Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dangerous suspension linkage - please read !!!!!!!!!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedieGTI View Post
    Were you able to do this without taking off the rear wheel?
    Also what year and mileage of your bike?

Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using Tapatalk
    Yeah. Put the bike on the lift, then on the rear stand. Hardened steel rod through the swingarm pivot held up with jack stands, then remove rear stand. Weight off rear suspension. Remove linkage plates. It was rather easy. 18K on the clock.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by kzmille View Post
    We've seen much worse than that here. Good that you serviced it but nothing worth worrying about there.

Why would you want to do this with the wheel on? Getting the wheel out of the way makes it so much easier.
    It was easy enough on a lift with jack stands and a rod through the swingarm pivot. Took about 30 minutes.

On the Englandshire side of the Welsh Border
    You Sir are a very fast worker.
    The quickest I've managed to pull that dog bone out and get it back in, is about an hour+.
    You did do BOTH ends of the dog bone?
    (It's no good doing just the one end, obviously)

apriliaforum expert
    I've yet to even consider the dogbone links. I have a 2008 with shy of 5k miles on it. Should I be worried and plan to replace it or leave it?

There have been a number of failures. No sign that aprilia has ever addressed the situation. It's a personal decision. I wouldn't ride a gen 2 RSVR or Tuono with the original plates.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU - remember Sandra Bland

Quote Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
    I've yet to even consider the dogbone links. I have a 2008 with shy of 5k miles on it. Should I be worried and plan to replace it or leave it?
    I cannot find any evidence online of a 2009 or 10 bike failing. My dealer looked at me like I was nuts when I expressed my concern. I think it's a good idea to have it done but it may also be a bit of the sky is falling too.

apriliaforum expert
    Sorry I should correct that, it's a 2009 not 2008.

They are fine until they are not.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU - remember Sandra Bland

apriliaforum newb
    How do you remove the bolt holding the front of the dog bone without removing the exhaust?

On the Englandshire side of the Welsh Border
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FZ1 View Post
    How do you remove the bolt holding the front of the dog bone without removing the exhaust?
    hahahahaaaaa......you usually can't.
    Good eh?
    It's not so tough.
    10mm socket, universal joint, 14-16" length extensions (1/4 in drive if you have it)
    With the back wheel and shock out, access is pretty good.
    You only need to loosen the header bolts a bit to give you the wiggle room.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedieGTI View Post
    I cannot find any evidence online of a 2009 or 10 bike failing. My dealer looked at me like I was nuts when I expressed my concern. I think it's a good idea to have it done but it may also be a bit of the sky is falling too.
    I wonder if your dealer will bother to visit you in hospital?
    Your bike is at least 6 years old, and a dog bone service is way overdue.
    They put zero grease on them in the factory...just a token amount that's provided by the bearing manufacturer.
    Consider looking for a new dealer that knows a little about Aprilia.
    Last edited by Tifa; 09-24-2016 at 05:15 PM.

apriliaforum newb
    I'm confused - is this a problem with an OEM Gen 2 Tuono part or with some aftermarket doodad?

This thread is about an aftermarket part but the OEM Gen 2 plates have failed catastrophically.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Just a thought on the linkplates.Would it be practical or feasible to just get some longer bolts and a second set of linkplates and "double up"the linkage?

I had my local Aprilia/Ducati dealership perform the rear linkage service and install my new af1 plates yesterday morning after debating on it for months. While there I saw on Facebook that some poor bloke across the pond had his actual dogbone bust on a ride that very morning! Happy to report that my bearings were not dry but they did regrease them and install the plates in an hour without removing the wheel or exhaust. The bike even feels better in the rear end, it's hard to explain but it's firm with no play and feels like the shock is more compliant. Maybe the stronger plates actually take out some of the side to side play in the swing arm that has also been leading to my exhaust scraping on the left side of the swingarm.

I was on the fence but so very glad that I got this work done. You handy types should be able to do this at home but for me it was worth the one hour of labor.

apriliaforum newb
    Hey Guys—Can anyone provided a step-by-step guide for servicing the rear suspension dog bone? I am replacing the link plates as a precaution. Some members have commented to service the dog bone at the same time, which makes sense. Questions I have are as follows. (1) Do I need to remove the seals to lube the needle bearings? (2) If seals need to be removed, should they be replaced with new seals? Or does one reuse the removed seals? (3) If necessary to remove seals, does this require a special tool? (4) Before lubing needle bearings, should I clean them for purposes of grease compatibility? (5) As I’ve not serviced bearings as this before, should I just remove the dog bone and take to a machine shop to have serviced? I would really appreciate the advice and help of someone who has previously done this servicing. Thanks!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast