Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaking gas cap: i want to make a new rubber ring

apriliaforum newb

Leaking gas cap: i want to make a new rubber ring

As some of you might know, leaking gas caps is a fairly common failure on the Aprilia's. When i have a full tank, and i accelerate too hard, fuel is leaking out of the fuel cap. Now, i found a company that can produce a new rubber ring (fuel proof), so i measured the thickness of the ring: 2,2millimeter.

My question now is, what size should i take instead of the original 2,2mm? I was thinking about 4,2mm, since there is also no tension on the fuel cap when i close it ony my Aprilia, while on other bikes i have to press the cap a bit down in order to close it and lock it with the key, so i think it's leaking because there is not enough tension on it and therefore fuel is leaking out.

Can't wait to hear you guys's ideas! Thanks.

The ring:

Most people just make a washer out of plastic / rubber or whatever (it doesnt need to be fuel proof as you place it between the existing seal and the tank cap - therefore it doesnt come into contact with fuel)

Some great threads on here that cover it (which i followed).......I made mine out of plastic from a curry takeaway tub ! - advantage of this is that you dont have to dismantle the fuel cap and risk breaking anything.

Make one of these:

Put it in here:

Now enjoy riding your bike...

Aprilia Tuono 1000R (2007) Black
    Triumph Tiger 800 XRX
    Suzuki RMX250

Previous:
    Ducati 996
    Honda XL125
    Kawasaki: Z550Ltd, GPZ900R, ZXR400, ZX6
    KTM 250MX (x2)
    Montessa 123 Cota
    Suzuki RM250MX
    Yamaha DT50MX (x2), FS1E

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks Felix, but what's a curry takeaway tub?

Curry is now our national dish.....

Chinese or Thai will work just as well... you know... proper english food....

Aprilia Tuono 1000R (2007) Black
    Triumph Tiger 800 XRX
    Suzuki RMX250

Previous:
    Ducati 996
    Honda XL125
    Kawasaki: Z550Ltd, GPZ900R, ZXR400, ZX6
    KTM 250MX (x2)
    Montessa 123 Cota
    Suzuki RM250MX
    Yamaha DT50MX (x2), FS1E

apriliaforum expert
    I think an extra 2mm will be too much. I cut out 3 rings using a coke can but could only squeeze 2 in, was way too tight with the third.

You have taken your ring off to take that photo, measure the gap on the cap that it slots in to.

You have a good idea but the standard ring is only a tiny bit too thin, most (like mine) were fine when new and only start leaking as the rubber gets older and a bit less flexible, pretty sure it won't take a whole extra 2mm to take up the slack. Maybe more like 1mm. But i am definitely not an expert.

6-7 fills on, my 2 ultra thin rings are still working though.

Good Luck.

apriliaforum newb
    There is a sticky about common maintenance issues and there's some info about a rubber o-ring (size and such) that you put behind the seal. I used that and haven't had an issue since. I think it cost me $.56.. look under the sticky "service question compendium." Lots of good info.

I bought a batch of the 'O' rings, here in the USA, I didn't come up with this fix, but have mailed out about 20 of these O rings to folks on this side of the 'Pond'.

Being a Brit/American, I'd love to help out the folks on the east side of the Atlantic. If one of you would be responsible for mailing these locally, I'd be more than happy to send a packet or two to that person. Pm me your address.
    Currently in my garage
    --------------------------
    '15 Ducati Panigale 1299S
    '15 Ducati Multistrada S (White)
    '12 Aprilia Tuono APRC (Yellow)
    '98 Yamaha R1
    '93 Bimota Db2
    '75 Honda CB400F

My Sons bikes
    '07 Ducati 1098S
    '08 KTM 250 XCW
    '05 Honda 650XR

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by jdthedude View Post
    There is a sticky about common maintenance issues and there's some info about a rubber o-ring (size and such) that you put behind the seal. I used that and haven't had an issue since. I think it cost me $.56.. look under the sticky "service question compendium." Lots of good info.
    Are you talking about the Yamaha O-ring with part number #93210-357A2? I have ordered this ring, so i will test with this. But now: this O-ring seems to be the same O-ring as i have now. Do i have to place the new O-ring over the excisting O-ring in the fuel cap? Or must it be like this: metal ring, O-ring, big rubber ring, the Yamaha O-ring, orange cap?

In the picture above, post #2, you place the O ring where felixdjb is placing the curry tub spacer. The O ring pushes the outer circumference edges of the black rubber seal, that his finger is on, down a little, which creates a better seal between the gas cap and the tank. The O ring acts as a spacer.
    Currently in my garage
    --------------------------
    '15 Ducati Panigale 1299S
    '15 Ducati Multistrada S (White)
    '12 Aprilia Tuono APRC (Yellow)
    '98 Yamaha R1
    '93 Bimota Db2
    '75 Honda CB400F

My Sons bikes
    '07 Ducati 1098S
    '08 KTM 250 XCW
    '05 Honda 650XR

I can vouch for the O-ring and for ChrisE. It works a charm and took all of 3 seconds to install! Thanks again Chris!

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
    In the picture above, post #2, you place the O ring where felixdjb is placing the curry tub spacer. The O ring pushes the outer circumference edges of the black rubber seal, that his finger is on, down a little, which creates a better seal between the gas cap and the tank. The O ring acts as a spacer.
    But, i already have an O-ring there. Is it right that i have to place two O-rings then? This is what i have now in my gas cap:

Can you tell me if these components are stock and if they lay in the correct order?
    Last edited by El Pollo Diablo; 05-15-2013 at 02:47 PM.

apriliaforum newb
    Can anyone please confirm that this order is right and this components are original?

apriliaforum newb
    Haven't been sitting still..

Just paid the local rubber company and the guy from it made two 1mm rings and four 3mm rings of gas-proof rubber and i just installed it. Have to clean the tank first, fill it up and test it, but it's raining now, so this has to wait

The newly made rubber rings are missing the little "edge", which the origineel ring has. Therefore, i made the two 1mm rings, in case the new 3mm ring leaks because of missing this edge. Then i can place the new 1mm ring beneath the original ring.

Few pics:

Making the rings:

Result:

4x 3mm, 2x 1mm and the original one on the front.

Installed: (order: first the original O-ring, then the metal ring, then the new 3mm ring, and last the orange/rode sealer):

apriliaforum expert londonsean69's Avatar
    Yeah, I'll stick with my 0.12 o-ring
    Sean

Stella Artois -
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayross66 View Post
    Your choice of lager flavoured drink is the natural choice for Tuono ownership, , high tar, full fat, high octane, ouch that fucking hedge hurt are all part of the Tuono experience so forgive me if i don't expect a balanced view.

apriliaforum newb
    Then this was cheaper....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast