Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Just bought new 2009 sportcity 250

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresno View Post
    I'll check it early morning first thing.

I talked to the service guy, he looked at the silver tag on the front column where your feet rest, it says29 front, 33 rear (cold). I got the bike delivered with front 30 and rear 33. But you are right, the temp of the day would have an effect , I'll recheck.

The gauge I'm using is a traditional pressure gauge they sell at autozone where the white indicator strip comes out when pushing the gauge onto the valve stem.

I have been riding the quiet back country roads to work and back ( no traffic around )and I notice wobble after about 50-55. I wish the bike would remain steady and calm , I understand all biker get blasted by oncoming semi truck blasts but this has nothing to do with that. I notice the wobble on any road after 55mph. The irrigation cement makes the ride feel a bit loose. So loose and wobble.

The irrigation lines on the cement freeway makes the ride feel loose and I loose all confidence. It's a comfort thing , it makes the ride a bit miserable. Yet, I picked up some ear plugs at the deal for the ride home and that seemed to help take the anxiety out of the ride since I wasn't as hyper sensitive to every little twitch feedback from the bike.

The issue with the wiggle means I'm constantly fighting the wiggle and that makes for a miserable ride, I assume I need to learn to just relax.

Speed wise the bike has no problem keeping up with/passing freeway traffic.

i remember klavator saying he had psi issues on the adv forum. I'm optimistic of a better ride quality with better tires.

the wobble you describe does not seem normal, if you ever get a chance to be in the OC area, come test drive mi SC, mine feel stable at all speed.

http://www.amazon.com/Joes-Racing-32...rds=tire+gauge

^ this is the gauge that I use, very accurate. i suggest you get a good one.

the next thing i would do is to check your suspension setting. play with that. see if that changes your handling.
    make sure you have not lose any of the wheel weights

apriliaforum expert
    On the tire pressures the local dealer here suggests going 2 psi over the reccomended to prevent tread squirm on the front tire. Tread squirm will cause a wobbly feeling at certain speeds and may cause head shake while decelerating due to the tread blocks wearing unevenly while braking.

apriliaforum Member
    My starter relay/button thing quit working as intended, so it simply starts by pressing the brake lever. This in of itself doesn't pose a problem to me, 1 less thing I have to do to motor around.

But, last night I notice a whine noise coming from the bike when i press the brake levers. Either brake or both at the same time, causes this high pitched whine noise to sound. The noise stops when I release the brakes. I'm concerned that the bike is not safe to ride with this, I don't know if the brakes are going to give out.

Anyone have any experience with this?

apriliaforum Junkie
    My starter relay/button thing quit working as intended, so it simply starts by pressing the brake lever. This in of itself doesn't pose a problem to me, 1 less thing I have to do to motor around.

But, last night I notice a whine noise coming from the bike when i press the brake levers. Either brake or both at the same time, causes this high pitched whine noise to sound. The noise stops when I release the brakes. I'm concerned that the bike is not safe to ride with this, I don't know if the brakes are going to give out.

Anyone have any experience with this?
    you bike is under warranty. sound like your button is stuck. seem like what happening is that after the bike is already on, the bike is rotating the starter everytime you hit the brakes. kind of turning the key twice in your car after the car is already on

apriliaforum Member
    Yeah I just now connected the dots... So the bike is grounded for the next x many days/weeks while the dealer orders the part. I'll have to call them tomorrow.

apriliaforum expert
    Your starter drive is probably going to need replacing also. They are delicate and don't hold up very well to being engaged against a running engine

apriliaforum Member
    Yeah I'm assuming the starter incurred damage, the starter screams pretty loud now. When it goes to the shop, I'm going to ask them about the air conditioning and the CD player as well , can't seem to get that to work on the bike either... And where's my cup holder damnit!?!

I loosened the suspension and it now absorbs the bumps in the road instead of transferring those bumps straight to my spine. I'm getting tank slap on rough freeway roads, annoying. The steering column straightens after releasing the throttle which I guess allows the front tire to replant at freeway speed. Another method is tapping the rear brake, from what I have been reading. I need to trial and error front tire psi. At 700 miles now and the tires finally feel as though they grip instead of sliding but that's prolly just me.

apriliaforum expert
    It is beginning to sould like the bolt through the silent blocks may be loose or one of them may be damaged. The common tank slap on the Sport City is while coasting to a stop not while laying on the throttle.

Do you have a top case with the required handle bar end weights?

apriliaforum Member
    Nope just the puig screen. I wish I could video tape it. The handlebars weave subtly from side to side getting progressively worse, I tried to lean the bike left and right in my own lane to see if that would have any effect and no effect, releasing the throttle calms the handle bars instantly. I haven't had enough freeway time to test out different road conditions.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Yeah I'm assuming the starter incurred damage, the starter screams pretty loud now. When it goes to the shop, I'm going to ask them about the air conditioning and the CD player as well , can't seem to get that to work on the bike either... And where's my cup holder damnit!?!

I loosened the suspension and it now absorbs the bumps in the road instead of transferring those bumps straight to my spine. I'm getting tank slap on rough freeway roads, annoying. The steering column straightens after releasing the throttle which I guess allows the front tire to replant at freeway speed. Another method is tapping the rear brake, from what I have been reading. I need to trial and error front tire psi. At 700 miles now and the tires finally feel as though they grip instead of sliding but that's prolly just me.
    how much do you weight?

apriliaforum Member
    210lbs

apriliaforum Junkie
    210lbs
    adding helmet, jacket and clothing- you are at 225 lbs or so.

your weight explains the tanks slap. if you read the manual the original setting for the rear shock is set for 150 lbs rider ( if not mistaken). you need to make the suspension be adjusted to your weight.
    again please read EVERY page of the manual. as i know this is your first bike. the manual will give you a lots of info that you did not know about riding and maint. same recommendation i give when you buy a car no matter how much you already think you know how to drive a car.

tank slap is very dangerous, remember falling at 15 mph on a bicycle, and how much that hurt? now imagine 40 mph on motorcycle.

adjust the air pressure with a good pressure gauge, the sportcity is very sensitive to PSI in the tires.

apriliaforum expert
    The Sport City has a 460lb capacity with the preload on the rear shocks set at max so for someone that weighs around 210 lbs they should be set to around the middle setting. Below that the rear of the bike will sag too much and throw the steering angle off which will contribute to the shake. Its all about geometry. The front tire should be at about 31 psi to help minimize the shake however that won't offset the rear shock preload being too low.

To compensate for your back injury/bad disk you may want to consider having a local shop add some padding and maybe a gel insert to the seat.

apriliaforum Member
    My back doesn't bother at all on the bike. I was talking with a coworker. He has the v-star and we agreed that the weight on the SC 250 is on the rear and it only makes sense the front tire is going to get light at speed. Contributing to this common spot city head shake thing. Bikes gonna be in the shop for awhile according to the dealer,they have other bikes ahead of me.

Once I get the bike back I'll see about shoving some weights into the glove box, adjusting the tires/rear suspension/etc.
    Would be nice to have a front spoiler/air dam to force the front down at speed. Keep that front planted at high speed.

It'll be great once I get it cruising smooth at 70.

apriliaforum expert
    Do you have the preload set below half? If so that would contribute to what you are experiencing. Most Sport City head shake is from tire feathering and experienced below 35 mph while decellerating with just engine braking from rolling off the throttle.

You have something else going on here that is not the usual.

Releasing the throttle if you were having "common Sport City head shake" would make it worse.

I ride the interstate regularly and have 17,000 miles on mine and have never experienced head shake while riding down the interstate at 70, 80 or even 90+ mph. Not when running the stock 130/80-15 Sava rear tire or with the 130/90-15 tires (Pirelli MT66 then Dunlop404) that I started using since the OEM Sava wore out.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast