Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Just bought new 2009 sportcity 250

apriliaforum Junkie
    very nice, i see the you put my former windscreen to good use.... nice trip

by the way, buy a good tire pressure gauge, maybe you are over pumping the tire, dont rely on the one at the pump.

get handle weight.... best upgrade ever, will make your trip less tired.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresno View Post
    Woke up this morning to take a 400 mile round trip out to Solvang ca. Check tires, front 25 and rear 30. So I cruise to the gas station to pump up the tires. It went from feeling like a cadillac to feeling like the tires were hard as rocks.

Anyways, I ran into rain and high crosswinds as well as not being able to see past my visor. Don't know how people ride in the rain. Instead of a day trip, all I got were these crummy pics.

Yeah I did my oil and gear oil both at 600 miles.
    The Sport City does ride a bit hard but underinflating the tires for a softer ride will lead to a front end buzz as the tire treads will squirm too much and wear unevenly leading to a potential head shake or tank slapper.

apriliaforum Member
    Ya last time i checked the tires was 2 months ago. So the wheels lost about 5lbs in 2 winter months. Have you seen this air compressor at lowes?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_146781-40883-KL12120_5003698__?productId=3522750&Ntt=air+compre ssor&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3D p_product_price%7C0%26Ntt%3Dair%2Bcompressor%26pag e%3D1&facetInfo=$25%20-%20$50

Automatic, just put in the desired air pressure and the unit fills to that and auto shuts off. Having to wrestle the gas station pump is a bear. I had my tire gauge checked at the tire shop and mine is accurate to the pound.

Hey, I just drove my car 100 miles round trip, it costs me 15 bucks. My bike costs about 5 bucks for the same trip. Cars are expensive to run, how are people afffording it every day? I drove my bike 30 miles hwy and it cost .40 of a gallon. I'm just blown away at how much money people are spending to get around every day.

I'm not a fan of the automatic compressors. I haven't found some of them to be accurate.

I save alot with my scooter. Very happy. I drive it add much as I can, although winter weather passing havoc with me riding. I ride as long as streets are dry. You do save alot of money in gas. It's a no brainer. Thought about getting a 50cc to commute with. They get almost twice the mpg, they get almost 125 mpg! If you can deal with the slower speeds.
    2009 Aprilia Sportcity cube 250, 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125, 1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2011 Toyota Yaris

apriliaforum expert
    Ya last time i checked the tires was 2 months ago. So the wheels lost about 5lbs in 2 winter months. Have you seen this air compressor at lowes?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_146781-40883-KL12120_5003698__?productId=3522750&Ntt=air+compre ssor&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNs%3Dp_prod uct_price%7C0%26Ntt%3Dair%2Bcompressor%26page%3D1& facetInfo=$25%20-%20$50

Automatic, just put in the desired air pressure and the unit fills to that and auto shuts off. Having to wrestle the gas station pump is a bear. I had my tire gauge checked at the tire shop and mine is accurate to the pound.

Hey, I just drove my car 100 miles round trip, it costs me 15 bucks. My bike costs about 5 bucks for the same trip. Cars are expensive to run, how are people afffording it every day? I drove my bike 30 miles hwy and it cost .40 of a gallon. I'm just blown away at how much money people are spending to get around every day.
    I ended up at Harbor Freight and got one of their 2hp pancake roofers compressors for $39 off the reduced rack. Oil bath with a cast iron cylinder to.

I ride every day and deal with an $8 fill-up every 10 days compared to a $70 fill-up every week

apriliaforum Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 winter.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	210.7 KB 
ID:	247871Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 winter.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	226.6 KB 
ID:	247872

Hey guys,

Rode 200 miles or so yesterday around Oakhurst, CA. Froze my ass off. Riding in the mountains, I did a 120 mile loop from gas station to gas station. I used 1.36 gallons to fill up for 120 miles, giving me 88.25 MPG. Elevation 4000 and spirited riding.

I also found out why my dashboard was rocking back and forth loose. The factory screw wiggled out from vibration, I took apart the dashboard like Klaviator did in this Adv thread. Heres a picture of my fix. Zip tied it and no more vibration. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zip tie.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	506.2 KB 
ID:	247873

At 6200 miles I did the oil change. I have misplaced my maintenance book somewhere in the house.

What else do I do at 6200 miles? I'm going to clean the air filter. Do I do the gear oil as well?
    Last edited by Fresno; 04-04-2014 at 09:54 PM.

apriliaforum expert
    The service station manual says to replace the engine air filter at 6,200 and only clean it inbetween the 6,200 mile changes if you ride is extremely dirty conditions. The CVT air filter needs to be cleaned in soapy water and the gear lube needs changing too. Always change the oil filter at every oil change.

At next oil change it will also be time to change the belt and rollers being sure to grease the needle bearing the the clutch spins on.

apriliaforum Member
    I ordered a new engine air filter through the local dealer at 14.06

In the meantime I cleaned the engine air filter with the K/N kit-(cyclegear).

Both Filters cleaned, both oils changed-Engine and gear.

Is there a crush washer on this year bike? I thought there was, but haven't found it on af1s' site. Is it #831393? I could swear this model year has one.

I have now 6200 miles on the stock maxxis rear tire, I suspect I can get 8000-9000 miles out of the rear.

apriliaforum expert
    I ordered a new engine air filter through the local dealer at 14.06

In the meantime I cleaned the engine air filter with the K/N kit-(cyclegear).
    Caution on using the K/N cleaner as it sometimes can destroy the filters if you don't rinse it off completely. Check the filter regularly and replace it when the new one comes in. I keep a few spares just in case. If you begin to see the engine facing side of the filter start to look mottled or like it has started to melt then it is time replace it before a hole breaks through and the dirty part of the filter that breaks off gets sucked into the cylinder.

apriliaforum Member
    Nice pics. Did you take 41 out of Oakhurst? If so, how was the climb just outside of town heading back to Fresno? It seems quite steep for the SC. Seems like you're enjoying the ride. I know I love it.
    2016 Ducati Sixty2
    2016 Piaggio BV350

apriliaforum Member
    I take 41 straight up all the way to bass lake road or road 222. Very scenic road out there that goes on forever. Be careful up there near oakhurst and Yosemite , the cops are plenty and ticket happy. The sportcity should have no issues on hwy 41 - I would be able to hold 75 mph on that hwy until the cops pull me over.

I never have speed issues as far as maintaining speed on this bike except when I drive down to Los Angeles. Freeway I-5 around Gorman ca has steep long inclines. I have to gain speed before the incline and the bike holds speed on the incline. I keep 70mph on the inclines.

The sportcity must be very capable on inclines though cause cdwise lives out in Colorado and those inclines are no walk in the park.

I picked up a 2 gallon gas tank at a gas station and used the 6 dollar bungee net at cyclegear. The gas can was sliding around over the back seat. I just realized I hooked onto the wrong place on the bike. There are grooves bilt in under the passenger handles. I guess the hooks go there. I had the gas can strapped wrong and the slack allowed the can to slide around.

The stock gas tank will leave you stranded out there and there is no cell signal out there. I also need a tire repair kit with co2 cartridges in case of flats out there.

I noticed the performance on my bike seemed to get a bit weak in the last couple hundred miles. I noticed at the stop lights I would still leave cars behind, but the acceleration was lifeless like turning the throttle on a vacuum cleaner. After changing oils and filters, engine performance seems to be much more aggressive and strong. I've been counting my 0-60mph time and I'm getting to 60mph in 14 seconds. According to online sources, it's performing within spec.

My my bike pulls steady to 75mph, then it hits a wall and then very slowly moves towards max of 87.

There is a piaggio training school out in Santa barbera ca , perhaps later this year I can stop there and have an annual inspection done on the bike.

apriliaforum Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dryrot 1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	481.7 KB 
ID:	248311Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dryrot 2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	483.0 KB 
ID:	248312

I read what Rockynv said about tires and walked out to find my manufacture date. Front tire: DOT UYV8 2008
    http://www.ehow.com/how_6904540_tell...cle-tires.html

My tire was made first week May 2008. This means I purchased this bike with tires that were 5 years and 2 months old (July 2013).
    Next month May they will be 6 years old.

Maxxis has a 4 year warranty.

Am I SOL on these tires? Do I have a leg to stand on concerning the dealer who sold the bike with expired tires?

apriliaforum expert
    Not sure about tire regulations in California however in Florida with all the bad press, scrutiny from the legislature and Attourney Newsome stocking an evidence locker with vehicles that crashed due to old tires chances are pretty good to get some satisfaction from a dealer selling vehicles with old tires on them that are too far out of date for safe use over 15 mph.

apriliaforum Member
    I've been up to Bass lake a handful of times. Usually I take Friant Road to North Fork Road, or Hwy 41 to North Fork road. As for speed, are doing 75 by GPS or indicated on the speedo? I know since I put Michellin City Grip on the rear, in order to do a GPS 65mph, my speedo needs to read 75mph. After that speed, I don't have much left; though like you said, it can do that speed all day long.

As for your tires, no advice; my front had crack in it so I replaced it at the same time as the rear. While I like the tires, I do get the impression that the smaller than stock rear tire is causing a slight top speed loss.
    2016 Ducati Sixty2
    2016 Piaggio BV350

apriliaforum Member
    Yeah, on the dashboard 100kph =55mph 120kph=65mph 140kph=75mph. I downloaded a speedometer app on my phone and tested it.

Once I realized that the large kph numbers were 55/65/75 I was able to relax and enjoy the ride alot more instead of having to do the math on the mph speedometer line.

It sounds like our bikes are running the same speed on the road.

Perhaps you need a taller screen, being tall I assume your upper body is causing resistance. I assume the sport puig screen is not able to divert the airflow over you. Af1 has that taller mid size screen.
    I can definitely see where you would be frustrated with an effective top end of 65.

I'm looking to go either city grip or the marathon tires. I feel lucky that I realized the rotted tires now instead of on the freeway with a blowout.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast