Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Derbi--The Red Power

Talking Little bits of daily progress

The Silver bike is cleaning up nicely. The Motul E10 really does the job. It helps to clean things off a bit first, and then apply the Motul, but damn it makes things nice.

A midstream couple of photos of where things go.

Cleaning the Clocks

Time for Control

The Shiny

Wink Installation

Got a few more bits installed, and then I ran out of light so I had to wrap it up for today.

Wink Moichido

Today was more of the same really--lots of cleaning. I found so much wild life living in this bike. Lots of spiders, rodent action, and even a snail was living in there--it's practically its own ecosystem! I wonder if I'm ever going to get it all cleaned out.

I got them back this evening, but I had my stands over at Ed's place because that's where we've been working on my Track Bike. I wanted to swap the front wheels so I needed to come up with a solution. The jack stands were fine for the rear wheel, but they wouldn't be able to stabilize the bike if I put them under the forks--the road is just too uneven. So it was time for some Moto-Cross action. Yes I did pull off the pipe so that I could employ this method.

It's really starting to clean up nicely.

Today was the SF Dirt Bag Challenge. I've been to it previously. It's a great place to go if you want to inhale rubber. I didn't make it to this years event because I was working on the bikes, but some of my friends did. Afterwards they came by for a visit.

Talking Playing with electrons

Found the battery for the Red Bike today. So I got out the Ballistic charger, set it to Pb 2 amp, 12 volts, and started it up. Took about two hours to bring the battery to full charge. Then I installed it in the Silver bike. The light turned on with the key, but no love from the starter button.

I had way too much fun with the fucking autoluber today.

That Motul E10 looks like serious stuff. I have always said that the more dangerous the warnings are on the product, the better it works. What are you going to do with this new bike?

By the way did you see the Metrakit for sale in los angeles? Cool neat little bike.

Get your confidence back with Aprilia.

caution: the use of motorcycles may be habit forming. side effects include purchasing multiple examples of the same bike, in different states of tune, different years, or different models altogether. some motorcycles may be not running when purchased. some parts are no longer available. there are rare instances where aprilias are bought over the internet and upon arrival, they are not as were originally disclosed. there is a small group of people who cannot handle two stroke engines and motorcycle maintenance. if this is the case, you may not be a candidate for Aprilia RS250's.

Aprilia. Ask your doctor if the RS250 is right for you.

Cool Pre-GP

Yeah you have to use the E10 in a well ventilated space.

The Silver bike is going to take on the role of the Red bike. Some day the Red bike will return, but that will take a long time. So the Silver bikes gets the Red bike's wheels, and some other bits--the track bike got the Red bike's engine, pipe, carb, etc. The Red bike is mostly a frame now. But I had just gotten new front plastics for it, and some other bits so it's likely to Phenix at some point down the road.

I did start up the Silver bike today. It was really nice to hear a Derbi engine again. It's been way too long. Maybe tomorrow I'll take it for a spin. But it looks like the Autoluber is still leaking. Total pain in the ass--leaked out nearly a whole quart today. I should just remove the sucker, and go premix on this bike too. My two stroke Saab was pre-mix, my other bikes are pre-mix. I really don't need to be a total lazy fuck. I mean dude I can do the math in my head.

I didn't see the ad for the Pre-GP. Thanks for the alert. I'd really like to get one of those, and maybe stick a Derbi, or one of the 80cc Metra engines in it. I don't need a 125 to ride the cart tracks, and well a 125 GP bike isn't quite enough for the big tracks around here, so the Pre-GP would be even more out classed. Plus the big tracks are way way way outside my budget. It was awesome when the Rookies were riding these bikes. Because of that you see them pop up every once in a while. I've seen them in LA, Texas, SF, and the Mid-West. Metra also makes an 80cc version of the bike, and there are some folks that will help you get them over here. So maybe.

Name:  01111_3mHVTagOelb_600x450.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  22.2 KB
    Why do people take portrait photos of bike profiles?

Dude that thing would smoke a Ninja 250 ... and they run ninjettes everywhere. its the largest grid at almost every track everywhere.

caution: the use of motorcycles may be habit forming. side effects include purchasing multiple examples of the same bike, in different states of tune, different years, or different models altogether. some motorcycles may be not running when purchased. some parts are no longer available. there are rare instances where aprilias are bought over the internet and upon arrival, they are not as were originally disclosed. there is a small group of people who cannot handle two stroke engines and motorcycle maintenance. if this is the case, you may not be a candidate for Aprilia RS250's.

Red face The Little Spaniard

Oh shit E10 has isobutane! That will seriously fuck you up.

I don't think the Metra is that powerful. The Husky engine has 32hp, or something to that effect. It's a shit load for a little bike like that, but still doesn't compare to a motoGP 125--the Honda RS is a motoGP 125, although not up to spec with what Derbi was able to build, both of those, and the KTM would smoke the Metra. And the Metra doesn't have light wheels, amazing brakes, (I know because I have the same brakes and wheels on my GPR, they are good, but not amazing), and a host of other nice things that the motoGP bikes have. Don't get me wrong. I want one, even though I know I'd probaby have to pay twice as much as what I would have to pay to get a Honda RS125.

Ninjas? I thought we were talking about track bikes.

my 125 Homebrew embarrasses ninjettes...

Racing SERVICE Competition Steve / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mattology View Post

By the way did you see the Metrakit for sale in los angeles? Cool neat little bike.
    Can you post a link? If it's still up, I'd like to daydream a little.

The Metrakit 80cc's are formidable. I once got my *ss handed to me in a CMRA race at Texas World by one of those while I was on our modded-to-within-an-inch-of-it's-life RS50/80. Amazing how much more a manufacturer can do out of the box than a determined garage modder.

By the way, great work ToraTora. I still have my GPR50/70. I try to race it once a year, I have a soft spot in my heart for those bikes.
    AF1 Racing, inc / ApriliaForum.com
    9900 North Interstate 35
    Austin, Texas 78753
    direct:512-459-3966 fax:512-482-8319

Currently:
    '97 RS125 Two Stroke

Previously:
    '00.5 Mille & '97 RS250.

Steve it's gone already it looks like. it was on los angeles craigslist.

Wink Spanish Lover

Steve out at the tracks I go to there's a kid named Max that races the Metra 50cc bike in a series in Europe. My friend wants to pick up one for his son. I'm told they can get them over here for about $3K. I'm not sure what they could get one of the 80cc bikes for, but if you are interested I get the info for you. In the mean time do not go to this link. There's no way a GPR/RS50 could compete with one of these Metrakit bikes. To fight them you'd have to get either a Honda RS chassis, or an RSW, RSA, TZ, etc. chassis, and stick in a AM6, or DB/EB engine. In Europe you could get a Conti, and there's one other that has slipped my mind.

With regards to the Derbi action, yeah thanks for the nice words. It really broke my heart to get the Red Bike all messed up by those idiots that ran it down. This Silver bike is a really nice place holder until I can resurrect the Red Bike. I'm still fighting Farmers over it. They are rat bastards.

Today was a great in America. I got to ride around on a Derbi again. It's been a lot of work to get the Silver Bike ready to ride. It did pretty well too. Still lots of little things to work out--like that nasty little autoluber action, but that's okay.

Yesterday I filled up the oil take with some tasty Motul 710 (the good stuff for injectors). Then I walked down to the gas station to get some gas. Came back to find this huge oil puddle under the bike. Turns out that the hose connecting the tank to the pump had split. It was a nightmare to get it under control. But eventually I did. Here's the fixed up version.

Then this morning I noticed it was still leaking! What the hell is with these damn autolubers? Turns out this time it was the line to the carb had cracked at the end of the inlet. So as a temp fix I pulled the line, cut it at the split and put it back on the bike. What a mess--it gets all over everything.

While riding today the Silver Bike made it to the Miku mile 39--サンキュ.

I stopped by Treats to grab a few things. While there I got to see a vintage Derbi moped. For those of you that have yet to figure it out Derbi is the Campeona del mundo. Long live the Red Power.

Quote Originally Posted by ToraTora View Post

Spain is where it's at these days. They've got great riding weather and a successful ladder system for developing young riders into MotoGP and WSB superstars. It only makes sense that the #1 website for online classified advertisements in Spain would be loaded with fun toys to ogle. I love all this minimoto, pre-GP and GP stuff. Not to spoil your thread, but here are some other fun websites to explore when you've got some time to waste

http://www.gpmotorbikes.com/
    http://www.oldracer50cc.it/forsale.php
    http://www.igkoenigsklasse.de/index....&Itemid=100011
    http://www.vendominimoto.it/categorie.php?categ=19
    http://www.grcmoto.com/
    http://www.metrakititalia.com/velocita/
    http://www.rmumoto.com/
    http://www.rmuracing.com/
    http://www.rmuracing.com.au/
    http://www.motoriseven.it/mini-gp/

Oh please add all the cool stuff you want. Although it seems to me that the Track/race stuff would be better placed in my Track Bike thread, but it's cool here too!

I'm really hoping to go to Spain next year. Depends on how things go, but I'm very hopeful at this point in time.

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast