Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Futura?

apriliaforum expert bikerdennis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Borchert View Post
    ........, but I'm going to stay with a simple look, rather than a "stitch festival".

Bob
    Hey, are you talkin' smack about my seat?
    '02 Futura, Ash Grey(Original Owner)
    Custom Corbin Seat
    PCIII USB
    Famsa Tank Bag
    BagsForBikes Pannier Liners
    K&N Air Filter
    Rick's Hot Shot Rectifier
    Shorai Battery
    Metal Fuel Quick Disconnect
    Powerlet Socket
    Brown Connector Eliminated
    Trottlemeister Bar Ends
    more to follow...

Quote Originally Posted by rdbandkab View Post
    *got me thinking......I'll have to see where there is an MV dealer around here. Rick??? We have any???
    There's a guy not too far from me that would be a good dealer for MV... At one time he was a factory Ducati tech and seems to know a few things for keeping high-strung bikes running.
    I think the closest is Eurosports, just SE of Allentown PA. Probably 5-ish hours for me, more for you. The next closest is Fast by Ferraci in Philly. That alone shouldn't be a deal breaker as long as the thing behaves and there's access to maintenance stuff the way we have here. Of course, that makes anything under warranty a real big pita.

Maybe European BMW/Ducati in the North Hills will decide to take on another brand now that they dumped Triumph.

I feel your pain Bob... Sometimes, bikes simply are not visible. This was the result of a left turning cage in front of my son and his friend this past January. She (old retired woman) was simply turning into her driveway and gave them no avenue of escape. My son almost cleared the rear of the car, but she stopped full when she saw them and he clipped the back. Note her car fully in their lane. His friend tucked the front on the brakes and nailed the front of the car. Both of them are more than a little nervous riding street anymore. I just use high vis jackets which has helped considerably...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130120_172524.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	142.7 KB 
ID:	236090

This is the SV my son was riding. The very next thing he rode was a helicopter....

This is what was left of Ryan's R1.....

Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

I think the closest is Eurosports, just SE of Allentown PA. Probably 5-ish hours for me, more for you. The next closest is Fast by Ferraci in Philly. That alone shouldn't be a deal breaker as long as the thing behaves and there's access to maintenance stuff the way we have here. Of course, that makes anything under warranty a real big pita.
    I'll stick with another Guzzi as the next bike. The nearest dealer is about an hour and a half away, and the nearest "Guzzi Guy" is about 15 minutes away. Plus, I'd be more likely to be able to work on it myself.

richy
    Last edited by rdbandkab; 11-06-2013 at 10:31 AM.
    02 aprilia Futura
    15 aprilia Caponord 1200

apriliaforum expert Robert Borchert's Avatar
    Sorry, nothing wrong with custom stitching (I've had some custom saddles over the years), I really like the understated theme of the Futura for mine. Had a super clean saddle made for the CBX that I've never ridden on. I'll round up some photos.

Man, total yard sale of those bikes, Ron! Hope the boys have healed well. Still super cautious riding, watching every little twitch of cars at intersections.

Bob

I hope the boys are OK, Geez! The side/front visibility and awareness problem is why one of the first things I did was change/add lighting last year. It looks like a high speed Italian Christmas Tree at night, but that's the idea.
    01 Blue #84, 11/12 with: HeliBars, foam grips, 05 map, Borla cans (Replaced by 2" pipe)/stock silencer, derestricted, metal QD, dash socket, wiring mod. Me: Ford relay +10awg & grd, fuel pump rewire, FPR, vac hoses. Evap gone, CBR coils/harness+ Magnecor, clutch switch bypass. S.S. clutch & front line, RaceTech Gold fork, Cogent rebuilt Sachs, tapered head bearings. Added LED run lights/indicators/brake. All signals also run lights. All lights but Hi/park/brake on dash switch. Hi beam mod, vest plug, wiring block, blue dash SMD's/Red V meter, Tune IFT, PCIII gone. Stripped/polished rims, vented screen, rear petal disc. FH008 soldered DC plug/added grd/hard soldered AC. L/R dash indicator lights, RG frame/fork sliders, vented screen.

apriliaforum expert Robert Borchert's Avatar
    I remember the days when Suzuki added the monster 9 inch headlights on the big GS models. Sure could see the Zooks coming!

That's the idea.

Bob

Years ago when looking for a replacement from my R1100RS, BMW came out with the R1200ST. It failed pretty miserably in the marketplace because of the front styling:
    Name:  113004bot.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  185.7 KB
    To my eyes, it is reminiscent of the Veloce:
    Name:  2104-MV-Agusta-Turismo-Veloce-Lusso-800-04-635x618.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  55.3 KB
    Maybe the marketplace is now ready for angular front ends! I sure want to ride one.
    Twinz - John
    Montpelier, VT

New old man wheels: 2002 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet

Gone but not forgotten:
    '04 RST 1000 Futura
    '94 R1100RS
    '84 R100CS
    '76 R75/6 w/S fairing
    '80 Guzzi V50 II
    '73 Guzzi V7 Sport

That's funny, yer right. Lots of cues shared. And the front of that Beemer was considered ughh in its day. Like the Fut, well ahead of the times/tastes. I'd have to never look at the front of the new R-RT, yikes that fairing's big. Honda's return of the VFR800 is an interesting throwback. With its rounded lines, it looks very (out)dated to me - much like The Sprint of the early 2000s. Fine back then, not so much now.

One thing that no BMW twin can match is the sound that 3 cyl 800 motor makes. Just watch as Tor has some fun on the Brutale 800 - basically an unfaired version. And maybe count how many times he says Fan-tas-tic and uses the words "brutal' and "ferocious" to describe this motor. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diLbW1ZWLEc

If that wasn't enough Tor, different bike, but same, delicious motor. http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotat...&v=UozKqrTXgbE

I've always loved the song made by 6 cyl Porsches. To my ear, this is pretty dang close.

'In the day', RAS? It still is one ugly MF if you ask me!

The reactions to the headlight of the Veloce seem to be the same everywhere. So let's hope they change that before release.

Meanwhile, Futura owners might consider this, I seem to recall Bossbob had hand guards on his Futura - no doubt the cheapest way to keep warm, knowing Rab - so it would be feasible.
    www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=917626

Obviously RAS, you're smitten. I have to confess I am too. Never mind that it's 50 hp less than what I have now. I can't use it anyway. 'Honest, officer'.

Ron, I assume by now the boys are alright? I have no comments on the accident, I wasn't there. But visibility only gets you so far. Like the X-Files warned us: trust no-one.

Oh, don't mean to rub it in but I can get to 5 separate MV dealers in a 30-mile radius. Finding a competent Honda dealer however has proven near impossible so I have things done at my Aprilia dealer. 15 minutes away.
    Last edited by Befbever; 11-14-2013 at 05:56 AM.
    This Must Be The Place

That BMW came from the cyclops school of design

Twinz - John
    Montpelier, VT

New old man wheels: 2002 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet

Gone but not forgotten:
    '04 RST 1000 Futura
    '94 R1100RS
    '84 R100CS
    '76 R75/6 w/S fairing
    '80 Guzzi V50 II
    '73 Guzzi V7 Sport

Handguards. Yes, home made, yes a little goofy looking, but they are pretty effective and easily installed/removed. Flexible 1/8" clear plastic. The odd inner shaping is to fit around bottom of windscreen on full lock.
    Name:  DSC00337.JPG
Views: 152
Size:  106.7 KB
    01 Blue #84, 11/12 with: HeliBars, foam grips, 05 map, Borla cans (Replaced by 2" pipe)/stock silencer, derestricted, metal QD, dash socket, wiring mod. Me: Ford relay +10awg & grd, fuel pump rewire, FPR, vac hoses. Evap gone, CBR coils/harness+ Magnecor, clutch switch bypass. S.S. clutch & front line, RaceTech Gold fork, Cogent rebuilt Sachs, tapered head bearings. Added LED run lights/indicators/brake. All signals also run lights. All lights but Hi/park/brake on dash switch. Hi beam mod, vest plug, wiring block, blue dash SMD's/Red V meter, Tune IFT, PCIII gone. Stripped/polished rims, vented screen, rear petal disc. FH008 soldered DC plug/added grd/hard soldered AC. L/R dash indicator lights, RG frame/fork sliders, vented screen.

apriliaforum expert thesprocket26's Avatar
    Interresting

apriliaforum Junkie

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Argh Oh View Post
    Handguards. Yes, home made, yes a little goofy looking, but they are pretty effective and easily installed/removed. Flexible 1/8" clear plastic. The odd inner shaping is to fit around bottom of windscreen on full lock.
    Name:  DSC00337.JPG
Views: 152
Size:  106.7 KB
    Another short term solution brought to you by Argh Oh When you NEED TO RIDE !

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast