor in 10 years time due to my over rich running and all that extra fuel in my oil i will have a very nice and clean motor internally to work on ,great bonus lol .

I am not sure if everyone knows how GuzziDiag works.

GuzziDiag is a simple diagnose tool and does nothing change in ECU, it only shows data from the different sensors.
    The only thing you can change with it is reset TPS and it lets you change enrichment of fueling by + and - .

Other thing is IAW5reader, which lets you dump the ECU-map of a IAW5 ECU to your PC. Thats it.

With an external program like e.g. TunerPro you can change the MAP, by hand.
    The only simple thing is changing Lamda setting by clicking ON or OFF in some checkboxes.

such a changed map can be loaded back to ECU with IAW5writer.

So, the simplest thing you can do is switching off Lambda this way without changing anything else in your mapping and you will get a big improve in drivability.
    Every other change of MAP imho needs a lot of expierience what to do and you can damage your motor in seconds by simply wirting back a bad changed map.

All 3 programs, GuzziDiag, IAW5reader and IAW5writer are from the same german guy who developed the programs by himself with help from some other guy from german Guzzi forum.
    So, you do not need GuzziDiag alone, except you just want diagnose. Changing ECU needs reader and writer and e.g. TunerPro, which can handle the dumped mappingfiles.
    All programs are for free, at time.

PS: this works with all Guzzi IAW5 ECUS, not only Griso. it works with Norge, Sport, Stelvio .... maybe it also works with IAW5 Ecus of other vendors, as Ducatidiag also worked on Guzzi and MotoMorini and not only on Ducatis. It mostly depends on the ECU number, even different vendors differ a little in programming their ECUs, so maybe slight changes in SW have to be done to work with other than GUzzi IAW5 ECUs also.
    But, I am quite sure that GuzziDiag lets you diagnose most other IAW5 ECU bikes also.
    Last edited by ferdi; 12-02-2013 at 12:06 PM.
    Regards,
    Ferdi

Ducati Hyperstrada 939 & Moto Morini Corsaro 1200 & Aprilia RSV1000 Factory

my site

Since the topic title just covers this I post it here. In the end it doesn't matter how you do it, but what the results are.

If the map makes a fine running bike, that could be it. But next is trying to make the bike a bit more fuel efficient. Without losing the good running.
    There are different operating modos, steady speed or accelerating. The steady one is were I spend a lot, and most fuel will get used, so first I wanted to know where this is in the map. So I did some test rides with constant speed 3000, 4000, 4500 5000. Now in the log It's easy to see what tps value belongs to that.

Here in the number of point the range gets clear, draw a line though the high numbers, yellow/orange is where it is.

Here a 3d display of the fuelmap.

Now the same but combined with the number of points map, as can be seen all at the bttom of the map.

Here the map with in color the number of points, this shows where to adjust manualy of automaticaly the values. The yellow/orange are the high numbers

Here the map with target lambda values choosen from the lesson above. 0.97 where it is steady and can be lean, 0.9 for the rest. And then a testride again.

After the testride, green is where lambda is 0.9-1.0 thats ok. Yellow is to rich. The colors in the map are the lambdavalues. The black thin line is where you are at constant speeds. As can be seen I hit the 8000rpm in 6th. The red part has no data that is where you normally don't drive.

Another one form lambda measured in the important part all green. And pretty stable.

This sort of tuning is what you don't get at a dyno. They try wide open throttle, that are different places in the map.

this thread doesn't sound like "fun with mapping"...
    2014 California 1400 Touring ABS in White
    Eldorado w/Automatic Trans circa 1972 in Black
    Looking for California 1400 only discussions:
    guzzicalifornia.forumcircle.com

Quote Originally Posted by mtiberio View Post
    this thread doesn't sound like "fun with mapping"...
    mapping is absolutely not funny.
    i'm doing it from almost 10 years now, and the sleepless night are many many...
    not funny, but plenty of satisfaction
    Aprilia bikes ECU tuning and reflashes since 2004!
    --
    Please like and Follow the #gabroracingteam socials!
    FB: https://www.facebook.com/gabroracingteam
    IG: https://www.instagram.com/gabroracingteam
    YT: https://www.youtube.com/GabroRacingTeam-GRT

Fun? Define fun? I'm learning a shitload. To me that's fun.

Obviously my observations about PCV/AT make me dumber than dogshit. I'm OK with that. I'm just not into exclusivity and big-noting myself as something 'Special'.

Subject closed. We'll be having fun but.....

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by pete roper View Post
    Fun? Define fun? I'm learning a shitload. To me that's fun.
    that's becouse you'r using XDF made by someoneelse for make the job easier for you.

now image to start from an 800k binary file and and a blank xdf in tunerpro. now you can have all the fun you want
    Aprilia bikes ECU tuning and reflashes since 2004!
    --
    Please like and Follow the #gabroracingteam socials!
    FB: https://www.facebook.com/gabroracingteam
    IG: https://www.instagram.com/gabroracingteam
    YT: https://www.youtube.com/GabroRacingTeam-GRT

Yup, I'm really lucky in that I have people who are willing to help me learn. I hadn't realized that accepting help and advice was a sin. Silly me!

Pete

I've spend hours and hours starring at bin files to search maps, and once things are clear and another map is found, it is fun.

apriliaforum newb
    Wow - maybe I'm getting a bit old, or just spent too much time with my ECU-free 850GT, but this thread is baking my noodle. Can someone give me some simple advice on what I need to do to optimise mapping on my Agostini equipped Cali 1400? The dudes at Eurocycles didn't even have the diagnostic software when I booked the bike in to check out the flashing ABS light, so I'm not expecting technological leadership from them... cheers, Greg

I know first dealers that wanted to sell them here had to do the technical training. And they are dealer and don't have the diagnostic equipment? I suppose the dash might give out some more error info that make it easier to know where to look. But I understand new bike, then the dealer should solve it. If you have an error code, I can lookup it for you.
    We are developing diagnostics for the cali 1400, and can see a lot already, but the ABS unit needs seperate diagnostics form the ecu, since it has it's own ecu.

apriliaforum newb
    Hi Paul - the ABS light was due to the sensor being out of position. Easy fix fortunately. cheers, Greg

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast