Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking at a 2012 DD1200 and have a few questions

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I had planned to go Tuesday to look at and ride some of the bikes on my short list in order to narrow it down and get ready to make the purchase.

I had recently sold my 2007 Ducati ST3 and my 2007 Suzuki DR-Z400SM and wanted to replace both of them with one bike that was closer to the Super Moto but with more power.

As one local dealer had three of the bikes on the list I started with him. They have about an eleven mile test ride loop that consists of some interstate, some twisties, and some city roads.

The first bike I rode was the 2013 KTM 690 Duke while they serviced the 2012 DD1200.
    The KTM is a fantastic bike for my type of riding. It is amazingly light and with a 67 HP 690 cc single pretty responsive. I felt the brakes and suspension were very good. It was really uncanny to be able to ride a 690cc single at freeway speeds and see clearly in the rear view mirror. This bike would have no doubt been up to the riding tasks I was looking to subject it to. Other than its pretty steep price I couldn’t find any real faults with it. Taking off the seat to change modes seems a little behind times though that certainly wouldn’t have been a cause to not buy it.

Next up was the 2012 DD1200.When I sat on this bike in the showroom I didn’t feel comfortable on it. To me it seemed top heavy and awkward. It was very easy to feel that it was about 150 pounds heavier than the KTM Duke. On the 11 mile test loop it didn’t endear itself to me anymore than it did on the showroom. In my 46+ years of riding I have had a number of muscle and sport bikes. Power wise the DD1200 certainly ranks up there with them but I was looking for a whole package and not just brute power. As much as I wanted to like the bike, its 130 hp and its $2,000+ discount I knew I would not be happy with it.

By the time I got back from the test ride on the 2012 DD1200 they had service one of the 2014 DD750s they got in last week (the red one at my request). Just sitting on it on the showroom floor it felt much lighter than the DD1200 when leaning from side to side. On the 11 mile test ride the perceived greater lightness became even more pronounced. I greatly enjoyed the ride, much more so than the DD1200 ride. I haven’t looked at any dyno charts so I certainly can’t say but it seemed to me that the DD750 had more useable torque in the 3-4 thousand RPM range.

I had intended to just ‘look at’ and ‘ride’ those three and then check out the 2013 Ducati 821 Hyper. However, my wife mentioned that she had picked up the check book. We went for lunch and I was going to give the KTM and the DD750 another ride in their sport modes. As the plate was still on the DD750 I took it first. After the interstate section when I was on the twisty section I knew there was no use in putting anymore miles on the KTM.

He gave me a little over $500 off on the 2014 DD750 and with its $2,000 discount the DD1200 was about $500 more. As I was considering the Ducati 821 Hyper which is about $3,000 more the cost of the Aprilias wasn’t a real consideration. At 65 I doubt if I will buy another new bike so I wanted to make sure that whatever I bought would give me the fun factor I was looking for. Truthfully, if both bikes had been priced the same or even if the DD750 had been $500 more I would have still bought the DD750.

There is absolutely no doubt that the DD1200 has much more power and for those who want that extra power (and the weight that comes with it) then it is certainly a fine bike for them. Likewise there is no doubt that the DD750 is FOR ME a much more enjoyable bike to ride bike. To me the DD750 did not seem to be about 100 pounds heavier than the KTM and only about 50 pounds lighter than the DD1200.

It usually takes me some miles to get in synch with a new bike but I found myself getting there on the way home. We’ve had some torrential rains and I’ve only got about 150 miles on it thus far so it’s much too early to form solid opinions. However, at this point I’d have to say that it’s definitely up there with the most fun street bikes I have ever owned, even on a one hand list.

Thanks again to all those who offered input. I did get an Aprilia Dorsoduro, just not a 1200.
    FJ

Fast Jimmy FYI I've had both the 750 DD and now the 1200 DD. The 1200 stomps the 750 in every way except the extra weight. Especially down low. The DD1200 even has more torque down low then the Touno V4, up till 9500 rpm. But the touno will will really pour it on from there! I suspect the 1200 you drove had less then 625 miles on it, because the ECU will not give full power until past that point. But, you can't go wrong with the 750! Its a brilliant bike and most reliable bike I've ever owned.
    2011 Dorsoduro 1200

Welcome, and congratulations on a very good choice of bike. A must have, is The "fatduc". the literally transform injection to almost perfectly. read this:

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...uning-solution
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...uc-alternative

My friend owns a 1200, and I must say (as you) the 750 is a much more enjoyable bike.

//R
    -------------------------------------------
    English is not my spoken language,
    so be patient if it does not get quite right all the times ...

Husaberg FE 570 -09
    Husqvarna Nuda 900 r -12
    Dorsoduro 750 -08
    RXV 550 -07
    Husqvarna WR 250 -06
    Skyteam 125 (Honda DAX Replica)
    Gilera Runner 180cc -99
    -------------------------------------------
    previously bikes

Falco Fighter -00
    Honda VFR 750 F -90
    aprilia SR 125 -00
    Honda XR 400 -97
    Honda VF 400 F -84
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/sssnrc

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Congrats Fast Jimmy! Always good to have a new toy.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Jimmy View Post

By the time I got back from the test ride on the 2012 DD1200 they had service one of the 2014 DD750s they got in last week (the red one at my request). Just sitting on it on the showroom floor it felt much lighter than the DD1200 when leaning from side to side. On the 11 mile test ride the perceived greater lightness became even more pronounced. I greatly enjoyed the ride, much more so than the DD1200 ride. I haven’t looked at any dyno charts so I certainly can’t say but it seemed to me that the DD750 had more useable torque in the 3-4 thousand RPM range.
    I find this part really surprising. I just traded 750 for 1200 and its completely at odds with my experience. I loved the 750 but I found it really was not a happy engine at anything below 4k especially from stock. Rough running and inconsistent. Fatduc improved things somewhat but one of the main reasons I traded for 1200 was that I always had to screw the nuts out of it to get it going anywhere.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    vladp;
    Lanter pointed out to me that actual dyno figures show that the DD1200 has more torque than the 750 at all ranges so obviously I was in error about the torque and it would appear that it was just an anomaly on these two specific bikes, but I wasn't in error about the extra weight of the 1200.

Granted that an eleven mile ride won't give a total picture of a bike's characteristics, more like a snapshot. However, after 47+ years of riding and ownership of a couple dozen bikes I can get a pretty good feel for what the potential is in that distance, especially when the test loop was as varied as it was.

Other commitments have prevented me from getting to ride the bike as much as I would have liked to by this time and I have only put about 330 miles on it thus far and I am VERY pleased with the bike and enjoy it more each time I ride it.

At this stage in my life it is the perfect bike for what I want for my type of riding. It's fun and for me that's what I want in a bike.

I never meant to imply that the DD 750 was a better choice than the DD 1200 for everyone. Individual bikers are different and have different requirements. For me it was really not a choice between the two after sitting on and then riding both of them and with every mile I put on the bike the validity of that decision, for me, is reinforced.

There was a time in my bike life that I wouldn't have given a 750 a second glance. However, now I ride solely for my own enjoyment with no real desire to have the most powerful and fastest bike. If I were still in that mode I probably wouldn't have even looked at an Aprilia to begin with.

FJ
    Last edited by Fast Jimmy; 07-21-2013 at 08:56 PM.

Fast Jimmy, there is no better or worst! Only what we personally like. The 750 is a brilliant bike and my old 750 was the most reliable bike I've owned. Good luck with the Dorso
    2011 Dorsoduro 1200

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I didn't say that 750 is any way inferior to 1200. I think 750 is a great bike, especially the factory which I had. The weight difference on 1200 is definitely noticeable though I think 1200 carries the weight quite well and neither is what you would call light. I was commenting specifically on the rideability in 3k-4k rpm range. Above 4k mine was a great responsive engine. Below 4k it was sluggish, surging and inconsistent especially without fatduc. I don't regret trading for 1200 but its obviously just a personal preference.

apriliaforum Member jstuntlocke's Avatar
    Other commitments have prevented me from getting to ride the bike as much as I would have liked to by this time and I have only put about 330 miles on it thus far and I am VERY pleased with the bike and enjoy it more each time I ride it.

At this stage in my life it is the perfect bike for what I want for my type of riding. It's fun and for me that's what I want in a bike.

FJ
    Good deal!
    I've enjoyed reading through your decision making process in this thread. Only person that needs to be happy with your choice ultimately is you!

Where are you at in middle Tn? I am in Nashville area... I can give you my contact info if you'd like to meet up and get out for a ride.

Congrats on the new bike!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Jason,
    I sent a PM with my contact info.
    I'm about 70 miles due south of Nashville just off I65.
    There are some really great twisty roads in the area if you can slip away sometime.
    I finally got past the 1,000 mile mark a few days ago with a little 115+ mile jaunt through Petersburg - Lynchburg - Shelbyville. Roads almost deserted in the weekday afternoons.

FJ

apriliaforum prov-nov
    before I saw you went with the 750 i was going to say, if you want a SM style sportbike with a great power to weight ratio, wait for the KTM 1290 SD

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by cccolin View Post
    before I saw you went with the 750 i was going to say, if you want a SM style sportbike with a great power to weight ratio, wait for the KTM 1290 SD
    If it ever made it into production it would be WAY more dollar$$$ than I would spend on a bike this late in life.
    I'll leave them to you younger bikers.
    FJ

Fast Jimmy

I have now covered 24,500 miles on my 750 DD and its a great bike. Your comparrison between teh Ducati and the DD is a bit misinformed though. The 10000 kms service for the DD only includes inspections only and no replacement parts are required, not even engine oil and filter. Oil changes and valve clearances etc are done every 20,000 kms

Enjoy your 750 DD it really is a great bike.

As for its short availability of the 1200 model, Aprilia have said that they dropped the model in Europe as it was to close tot eh new Caponord 1200. Many parts are shared between these bikes including engine and frame so parts availability should not be a problem in the future.

As fort the new KTM 1290, what a bike that is, had a test ride last week and it was awesome (130 mph and still pulling hard), but for me the engine power was just to much of a threat to my driving license

Keith C
    Last edited by keithc; 09-06-2013 at 02:24 AM.
    1982 GL1100 Goldwing
    2006 Suzuki Vstrom 1000GT
    2009 Dorsoduro
    2013 Caponord (from 28/9/13)
    https://www.fuelly.com/driver/mzride...ord?fu=6456444

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Keith C;
    At only about 1,150 miles I've got a lit of catching up to do before I even get close to your mileage.
    I hope my bike turns out to be as trouble free as yours has been.

I went back an re-read my older posts and was in error on the DD 1200 valve service intervals.

What KTM 1290 were you able to ride? I notice on the KTM GB web site it doesn't list any 1290 bikes available there either.

In the US we don't get near the offering of KTM models as you do. Our biggest Duke is the 690 and and we don't have any SM models available to us.

If we would have had the 990 Duke or the 990 SM offered I would most likely have bought one of them. I really liked the 680 Duke but wanted something bigger.

FJ

apriliaforum Member
    Lanter;
    Thanks for the input.

It is surprising that your friend's SF couldn't keep up with your DD1200 anywhere.
    With the advantage of a few HP and 55+ less pounds it should have been otherwise, at least on paper. Just goes to show that the real world isn't always confined to paper stats.

However, sheer speed performance is not as important to me as nimbleness in the twisties. I live out in the country in southern middle Tennessee USA and at the end of my 1/4 mile down my drive the fun starts with miles and miles of curvy back-roads. The DR-Z400SM that I sold yesterday was basically stock with the exception of air box and jetting changes. If I chose my roads I could keep up / keep ahead of bikes with far more horsepower. The 2007 ST3 I sold on Wednesday, like most Ducs, was a real curve carver. However, and I want to stress that I had to pick my roads, there were sections of my normal riding 'range' that I could get through faster on the SM.

After 46+ years of bikes I know that there is no real 'one bike does it all' so I have to decide what is the best compromise for my riding.

Shortly after I bought the ST3 my wife bought a Chrysler Crossfire Roadster Limited. Whenever I have a sunny afternoon free she wants to go for a car ride so the ST3 didn't get ridden much.

I can slip away for an hour or two much easier than several hours or even a full day so a SM bike generally covers my riding 'needs" (???).

I do have the 1985 VF1100S (V65 Sabre) when I want to unleash some real brute power (well for its day anyway) .

Like you say only a good test ride will show the real world potential of each bike.

Thanks again

FJ
    Hey Fast Jimmy. So what did you end up going with? I am another long time enthusiast (some say old fat bastard) and just got a very nice 2011 DD1200. I have only been out for a couple of quick zooms on the DD but have to say that I am very impressed all around. I too live right on a beautiful stretch of twisty road and have may miles of excellent and fun biking roads close by. The DD feels like a big dirtbike to me with crazy instantaneous power, beautiful sound and great suspension and brakes. I feel the design and fit and finish are excellent also. I don't think I will ever get tired of looking at it.
    I also have a Cagiva Gran Canyon 900 (Ducati engine) an old hotrod 85 Vmax with a PCW 1500 HO engine, as well as an ATK 605 Dualsport, so it would seem we have walked a similar path, bike wise. I also have a cluster of early Husqvarna dirtbikes, as well as some old Honda SL's awaiting a restore.
    The rareness of the Dorsoduro especially in the 1200 version, is actually a plus to me. We also have an excellent Aprilia dealer in Chilliwack Motorcycles locally so it is no harder to get service here than it is a Honda or a Harley. All in all I could not be happier with my DD 1200 and will likely keep it in the fleet for a very long time.. I hope that you also found a good bike for your intended purpose. Keep on riding....... Tom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12