Shorai Battery
    Metal Fuel Quick Disconnect
    Powerlet Socket
    Brown Connector Eliminated
    Trottlemeister Bar Ends
    more to follow...

apriliaforum expert thesprocket26's Avatar
    Truth!

They're unobtrusive, basically unbreakable and inexpensive (free). The idea was spawned after a 90 mile trip in heavy rain and 45* last year w/o rain gear. My bad. And far easier than trying to adapt "normal" shields and brackets. We now return to our regularly scheduled thread...I'm taken by the MV's in general.
    01 Blue #84, 11/12 with: HeliBars, foam grips, 05 map, Borla cans (Replaced by 2" pipe)/stock silencer, derestricted, metal QD, dash socket, wiring mod. Me: Ford relay +10awg & grd, fuel pump rewire, FPR, vac hoses. Evap gone, CBR coils/harness+ Magnecor, clutch switch bypass. S.S. clutch & front line, RaceTech Gold fork, Cogent rebuilt Sachs, tapered head bearings. Added LED run lights/indicators/brake. All signals also run lights. All lights but Hi/park/brake on dash switch. Hi beam mod, vest plug, wiring block, blue dash SMD's/Red V meter, Tune IFT, PCIII gone. Stripped/polished rims, vented screen, rear petal disc. FH008 soldered DC plug/added grd/hard soldered AC. L/R dash indicator lights, RG frame/fork sliders, vented screen.

I gotta ask: what would you change on the Veloce and more importantly, how would you do it? Considering the 'unique' way you did the hand guards?
    This Must Be The Place

I've not seen this live of course, but the MV's I've witnessed are just impressive with the design details and execution. So, larger pillion seat for one. I like that there are LED's at the edge of the hand guards, much better for being seen- note pic of Fut antlers @ night. More rider protection from wind etc in fairing area maybe, but I'm using Fut as the baseline, so...Again, I just like their edgier designs and details. I recently wired the high and low beams to be on together when high are on (after this pic taken), harder to miss and better view at night. Veloce appears to me to be more Sport than Touring but a sweet looking package and the sound must be fantastic.
    Name:  DSC00255 - Copy (2).JPG
Views: 127
Size:  43.4 KB
    Since you asked.
    01 Blue #84, 11/12 with: HeliBars, foam grips, 05 map, Borla cans (Replaced by 2" pipe)/stock silencer, derestricted, metal QD, dash socket, wiring mod. Me: Ford relay +10awg & grd, fuel pump rewire, FPR, vac hoses. Evap gone, CBR coils/harness+ Magnecor, clutch switch bypass. S.S. clutch & front line, RaceTech Gold fork, Cogent rebuilt Sachs, tapered head bearings. Added LED run lights/indicators/brake. All signals also run lights. All lights but Hi/park/brake on dash switch. Hi beam mod, vest plug, wiring block, blue dash SMD's/Red V meter, Tune IFT, PCIII gone. Stripped/polished rims, vented screen, rear petal disc. FH008 soldered DC plug/added grd/hard soldered AC. L/R dash indicator lights, RG frame/fork sliders, vented screen.

Thanks! Hand guards can be very effective, as you know. I never even put my heated gloves thermostat on my Tiger 1050, never needed them. And on that bike, the winter higher/wider screen offered more protection than the Futura.

Sure would like to know why I can't make a pic like that of my headlight. Always seems to be over-exposed. Any tips?
    This Must Be The Place

Quote Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
    Years ago when looking for a replacement from my R1100RS, BMW came out with the R1200ST. It failed pretty miserably in the marketplace because of the front styling:.
    The difference is that the entire front end of the R1200ST was hideous. Even worse in person then in photos which you wouldn't think possible. The only offending element on the otherwise voluptuous MV is that small headlight. I could live with that but if they changed the headlight the bike would be close to perfection. My wife rides her own bike so the only thing that will sit on that rear seat is my dry bag.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

apriliaforum expert bikerdennis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Befbever View Post
    I gotta ask: what would you change on the Veloce and more importantly, how would you do it? Considering the 'unique' way you did the hand guards?
    Price.
    '02 Futura, Ash Grey(Original Owner)
    Custom Corbin Seat
    PCIII USB
    Famsa Tank Bag
    BagsForBikes Pannier Liners
    K&N Air Filter
    Rick's Hot Shot Rectifier
    Shorai Battery
    Powerlet Socket
    Trottlemeister Bar Ends
    more to follow...

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdennis View Post
    Price.
    Not known yet.

The base model 800 Brutale is $12k. This is basically the same bike with bags and extra plastic. So, do the added bags and plastic add up to another $2K? Add a solid $2k for the active suspension and in-dash GPS on the Lusso model.

Gotta pay to play these days. Want looks and exclusivity to go with? Bring money.

As for the headlight, as long as the pattern lights up the road well (My old BMW airhead, R-bike headlights were just about perfect in this respect) and not the trees and parked cars to the side the way the Futura's headlight works, I'd have few issues with how it looks that I couldn't get over. .

Not gonna matter, prolly never even see one in person. Not moving to Philadelphia just to be reasonably close to a dealer.

"Sure would like to know why I can't make a pic like that of my headlight. Always seems to be over-exposed. Any tips?"

Bef, I cut sheets of paper towel shaped to fit over low beam section and taped it on, it reflected slightly into the high beam reflectors I think too- a nice effect. Way easier than adding a dimmer for a few pics.

Yes, the price could use a downward shift in a perfect world, but in this one that level of detail is going to cost. Look at what the Futura cost at intro, $12K. BTW, did they come with the bags as standard or was it an option? I think I've read they were an option? I should already know that...

Quote Originally Posted by Argh Oh View Post

Yes, the price could use a downward shift in a perfect world, but in this one that level of detail is going to cost. Look at what the Futura cost at intro, $12K. BTW, did they come with the bags as standard or was it an option? I think I've read they were an option? I should already know that...
    Actually, the Futura was $13k list price back then. I paid something like $11k (not really sure as there was some creative math done with my trade-in) It was a one year old dealer demo bike w/700 miles on the clock in 2003. I think that's why mine runs so well. It was thrashed as a youngster.

The bags were OE, but, iir, there were lots of guys in the UK didn't get the bags with the bike for some reason.

Considering the Fut's sticker shock back in the early 2000s as well as the K1100RS that I traded for the Fut., if that Veloce 800 comes in at $14K, that would not at all be outrageous imo. And btw, that K-bike had a whopping sticker price of $16.6k back in '96! I paid $12 for it in 2007.

Thanks RAS. Given your info, the Veloce full up even @ $16K (guessing) isn't necessarily that out of whack, not that I could ever get one. After getting re-bitten by the motorcycle bug and then finding out about the Fut the only reason I could get a bike was the good news/bad news abysmal resale value of Fut's. There is not much at all available for that price and nothing remotely close to what the Fut offers and it totally spoiled me while searching. I am thrilled still to have found a good one, even with higher mileage.

apriliaforum expert bikerdennis's Avatar
    I'm betting the veloce fully loaded is going to be more like $20K. If it's under $16K it may be my next bike.
    '02 Futura, Ash Grey(Original Owner)
    Custom Corbin Seat
    PCIII USB
    Famsa Tank Bag
    BagsForBikes Pannier Liners
    K&N Air Filter
    Rick's Hot Shot Rectifier
    Shorai Battery
    Powerlet Socket
    Trottlemeister Bar Ends
    more to follow...

apriliaforum expert Robert Borchert's Avatar
    If you look really close at the published front view of the MV, that odd cyclops has an LED logo to the side. My guess is that illumination should be decent, but just how visible you may be will require a live subject.

If the F3 and F4 are comparable, the Veloce will be one sexy bitch in person, for sure.

Bob

Bef, I cut sheets of paper towel shaped to fit over low beam section and taped it on, it reflected slightly into the high beam reflectors I think too- a nice effect. Way easier than adding a dimmer for a few pics.
    Thanks! I bet with a few paper towels and some clear plastic you could soon build a bike!

In Europe, the first year the Futura was sans bags. The second year, when I bought mine, bags were free. That you had to wait more than 6 months (until after summer) for just the bags was typical of that time.

The F3 800 is 14k euro here, the Brutale 675 9k. The Brutale has less whistles and bells but beats the F3 every time in tight twisties. The F3 also has a halogen headlight which is little more than a candle, the Veloce is pure LED but agreed, visibility won't be all that great.
    If the Veloce comes in at 14k then the Lusso would be 16k easily but you get one heck of a bike for that. I'm just guessing here of course.
    But to compare to another bike you guys don't have , the Aprilia Capo 1200 with ADD and bags is 15k euro.

The only snag here is if they will sell one that's 100 hp. Anything above that is ridiculously taxed.
    Wouldn't mind the F3's engine and power in the Veloce to be perfectly honest.

Oh and if you're looking for a Futura alternative at a ridiculous price, there are still NEW 2010 VfR1200's to be found in the US, $10k last I saw. There's a guy trying to sell his' at $8k and NOTHING. That's a quote.
    Great bike, way overpriced and dealerships and accessories are much harder to find than Triumphs to name but one.

I'm not kidding when I say that in 3 years of ownership, I've never seen one in this country other than mine. I saw more Futuras when I had mine.
    When I sold my Futura in parts, I got way more than I ever could as a whole bike. I never charged crazy prices and got 3k euro with the engine and chassis still here in the garden shed.
    Last edited by Befbever; 11-19-2013 at 03:41 AM.
    This Must Be The Place

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast