Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Futura?

How about the new Kaw Ninja 1000...ABS, OEM bags, 509 lbs?? I know it's not a twin but I think it's a lot of bang for the buck!
    Name:  2014-Kawasaki-Ninja-1000-ABS_17_Saddlebag-left-mounted-590x393.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  67.6 KB
    Twinz - John
    Montpelier, VT

New old man wheels: 2002 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet

Gone but not forgotten:
    '04 RST 1000 Futura
    '94 R1100RS
    '84 R100CS
    '76 R75/6 w/S fairing
    '80 Guzzi V50 II
    '73 Guzzi V7 Sport

apriliaforum expert
    It's a bit bland, innit?
    I trust they do other colours

Quote Originally Posted by bossbob View Post
    It's a bit bland, innit?
    I trust they do other colours
    Bland you say? How 'bout back to the future from Honda http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...00f/23894.html
    Actually, this is the 1st thing that Honda's done in a long while that makes any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
    How about the new Kaw Ninja 1000...ABS, OEM bags, 509 lbs?? I know it's not a twin but I think it's a lot of bang for the buck!
    I called that "maybe the biggest deal in motorcycling" a couple posts back. Inline 4s are not for me. It's kinda plasticky up close. Lots of motor though. Lots of tingling fingies too from what I read. They made 6th gear taller this year to deal with the highway drone tingles. Aparrently, the tank even buzzes a bit.

apriliaforum newb
    I have been sitting on this Kawi 1000 and must say that position feels more relaxed, handlebars are a little closer to the seat and a little upper so may be good for longer rides. But in the overall, the bike feels like smaller than futura, maybe it's because of fairings or something else, but I felt like I was sitting on 2/3 of the Futura

Quote Originally Posted by bikpaintr View Post
    Sure does. Right down to the "odd" headlight choice. Of course I liked the original Multistrada as it harkened back to what I consider a Sport Tourer. A relatively light, nimble bike with bags & a fairing that will get you from point A to point B comfortably and still let you have fun around town. The majority of what passes for a Sport Tourer today would have been considered land yachts 30 years ago. I don't need or want a 600lb/150hp beast. The Futura is heavier then I'd prefer & has way more fairing parts then I need. Like the old Multistrada the new MV looks good to me from every angle but the front. No big deal as like RAS I'm still not in love with the Futura's styling either and I'd be looking at the other side of the fairing 98% of the time.
    Couldn't agree more, I bet you never saw that coming did you John?

I never was a fan of the whole first Multistrada styling but the MV is what gets you from A to B without looking and feeling like an aircraft carrier and it sounds like you'll be having a lot of fun on the way there. I especially like the 'custom' map thingy.
    As to center stands, Bob, you go and find a new bike these days that comes standard with a center stand. My VFR1200 certainly didn't. That's an extra 250 euro thankyouverymuch. The Ninja 1000's top box is 1/4 the price of the Honda's and twice as large!

And okay I don't like the MV's old style headlight either on the Veloce but it is LED, not a candle like Triumph used when I had mine. HID the first week of ownership, so is that any better? I think not. Center stand was extra too btw.

So, the MV's got style (and to my delight the VFR800 so does not) and if I were to still own my Futura I would be more worried about being stranded out in the sticks because it would be 12 years old by now, not because it has a center stand or not. No offense, Bob, honest.

Apart from the seat height and obviously the expected price tag, there's only one thing bugging me about the new Turismo Veloce and that's how come it looks like it's been rear-ended from new. I'm a bit rusty on dimensions, can anyone shed some light? Long swing arm or something? Seems to me like they wasted a lot of space for the pillion but like I said, I stand to be corrected.

Bef
    This Must Be The Place

That new Ninja with bags is the one I told my wife recently that I could finally consider a Futura replacement....
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

Quote Originally Posted by RAS View Post
    Bland you say? How 'bout back to the future from Honda http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...00f/23894.html
    Actually, this is the 1st thing that Honda's done in a long while that makes any sense.
    Don't know. They brought the power down to 104 hp. The "old" Vtec has 110hp. That don't makes sense to me.
    Don't like the look in general, they've put the muffler in front of that beautiful rear swinger/wheel, no USD forks.
    2010 Black Tuono 1000R
    2013 Kymco Xciting 400i
    2002 Stream Silver Futura: Falco Showa forks, 320mm rotors , wiring mod, new rectifier, FPR mod, BEF's, custom LED dash with integrated voltmeter, warning lights, HID lights, own design topcase rack, brass fuel couplings
    2005 black/bronze Falco: JCE carbon mufflers, Discacciati cast iron brake discs, wiring mod, Mille shock, warning lights, own design bag rack, HID light, Tomasselli adjustable clipons, mini-LED turn signal lights, Gabro dual map chip
    Past:
    1995 Honda VFR750FS
    1978 Zundapp KS50

Quote Originally Posted by Pars View Post
    Don't know. They brought the power down to 104 hp. The "old" Vtec has 110hp. That don't makes sense to me.
    Don't like the look in general, they've put the muffler in front of that beautiful rear swinger/wheel, no USD forks.
    That pipe looks like it came right from the CB500R. The brake rotors are also small. think I read under 300mm. It's time for Honda to start making some money by selling price-point bikes. You can still find 2010 VFR12s on showroom floors.

Maybe this will sell at $17k http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/97838/...irst-Look.aspx 724 lbs, lol.

It's time for Honda to start making some money by selling price-point bikes.
    And that's why they made this bike! Rotors are 310 mm IIIRC, that can is so low it will accommodate huge bags. There's hardly a VFR1200 to be found in the UK that hasn't had all the bolts of unsprung parts rust and I doubt if there's a single 2010 one left that hasn't had the rear shock replaced. The record stands at 5 replacements under warranty. And now I read the 2012's still have that issue.

Great bike but it's turning out to be a money pit. Well mine is anyway.

Oh as to seats: the VFR12 one sucks (for me) so I have a heated Corbin. It's worn the leather off in less than 2 years...
    This Must Be The Place

apriliaforum expert Robert Borchert's Avatar
    No worries, bef. Last week I had a chance to check out the yellow RSV4 APRC, and tinkered with the MV F3 and F4. The MVs look beautiful in person, the photos don't quite capture the lines.

With the lights on, I was disappointed with the visibility off-axis, an overlooked and critical safety issue. Motorcycles are most vulnerable to side and diagonal from the front approach. An oncoming car can turn right into you. That efficient light doesn't spill enough light off to the side.

I had a collision with an oncoming car, a month or so ago, so the risk is quite fresh in mind.

Riding with a passenger, it's preferable for the bike to be stable and level...wives like to claim those bags as their new territory. Makes a centerstand really nice to have when touring.

For many of us, "touring" is code for "with the missus", and if comfort back there means she'll let you buy an Agusta before remodeling the kitchen, yoy just put one into the goal post, hehe.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rdbandkab View Post
    Thinking Kab might not be comfy on the pillion area.

Attachment 236040
    That may be so but just imagine the view from your camera of the cockpit of an MV!
    This Must Be The Place

With the lights on, I was disappointed with the visibility off-axis, an overlooked and critical safety issue. Motorcycles are most vulnerable to side and diagonal from the front approach. An oncoming car can turn right into you. That efficient light doesn't spill enough light off to the side.

I had a collision with an oncoming car, a month or so ago, so the risk is quite fresh in mind.
    Ouch, sorry didn't know. Hope you're okay?

Yes you may be right, haven't thought of that, really. Of course the VFR1200 is a true master when it comes to visibility, diagonally or otherwise. With the main head light being large and wide and the reflector creating the illusion that there are 4 bulbs in there instead of the one, AND 2 bright white LEDs in each mirror, I've been hit from week one with amazement on how visible this bike really is. Colleagues in cars have mentioned that it's the LEDs that makes them look twice. One light says 'bike', 3 different lights just makes them look again. That's if they're looking of course.

So good tip for the Futura: just put 2 LEDs in each mirror, I'm sure you'll notice the difference.

I've only added a Xenon HID this year, not to get more light but just to make it look more classy. And it does. Can't really vouch for extra light although the side of the road is more clearly visible.

You're right, the MV won't be very good at that. Maybe with the indicators being in the hand guards, you can add two LEDs in there too.

Another bike that has awesome visibility and really good lights for the rider is the Capo 1200. I rode that for a week and a half while my Honda was converted into being the only one I know of with HEL braided lines and a Brembo RCS master brake cylinder. Really great lights, no need for HID at all. The ADD makes sure they stay more level too so I'm a fan of that as well.
    I have a short clip I made that can be viewed publicly, ie no speeding or other infractions.

All of this latest news better light a fire under Aprilia's ass, otherwise they're missing out on a lot of sales. What they have now only caters a very small group of riders. They've been in trouble lately, shutting down production for a few days.
    LeoVince's gone belly-up this week which is very sad, so it seems strange that MV does have the resources to make this all happen.

But then again, so does Ducati so it's all a bit mysterious.
    This Must Be The Place

Quote Originally Posted by Befbever View Post
    But then again, so does Ducati so it's all a bit mysterious.
    Ducati has some big pockets these days - Audi!

That may be so but just imagine the view from your camera of the cockpit of an MV!
    You can send me pics from your camera!!!!

You know me Hugo...... The bike has to be comfy (for both of us) for at least 6 hours in the saddle!!

*got me thinking......I'll have to see where there is an MV dealer around here. Rick??? We have any???
    There's a guy not too far from me that would be a good dealer for MV... At one time he was a factory Ducati tech and seems to know a few things for keeping high-strung bikes running.
    02 aprilia Futura
    15 aprilia Caponord 1200

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast