Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dangerous suspension linkage - please read !!!!!!!!!

I've read countless posts about this issue online now and one thing sticks out to me. It seems that only the early years of the Gen 2 bikes had problems. Has anyone heard of a 2009 or 2010 Tuono having this rear suspension failure?

I think I read about 5 posts before I changed mine for the AF1 solid pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by jess67 View Post
    I think I read about 5 posts before I changed mine for the AF1 solid pieces.
    I find it interesting how quiet Aprilia was on the issue and the fact that I have seen zero reports of this occurring on a bike newer than a 2008. My local dealership knew about the few isolated cases but said that they've never seen one come into their shop. Better safe than sorry I'm sure but it really seems like Aprilia likely solved the issue with better parts in the later model years of this generation.

The pert number never changed throughout the production of gen 2 RSVR's and Tuono's. The parts were not visually different till the V4's were introduced. There were even reports of at least one V4 coming through with gen 2 plates. V4 plates are definitely of a new sturdier design.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU - remember Sandra Bland

The failure by years could simply be a result of overall sales numbers for the 2gen - 2006/2007 where by far the highest numbers, followed by 2008.

I think keeping the dog bone linkage bearings serviced with waterproof grease and correctly torqued is just as important as updating the linkage plates.

Apples and oranges. Maintenance is a given. The linkage should be completely disassembled and inspected every 15,000km. But there has never been any evidence that lack of maintenance had anything to do with the plate failures. It is a design flaw. Zero failures of any Gen 1 models or V4's. Use at your own risk.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU - remember Sandra Bland

Quote Originally Posted by kzmille View Post
    Apples and oranges. Maintenance is a given. The linkage should be completely disassembled and inspected every 15,000km. But there has never been any evidence that lack of maintenance had anything to do with the plate failures. It is a design flaw. Zero failures of any Gen 1 models or V4's. Use at your own risk.
    I agree better safe than sorry but even with the same part number there's a high likelihood that Aprilia found a new supplier or changed the metal make-up of the parts after the undisclosed lawsuit. They would not be the first company to do such a thing. I will have them replaced just to be safe.

The problem is dimensional, as in not enough metal. It's not the choice of alloy. They knew there was a problem and that is why the gen 2 plates are shot peened which was not done to gen 1 parts. Overall very few have failed. This could indicate that the failed examples had flaws outside the norm for the run of parts or that the failed examples were stressed to higher levels than the others. The safety margin is not there. All to save a few grams.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I just received the AF1 plates yesterday and they will be going on next Saturday. Surprisingly they don't seem any thicker but of course they are solid and thus should be stronger.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I performed this upgrade today. Linkage plates were gouged and the mount holes were wallowed out .030" (from caliper reading) and no longer cylindrical. And, needle bearings were dry as a bone.

I don't know if they would have ever fractured, but the fact the the needle bearings had so little grease was an eye opener. My two cents.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	linkage-01.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	242.9 KB 
ID:	315047
    Last edited by zcrews; 08-13-2016 at 07:15 PM.

What are the bolts and nuts like? I think I replaced 2 the last time I serviced. The grease applied in every area of the bike at assembly leaves a lot to be desired. If you add some wet weather riding and long periods betweens service, well...

Quote Originally Posted by zcrews View Post
    I performed this upgrade today. Linkage plates were gouged and the mount holes were wallowed out .030" (from caliper reading) and no longer cylindrical. And, needle bearings were dry as a bone.

I don't know if they would have ever fractured, but the fact the the needle bearings had so little grease was an eye opener. My two cents.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	linkage-01.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	242.9 KB 
ID:	315047
    Were you able to do this without taking off the rear wheel?
    Also what year and mileage of your bike?

Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using Tapatalk

We've seen much worse than that here. Good that you serviced it but nothing worth worrying about there.

Why would you want to do this with the wheel on? Getting the wheel out of the way makes it so much easier.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by jess67 View Post
    What are the bolts and nuts like? I think I replaced 2 the last time I serviced. The grease applied in every area of the bike at assembly leaves a lot to be desired. If you add some wet weather riding and long periods betweens service, well...
    The fasteners were fine. Agreed on the amount of lube.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast