Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Futura?

Next Futura?

OK, it's not a twin. It's not even an Aprilia. But it sure is somethin!!!!

http://www.motoroids.com/news/unveil...mo-veloce-800/

I don't know - that may take some time to grow on me.
    JD

Futura
    Bunch of dirtbikes

apriliaforum Junkie
    Naaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,... each to their own but for me this is the "next/newer futura":

^ Yeah, if they still made it
    JD

Futura
    Bunch of dirtbikes

Looks like a Multistrada....
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

apriliaforum expert Robert Borchert's Avatar
    Let's check the math. Veloce 800 - centerstand = not a tourer. In my way of thinking, if you cannot raise that rear wheel when you're out in the sticks and need to service the bike, or at the very least, it doesn't offer a stable platform to park and access the thing, it's a compromise.

It might have cool lines, and the pillion looks like it might support more woman than the 105 pound Italian supermodel the designers like to use...but what the hell are they thinking with that oddball cyclops headlight that makes you about as visible as a UFO in stealth mode?

Bob

Tough crowd, RAS.
    This Must Be The Place

apriliaforum expert Powerful Pierre's Avatar
    That looks OK, kinda stumpy for 2 people perhaps but I was surprised to see its got a 20 litre tank, was expecting style to rule over function and it have an egg-cup of fuel capacity.....20 litres might actually give it some range. !90 rear tyre seems a bit over the top tho'...........
    Bet its prettier than most 'trail-style' bikes in the flesh, MV find it hard to make an ugly bike, and they're def the kings of exhaust styling.....why do most other brands other than Ducati find it necessary to strap an oil drum masquerading as a silencer on the side?

YEah, Bef, really tough.

So, the model with the active suspension does have a centerstand stock. The lesser, non-Lusser will be an add-on. The looks of the Futura are still growing on me after 10 years. Been years since I had a passenger back there. The 190 is 10 over the top. But the wheel was likely sourced from the the big Brutale. And yeah, it is MS-ish from the side. Still.

The electronics are really over the top imo. Just get it right - Triumph style. There are 2 settings for engine braking!

As for the Sprint ST, I already own a really nice old bike.

Some more picts and better info. Sticker shock still to come. http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2013/...-more-elegant/

Oh, one of the guys chirping up in that last link put it well. Maybe this will give the rest of the field a bump in the arse to start building a nice sport tourer that's not 600 lbs. Would you rather have the BMW F800GT (nice, but a bit boring, imo) or this bike if both were $14k (yeah, yeah, the MV isn't gonna be $14k, but the Beemer is after it's loaded up)? Cause that's about all there is for choice right now. The FZ09 with some wind protection, decent fuel capacity, and some better suspension bits would fill the bill nicely. Triumph already has an 800 cc motor. A new, smaller Sprint would get my attention as well.

Thinking Kab might not be comfy on the pillion area.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mvs.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	236040
    02 aprilia Futura
    15 aprilia Caponord 1200

Quote Originally Posted by meanstrk View Post
    Looks like a Multistrada....

Sure does. Right down to the "odd" headlight choice. Of course I liked the original Multistrada as it harkened back to what I consider a Sport Tourer. A relatively light, nimble bike with bags & a fairing that will get you from point A to point B comfortably and still let you have fun around town. The majority of what passes for a Sport Tourer today would have been considered land yachts 30 years ago. I don't need or want a 600lb/150hp beast. The Futura is heavier then I'd prefer & has way more fairing parts then I need. Like the old Multistrada the new MV looks good to me from every angle but the front. No big deal as like RAS I'm still not in love with the Futura's styling either and I'd be looking at the other side of the fairing 98% of the time.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

Quote Originally Posted by rdbandkab View Post
    Thinking Kab might not be comfy on the pillion area.
    Neither of those seats is likely to meet what we've gotten used to with the Futura's barcolounger. Unfortunately, there won't be enough demand for much off the shelf aftermarket. So, it'll have to be done custom I suspect. Go on to the Ninja 1000 forums - everyone is buying Sargent or someone's saddle as the OE version just sucks. Now there's a pretty nice bike at a reasonable price. Bags are nicer this year and with traction control and ABS now std., maybe the biggest deal in motorcycling. If only it didn't put hands to sleep ( I'll never own another inline 4) and provided a comfy place to sit, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by bikpaintr View Post
    Sure does. Right down to the "odd" headlight choice. Of course I liked the original Multistrada as it harkened back to what I consider a Sport Tourer. A relatively light, nimble bike with bags & a fairing that will get you from point A to point B comfortably and still let you have fun around town. The majority of what passes for a Sport Tourer today would have been considered land yachts 30 years ago. I don't need or want a 600lb/150hp beast. The Futura is heavier then I'd prefer & has way more fairing parts then I need. Like the old Multistrada the new MV looks good to me from every angle but the front. No big deal as like RAS I'm still not in love with the Futura's styling either and I'd be looking at the other side of the fairing 98% of the time.
    Yes sir! Exactly

apriliaforum expert Robert Borchert's Avatar
    In the last link, I found the center stand hidden below the (looks like alloy) sidestand, in a left side view. Gotta agree, that MV rear stand does look wicked cool.

RAS, it's time to recover the Futura's rear seat, as I see a few cracks starting in the vinyl. Don't know if I can find a similar dappled covering, but I'm going to stay with a simple look, rather than a "stitch festival".

Bob
    Last edited by Robert Borchert; 11-05-2013 at 09:46 AM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast