Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about how much a 2001 Derbi GPR 50 is worth.

apriliaforum newb

Question about how much a 2001 Derbi GPR 50 is worth.

Hello all, greetings from the USA. I recently got into the world of motorcycles and purchased a BMW S1000RR as my first bike (got it at a good deal). Now i'd have to be pretty stupid to be using that as a bike to learn on. So I searched for a starter bike to learn on in the mean time. The other day, I ran into someone selling a 2001 Derbi GPR 50 motorcycle with 3000 miles on it and it sounded like the perfect idea to buy it... until I found out the price he was asking for it. He wants $2750 USD for the bike... I thought that price was absurd since I see 2011 GPR 50s going for the same price or cheaper in Europe. When I asked him about lowering the price, he said no way because the bike is RARE in the USA. Is this person full of it or is their any truth in what he is saying, and what do you guys figure it is worth. In the UK the bike that he is selling I could purchase for 800USD, however the cost to import it would be too high. I mentioned that to him and he responded by saying his cost factors in the cost of what it would take someone to import this bike from Europe. However, I do not think that is fair as the bike is not some sort of collectors item over there OR over here. Anyway, just wondering what you guys think and what you believe the bike is worth. He claims the bike is in excellent running condition and looks great.

apriliaforum expert
    You lucky dog, you got the bike I've been lusting over since the test ride 3 years ago. The S1000rr is a beautiful machine and arguably the best first for BMW.

As far as that price on that Derbi, he's crazy. They are rare but not valuable currently. Derbi has been pulled from the USA since 2005 so they and parts are very hard to find. You'd need to get anything you need for it shipped from EU and that will get expensive.

I was in the search for a GPR a few months ago and there are other to be had for a much better price with lower miles as well. This is what NADA says the market value is. http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycle...PR-49cc/Values Obviously a buyer and seller can come up with a agreement from there based on condition and what not.

Now why a Derbi? Why not a Ninja 250, 300, 500 cbr250 or something thats more motorcycle then a over grown scooter with a gear box? Don't get me wrong GPRs are cool. But for a learner to prep you for a S1000rr? No way man. A GPR is to under powered and hardly shares any operation similarities as a liter bike. If you happened to take a spill and some things break, the parts availability issue will hit hard. Then you'll have a piece of wrecked art to look at insted of a bike you can fix with parts that are dime a dozon like the ninja.

But after all is said and done its up to you. Do what speaks to you and enjoy it or call yourself crazy and laugh if it fails.

Take this with a grain of salt. It's only my opinion.
    Last edited by FuTuring; 11-12-2013 at 02:20 PM.

There are two Derbi GPRs in California for $1500.00 or less.

apriliaforum newb
    Yes the S1000RR is beautiful. The reason I wanted a Derbi was because I was only wanting to pay around 1000 dollars for the bike..After seeing how cheap they sell in Europe, and then seeing that price was a shocker. I guess the guy is just crazy. I wish people didn't have such unrealistic expectations on what their possessions are worth. And yes, I have seen cheap derbis on the West Cost, but I'm on the East Coast. Thanks for the confirmation guys, I knew this guy was just asking way too much. It's one of the situations where I'm willing to pay what the bike is worth, but the seller just too stubborn to see reason. Makes no sense. Funny thing is he's been trying to sell it for a year, when will people learn that their price is the problem. lol

Are you serious? Starter buying a S thou as your first bike I'm lol'in, but to then think a 50cc bike is the ideal bike to learn on till you ride the S thou is the joke of the month!

A 600 would be the best bike to ride before climbing aboard the S1000!

RSV4R APRC 13'
    AR GP2 V3 - Race ECU - Bazzaz FI - BMC Filter - Andreani Piston Kit - K-Tech Springs - Nitron Race - Gold OZ Piega R Wheels
    BMW M3 04'

apriliaforum newb
    I guess it is funny if you look at it that way, but you have got to figure I am not experienced on a bike. I may even get a bike in between the debi before I hop on the S1000...I look at it that I have to start from the bottom, and I figured this bike is cheap enough to use, and slow enough not to get hurt on. If I have to wait 2-3 years to get on the S1000 and switch to a SV600 in a year, I'll do it. Everyone has their different levels of comfort. I mentioned I got a REALLY good deal on the bike so to better explain the situation, kind of one of those too good to be true deals. So I figured why kick myself down the road, when I eventually get to that level.

Well a 50 I wouldn't recommend as your more a hazard on the road than anything else, you need some certain degree of power to get out circumstances, i.e junctions, cross roads etc etc. And by the time the Derbi would get up to 60/65mph it would go bang, I know from experience as I had one when I was 16 (the law over here). An Aprilia RS125 would be more ideal, but I do believe you Californian's banned the RS125 down to emissions?

RSV4R APRC 13'
    AR GP2 V3 - Race ECU - Bazzaz FI - BMC Filter - Andreani Piston Kit - K-Tech Springs - Nitron Race - Gold OZ Piega R Wheels
    BMW M3 04'

apriliaforum expert craigo298er's Avatar
    buy a Grom...not too much money (if you can find one), they are a LOT of fun, and you won't kill yourself with stupid speed or anything. $3000 new
    7H3 M345UR3 0F 1N73LL163NC3 15 7H3 481L17Y 70 CH4N63
    4L83R7 31N5731N

get a ninja 250. you can find them to fit any budget (first or 2nd gen).

2 strokes below 50cc are allowed in CA.
    Alan
    2011 KTM RC8R
    2012 BMW S1000RR (engine #2)
    2013 KTM SMT 990

Have you ever ridden a 50cc on the street? I did in down town Los Angeles.. It was scary!! If I was in some small town with no traffic that would be one thing.

And no way your going to find a RS125 that's titled in CA for any sane price.

I'd vote for a well sorted Yamaha FZR400 or better yet a Honda CB1 if your riding around traffic. 400s rock.
    94 RVF400, 11 RSV4F, Scarabeo 200... Aprilia,,, Good Technology

apriliaforum newb
    Yes I have. I have actually ridden a Derbi GPR 50CC before..it is a surprisingly quick and agile bike. It goes 0-60 in 8 seconds. I figured that was quick enough for me if I could score it for 1200-1500 or so..It is so cheap to insure..only 60 dollars a year.

The Derbi is cool for rural riding, but I wouldn't go any smaller that a 250. Good luck finding a decent FZR400. You really need to have enough power to get out of your own and others' way. Ninja 250s are cheap, light and cheap to insure as well. I am looking for one for myself currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawasaki View Post
    Yes I have. I have actually ridden a Derbi GPR 50CC before..it is a surprisingly quick and agile bike. It goes 0-60 in 8 seconds. I figured that was quick enough for me if I could score it for 1200-1500 or so..It is so cheap to insure..only 60 dollars a year.
    Well it seems like you know what your talking about with all your experience.

They aren't legal freeway legal btw but hell go ahead do whatever you want. I don't give a shit.

Racing SERVICE Competition Steve / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    That price sounds mildly ridiculous to me. The '01 Derbi GPR is really a re-badged Cagiva Prima 50. I own an '03 Derbi with '01 bodywork (it was ironically cheaper than the stock '03 plastics would have been). Unless it has fewer than 500 miles on it (which would allow it to still qualify as new, to some collectors), I don't see how you'd be expected to pay more than $2,000 to $2500, tops. They just aren't that valuable. That price ($2750) is what they sold for brand new, so the bike would have to be in that condition to merit that.

I think, if you can pin yourself to a 10 mile radius, AND have to get on zero freeways or high speed roads, a 50cc can work reasonably well. I've owned 3 RS50s (I have a thing for small bikes), and despite all manner of tricking them out (big bore kits, exhausts, clutches, gearing, intake, carburetion, et cetera), I've never found them to do much good out side of those two restrictions.

For trackdays on tight tracks (1.8 miles or less) a fully kitted 50, with good tires (full race slicks from a Honda RS125) can be great fun, but as other posters have said, you can land an EX 250 for the same money (probably quite a bit less actually; fully kitting a GPR usually costs $1200 - $1500) and have something that will not take a hit in value when you sell it.

That being said, I can't ever see myself opening my wallet for an EX250, but I can, and probably will, eventually buy another 50cc gearchange moped (RS50, Dream 50, GPR 50). There's just something about oddball bikes that I find so darn attractive.

P.S. My motorcycle education started with an '03 RS50, which I incrementally kitted, and rode for 9 months. Then I bought my first full sized bike, an '00.5 Mille. Never crashed it, so that method of progression worked for me, though I'm sure there were other ways that would have worked just as well, maybe even better.
    AF1 Racing, inc / ApriliaForum.com
    9900 North Interstate 35
    Austin, Texas 78753
    direct:512-459-3966 fax:512-482-8319

Currently:
    '97 RS125 Two Stroke

Previously:
    '00.5 Mille & '97 RS250.

Quote Originally Posted by Banned View Post
    The Derbi is cool for rural riding, but I wouldn't go any smaller that a 250. Good luck finding a decent FZR400. You really need to have enough power to get out of your own and others' way. Ninja 250s are cheap, light and cheap to insure as well. I am looking for one for myself currently.
    There used to be a bunch of FZR400's on CL but I don't see any right now. There are however a few NC30's for sale out there

At least around where I live (and you live close to me too banned), having a little more power has really saved my ass several times but keep in mind I live in an area with the worst traffic in America. A 250 is what I started on (KLX250s).. The upright position really makes it easy to see what's happening around you, and the MSF recommends starting on a standard bike like the Ninja 250 with an upright seating position. That being said there's lots of guys that start out on 1198's, S1kRRs, GSXR750's and survive just fine.

I also weigh 205lbs and found the RS50 slow and difficult to merge with all the traffic. Lots of shifting to get up to speed. Maybe the carbs needed cleaning?? It was fun as hell but I kept thinking how much better an RS125cc would be. BTW I was at a race earlier this year and during one of them at Big Willow where a Honda RS125 nearly lapped the 2 Ninja 250s twice! Then its engine blew up

Hey that RS50 I rode did have over 20,000 Los Angeles miles so as Steve said I guess it can work, although that one was crashed multiple times, and Steve probably didn't have the heavy traffic and copious amounts of shitty drivers we do here,,, he probably isn't as heavy as me either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast