Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Just bought new 2009 sportcity 250

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresno View Post
    Hey guys. Is there a cruise control option for this bike? I bought a universal cruise control thing from cycle gear. Yet I don't think I'll be able to use it. It looks like the throttle grip goes into the housing. Nep brand universal. I may have to settle for that cramp buster.

Im terrible at maintaining a constant speed.

during the break-in period you should not be doing constant speed anyway. with practice you will be fine. believe me. when i started riding i said the same thing.

apriliaforum Member
    Well it's more about traveling when I start taking it day tripping around the state. I tend to zone out and not notice I'm doing 85mph , that sort of thing. So in my case it's all about forcing my vehicle to do the limit ,so I don't end up with a speeding ticket. Cruise control allows me to forget about the speed and enjoy the ride a lot more.

I'm at 400 miles now and it's all highway miles 10 miles at a time. 20 mile round trips a day. Doing 50-55 for 10 mile period with the usual stops for stop signs etc.

coming up on the first oil change soon. I need to order a oil filter . I found the filter on amazon cheaper then factory website. Still need the o-ring though.

The manual states that the performance will improve after the first 312 initial miles and I feel the difference I think. I think the puig screen helps. Seems to have an easier time accelerating.

The maxxis tires are miserable. I notice the front tire sliding during slow speed turns. I think maxxis is Latin for death trap.

apriliaforum expert
    Prefer the Sava to the Maxxis myself. Yes I noticed better acceleration with the Puig on the bike also along with better fuel economy. With the Puig it is possible to loose track and end up going over 90 mph once the bike is run in.

The throttle lock will not help at maintaining speed as the CVT will be gearing up and down based on inclines and headwinds. It is a 250 so you will also be dealing with the lower torque output making it so you will need to regurlarly adjust the throttle position to maintain speed.

meta4
    WRT throttle: you might give those "CrampBuster" Throttle Assist paddles. I used them on my old Kymco P150 which seem to have a strong return spring and they worked very well. Once you get use to them you can actually accelerate while covering the front brake - kind of handy in an urban setting. The Sportcity throttle return spring isn't as forceful as the Kymco and I haven't needed the CrampBuster, though it does work and might be nice on longer WOT rides. CycleGear carries them; wait for a sale and its like $6 for a pair.

apriliaforum Junkie
    I have the sava tires, they are ok, the first 800 miles of the tires was slippery, then they got better grip, I mean this goes for all tires car tires as well, they are very slippery when new. i think that is also one of the reason manufacturers have a break- in period.

just make sure you have the correct PSI on both tire, use a accurate gauge... not all gauges are accurate

apriliaforum expert
    The Sava do have a heavy preservative coating that is pretty tough. The local dealer here scrubs the treads down pretty good to get the bulk of it off before they deliver the bike to you to ensure you burn through the residual thats left pretty quickly.

Correct PSI with the diagonally siped tires up front means 2 to 4 psi over the recommedation in the owners manual which is to prevent head shake issues. I at first thought the local Aprilia dealers service tech was just careless until I asked them why and that is when I learned that diagonally siped front tires if not inflated a bit more firmly tend to have the tread squirm during moderately heavy braking so that the leading edges of the tread blocks wear faster that the rest. This causes uneven contact with the road alternating which side of the tire has contact setting up a harmonic that causes the handlebars to shake.

apriliaforum Member
    Hey rocky, do you know what cause the bike to weave at 55-? After 55 the bike seems to shimy, the body seems to shimy like a fish would weave through water. It's not enough to impede the ride, just something I've noticed.

Cross-wind is annoying , but this wiggle is different.

My bike is stock except for puig screen. No top box. 600 miles on the bike now.

i checked tire pressure , 33 rear and 30 front. That is the pressure I received from the dealer. Max pressure stated on these maxxis tires says 33.
    Last edited by Fresno; 08-21-2013 at 05:52 AM.

apriliaforum expert
    I have not noted the type of shimy you have mentioned however I have do not have the Maxxis tires either. It could be a phenomenom realative to the tread pattern on the Maxxis tires or could be that the silent blocks were not tightened to the correct tourque setting.

apriliaforum Member
    I just rode the bike to the dealer to pick up a part, while there a service guy rode it and said that the bike performed perfectly. This being my first time on any bike , I assume this is the bike experience.

It'll get better i assume once I actually learn how to ride this thing.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresno View Post
    Hey rocky, do you know what cause the bike to weave at 55-? After 55 the bike seems to shimy, the body seems to shimy like a fish would weave through water. It's not enough to impede the ride, just something I've noticed.

Cross-wind is annoying , but this wiggle is different.

My bike is stock except for puig screen. No top box. 600 miles on the bike now.

i checked tire pressure , 33 rear and 30 front. That is the pressure I received from the dealer. Max pressure stated on these maxxis tires says 33.

i had the issue in the pass, it was the tire pressure being too low.

what gauge are you using to check your pressure? how accurate is your gauge? some gauge inaccuracy can be up to 10 psi. there was an a consumer report test about a few month back where they test many of these cheap and expensive gauges and many were found to be inaccurate, especially when accidentally dropped the gauge from a few feet height.

also when are you checking the pressure? when cold? when hot? time of day? i know Fresno can become pretty hot. so the hot tire pressure is not the PSI you want to use. COLD one. measure it early in the morning before riding. or at night be temp is cool and bike has not been ridden

apriliaforum Member
    Hey Fresno, does it happen on all roads? Or do you notice it on the freeway with the crazy lines in the concrete? (whatever they're called) I know I can ride on say Friant Road or any of the other open arteries at high speed, but as soon as I hit the freeway it gets wiggly. I do have the maxxis tires also. I have to admit though, it seems at some times the bike feels more wobbly than others but never a fish tail.
    2016 Ducati Sixty2
    2016 Piaggio BV350

apriliaforum Member
    I'll check it early morning first thing.

I talked to the service guy, he looked at the silver tag on the front column where your feet rest, it says29 front, 33 rear (cold). I got the bike delivered with front 30 and rear 33. But you are right, the temp of the day would have an effect , I'll recheck.

The gauge I'm using is a traditional pressure gauge they sell at autozone where the white indicator strip comes out when pushing the gauge onto the valve stem.

I have been riding the quiet back country roads to work and back ( no traffic around )and I notice wobble after about 50-55. I wish the bike would remain steady and calm , I understand all biker get blasted by oncoming semi truck blasts but this has nothing to do with that. I notice the wobble on any road after 55mph. The irrigation cement makes the ride feel a bit loose. So loose and wobble.

The irrigation lines on the cement freeway makes the ride feel loose and I loose all confidence. It's a comfort thing , it makes the ride a bit miserable. Yet, I picked up some ear plugs at the deal for the ride home and that seemed to help take the anxiety out of the ride since I wasn't as hyper sensitive to every little twitch feedback from the bike.

The issue with the wiggle means I'm constantly fighting the wiggle and that makes for a miserable ride, I assume I need to learn to just relax.

Speed wise the bike has no problem keeping up with/passing freeway traffic.

i remember klavator saying he had psi issues on the adv forum. I'm optimistic of a better ride quality with better tires.
    Last edited by Fresno; 08-22-2013 at 12:38 AM.

apriliaforum Member
    yeah, hope you figure it out. I haven't had any issues to make it feel uncomfortable. Like I said, the freeway grooves are unnerving but on regular old black top roads I don't notice anything. With that said, I don't usually ride on the freeway, just for a mile or two here and there to get a feel for it. Ear plugs are a must, especially with the puig screen. This summer I've been doing the tango with it on/off. I have gotten used to higher speeds without the windscreen, but if it were going to be a high speed ride for long periods, I'd definitely have it on. But in my most recent ride, 200 miles round trip I had it off because once we hit the Sierra's speeds would stay mostly below 50mph; plus I'm never really in a hurry.
    2016 Ducati Sixty2
    2016 Piaggio BV350

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by GREY.HOUND View Post
    yeah, hope you figure it out. I haven't had any issues to make it feel uncomfortable. Like I said, the freeway grooves are unnerving but on regular old black top roads I don't notice anything. With that said, I don't usually ride on the freeway, just for a mile or two here and there to get a feel for it. Ear plugs are a must, especially with the puig screen. This summer I've been doing the tango with it on/off. I have gotten used to higher speeds without the windscreen, but if it were going to be a high speed ride for long periods, I'd definitely have it on. But in my most recent ride, 200 miles round trip I had it off because once we hit the Sierra's speeds would stay mostly below 50mph; plus I'm never really in a hurry.
    Without the Puig long trips at interstate speeds can get quite tiresome. 4 hrs at 75+ mph can leave you pretty sore. Some roads here that have a prevailing wind will limit you to 65 mph without the Puig while with it I can run at 75 mpg per GPS reading with throttle to spare.

apriliaforum Member
    Exactly Rockynv. That's how I feel about the windscreen. It's nice to ride without it under 50 or for short rides but high speeds or long distance it just isn't fun.
    2016 Ducati Sixty2
    2016 Piaggio BV350

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast