Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Next Futura?

I've seen though not ridden the VFR 1200 and while a bit funky looking it sounds smooth as silk and I think the guy got a great deal in his too. That the number of living Futs in the world is maybe a couple thousand (who knows?) and in the hundreds (again- ??) in the U.S. parts buyers are a pretty captive audience. It just seems sad they're worth more apart than as the whole great bike they are but it is what it is.
    I'm surprised at the assessment of the MV headlight as a candle, I'd have thought they'd have done a better job. Hopefully the Veloce, particularly given it's mission, will be better. I have to say I'm very happy with the Fut lighting particularly after the re-wire.
    I'll take a pass on building a paper/plastic bike! LOL. The cover over the headlight obviously acts like a selective neutral density filter.
    01 Blue #84, 11/12 with: HeliBars, foam grips, 05 map, Borla cans (Replaced by 2" pipe)/stock silencer, derestricted, metal QD, dash socket, wiring mod. Me: Ford relay +10awg & grd, fuel pump rewire, FPR, vac hoses. Evap gone, CBR coils/harness+ Magnecor, clutch switch bypass. S.S. clutch & front line, RaceTech Gold fork, Cogent rebuilt Sachs, tapered head bearings. Added LED run lights/indicators/brake. All signals also run lights. All lights but Hi/park/brake on dash switch. Hi beam mod, vest plug, wiring block, blue dash SMD's/Red V meter, Tune IFT, PCIII gone. Stripped/polished rims, vented screen, rear petal disc. FH008 soldered DC plug/added grd/hard soldered AC. L/R dash indicator lights, RG frame/fork sliders, vented screen.

The only VFR12 I've ever seen was at the bike show 3 years ago when it was 1st introduced. The paint job was indeed superior to pretty much anything you can think of OE. So with no demand for them, they are a steal these days. It's way more bike than I have need for, so no real interest from me.

With LED lighting being so very bright in general, I think I'll just wait for the actual bike and reviews before making judgement on this issue. Some of the picts make it look like a ring around the perimeter of the "lens" lights up. Let's face it, very few motorcycles are very visible from the side.

Of course the first thing I ruined was the paint job. Ah well. Bought it to ride, not to polish.

And they're not even worth stealing. I cancelled my theft insurance as soon as I found that out. Nobody wants them so that saves me a cool 400 a year and I can park it in the roughest of neighborhoods.

RAS, what are the chances I'll ride one before you read a USA-based test?
    This Must Be The Place

Quote Originally Posted by Befbever View Post

RAS, what are the chances I'll ride one before you read a USA-based test?
    Well, considering we haven't seen the new Capo yet and you've already had one to play with for over a week, I'd say that chance would be 100%.

I'd say it won't be that easy this time but it might. You can ask for a test online (Rivale 800 now) and the nearest one is 15 minutes away, in fact I was behind his van yesterday. Cool logo!
    This Must Be The Place

I'd say it won't be that easy this time but it might. You can ask for a test online (Rivale 800 now) and the nearest one is 15 minutes away, in fact I was behind his van yesterday. Cool logo!
    I think I'd have to forgo the earplugs on a test ride of any of those 800 triples.

So, that headlight. This might just be different from any we've seen on a motorcycle before. Also looks like LEDS in the turn signals are on always

Now, if only that 34" seat height is measured with the bike on that cool rear stand

Always on signals are a good thing. Is it possible the LED is a "halo" and not the actual headlight or is that just wishful thinking? The mirror lights look brighter.
    01 Blue #84, 11/12 with: HeliBars, foam grips, 05 map, Borla cans (Replaced by 2" pipe)/stock silencer, derestricted, metal QD, dash socket, wiring mod. Me: Ford relay +10awg & grd, fuel pump rewire, FPR, vac hoses. Evap gone, CBR coils/harness+ Magnecor, clutch switch bypass. S.S. clutch & front line, RaceTech Gold fork, Cogent rebuilt Sachs, tapered head bearings. Added LED run lights/indicators/brake. All signals also run lights. All lights but Hi/park/brake on dash switch. Hi beam mod, vest plug, wiring block, blue dash SMD's/Red V meter, Tune IFT, PCIII gone. Stripped/polished rims, vented screen, rear petal disc. FH008 soldered DC plug/added grd/hard soldered AC. L/R dash indicator lights, RG frame/fork sliders, vented screen.

apriliaforum expert Robert Borchert's Avatar
    In the above photo, there are a few notable things. Looks like the headlight is off, and the halo is on. Also have a look at the line below the windscreen. Is that a lighted strip? Things are looking better. ..

Bob

Gee RAS, where on earth die you find that picture?

If you zoom in on the hand guards, they have a whole lot of LEDs in them that aren't lit. That will be the indicators so you can use those as running lights and the LEDS you see lit are always on, just like on my Honda so way cool.

Robert, yes could be a strip there. Hard to tell.

The halo is probably like what recent cars (Audi springs to mind) are using to keep lights on during the daytime. Stupid rule but more light is always good for bikes. You can spot a few unlit LEDs in the headlight itself so looking good!

I agree more headlight surface would have been better but I'm liking what they offered as alternative.
    This Must Be The Place

apriliaforum expert Powerful Pierre's Avatar
    My KTM has the halo LED's around the headlight, they call it DRL (daytime running light)......it comes on automatically instead of the headlight for normal daytime running, the dipped headlight will only come on when light conditions become poor, in response to a sensor. OK in theory but in practice its pants!
    First off the DRL seems to mesmerise oncoming drivers and they have a tendency to steer where they are looking....not fun when they're at the wheel of an 18 wheeler! Then the light sensitive headlight.....when the light level is at a transition point it keeps going on & off on its own which distracts/annoys drivers that you are approaching or following or worse still might give someone the idea that you're flashing to let them in, say across your path......

Fortunately you can disable it and have the dipped headlight on from startup, the halo is still on so there's plenty of frontal visibility but the setup seems to appear more normal to oncoming drivers so the risk of a head on has reduced!

Most of the tech on the bike is logical and useful, other than saving battery power this is neither....

PP, the Prius has the same 'automatically controlled' headlight but yes it's pants and luckily it can be operated in the old-fashioned way.
    It's all great in theory but words like Citroen and Rain Sensor don't go well together. Not on the early C3 anyway. Works well on the Prius though.

Bob, no that's not a LED strip there. Can't find any pics with the headlight on so the halo will probably always be there. Hm...until we see it up close, no way to judge I guess.

PP, how do you know if the KTM headlight is on/off during daylight riding? You guys probably get as much sun as we do (ie none) but still...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-MV-Agusta-Turismo-Veloce-800-headlight.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	236999
    This Must Be The Place

apriliaforum expert Powerful Pierre's Avatar
    PP, how do you know if the KTM headlight is on/off during daylight riding? You guys probably get as much sun as we do (ie none) but still...
    If you're behind another vehicle you can see it reflected off the back, that + the glare of the agitated driver in his rear view mirror when its in DRL on/off mode.....it also reflects a little around the bottom edge of the screen so you can tell its on.....useful if the bulb blows I guess

Is that a running light halo on the MV or just a silver trim?

It might be at the NEC show next week, will have a good look if it is......

Quote Originally Posted by Powerful Pierre View Post
    Is that a running light halo on the MV or just a silver trim?

Good question. Lots of nice picts here http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bike...oce-800-photos including this one from straight on where it's not glowing

Overall, I think this thing is pretty darn cool. Some stylistic things like the rear of the bags could have been more function over form imo. I guess that rear fender thing holding the license plate and LEDs is functional, but not exactly up to the rest of stylish nature - oh well. nuthin's gonna be perfect.

One big caveat - Even with what looks like a paper thin seat (and MVs seem to have a reputation for board-hard saddles), the spec sheet says it's 34" high. The bike's relatively light and narrow, that'll help. But 34" seat heights usually just leave me looking, not touching.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast