Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Moto-Guzzi California 1400 Custom

Quote Originally Posted by rnqubain View Post
    Guys, do you think i need an engine guard for my California 1400 Custom?
    The spark plug protector? probably not. I bet Pete Roper would have a good regard for the situation.

DungeonMaster
    #1 Forum Magic Missile Caster

"I rode a Griso at when I used to work for Aprilia City in Melbourne. Probably the nicest bike ever" - Cosaro

1972 Laverda SF 750
    2007 Moto Guzzi Griso 1100
    2003 Moto Guzzi California Titanium 1100 - for sale

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by mpascuzzo View Post
    Thanks Pete. Ed at AF1 sent me a link for the Agostini exhaust that they will have in soon. I didn't really like the way they looked. They did sound good. Are the Lafranconi the pipes that are in the California accessory catalog? If so, I like the look of those I just don't think that anyone has them in stock yet. At least I haven't found them.

Mark
    Hi Mpascuzzo, just curious, why would you need different pipes than the ones on the original California 1400 Custom?

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Racing View Post
    If it were mine I would not do the engine guard, I like the looks of the bike better without it...
    I agree that the looks are better without, but I am concerned with safety since this is my first bike ever and am afraid it might fall on my legs with no engine guards. what do you think Micah?

rnqubain....I don't think I have ever owned a bike that I didn't put aftermarket exhaust on. I do it for a couple of reasons. Probably the most important is that a free flowing system will help the motor breathe better in most cases. The stock silencers restrict the motors ability to breath in most cases. By opening the flow you can normally gain some performance advantages. The other reason is that I enjoy the sound of a great motor. The Guzzi configuration has it's own unique sound and when un-capped sounds great.

It is just a personal preference. The sound of a V-Twin....especially a European Twin....is just plain soothing to the ears.

Hope that helps.

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    We just got pipes in for the Cali 1400...can't wait to test a bike before and after!

Yes, if this is your first bike ever the crash guards are probably a pretty good idea. They do help in the common newbie type of really slow or stopped fall over. It happens to us all, especially in the early years of riding, why not be ready for what is 99% likely to happen....especially while pulling into the petrol station.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Throw a set on so I can drool some.
    Bikes:
    2007.5 Tuono-Black, with 1102cc's of micah's badness!
    2012 Griso-Silver and black, Agostini pipe, some carbon bits.
    2006 Vespa GT200-bitubo suspension all around, Malossi big-bore, head and cam, Akrapovic pipe, all put together by Micah.

gone 2002 Caponord-Oyster gray (as faithful as a hound dog)
    gone Futura-Red (on the AF1 showroom floor. Get some.)

The more I learn about people, the more I appreciate rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Racing View Post
    We just got pipes in for the Cali 1400...can't wait to test a bike before and after!

yes yes yes, want to see... also, could you at some point give us some graphs of rain vs touring vs veloce modes as far as torque and HP go? I wonder if touring and veloce wouldn't be the same, just a quick throttle difference. I'll bet only rain mode is substantially different, and even that may not be more than a throttle stop type thing. all done of course through the magic of computers...
    2014 California 1400 Touring ABS in White
    Eldorado w/Automatic Trans circa 1972 in Black
    Looking for California 1400 only discussions:
    guzzicalifornia.forumcircle.com

As soon as I get one in for some fun tuning work you can bet your ass I will do a full write up, and testing session, I am very intrigued for some reason by the new Cali.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Micah....I committed to Ed on the pair of Stainless. He is going to put the black pair on your demo and send me some pics but I think the transaction will happen today. Once I put them on and get a few more miles on the bike, I will bring it in to you for service and we can start to play......I live in Houston so maybe a little pressed for time, but we can work it out I am sure.

This gonna be fun...hopefully with a little work we can make more than just extra noise! Got a good feeling about this one!

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

With the fitting of engine protection bars of some sort it really depends on how and where they mount coupled with the sort of crash they are going to protect stuff from.

With the 8V Guzzi motor you are rather hamstrung in regards to 'Head protection' devices. Older pushrod engined bikes could be fitted with what are known as 'Rocker Protection Bars' that mounted to the rocker cover bolts. As the name implies they were there to protect the rockers themselves, it was always taken as a given that in anything other than a stationary or very low speed drop you were going to loose a rocker cover, plug and a few fins. The bars were just there to protect the rockers themselves in the event of an embarrassing car park incident! With the 8v the rocker covers bolt directly to the camboxes. This means there is no way to add rocker protection bars and if you did design something that bolted on to the four rocker cover bolts crash loadings would be transferred straight to the camboxes themselves. Exactly the opposite to what you want! Matters are further complicated on the 1400 because it has the 'Toaster' covers over the rocker covers themselves. A cosmetic addition they DO allow the addition of rocker protection bars BUT since they would mount to the rocker cover covers an they mount to the rocker covers which in turn still mount to the camboxes you will still end up with dangerous loadings on them in the event of a drop.

The alternative is frame mounted crash bars. These are all well and good but one has to remember that in the event of any drop at anything other than quite low speed significant loadings will be imposed on the frame of the motorbike and the possibility of deforming it is very real. Once again they will work fine with a stationary or low speed drop but doing a cost analysis on the price of a damaged bar vs. the cost of a rocker cover, (Or rocker cover cover!) may come out as a zero sum game and adding a bar adds weight and can reduce cornering clearance on some machines.

At the end of the day the very best protection you can offer yourself and your bike is fully comprehensive insurance coupled with care and common sense. Any bike dropped at much over walking pace will suffer extensive and expensive damage. This is particularly true of Guzzis with their cylinders hanging out in the breeze. Always concentrate on what you are doing, especially in a big, heavy and comparatively powerful bike, and remember! Every other bastard on the road is out to kill you! Ride accordingly!

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

Logical people...I swear.
    A mind is like a parachute: It doesn't work if it isn't open. FZ

When dictatorship is a fact, revolution becomes a right. Victor Hugo

So, the fear of death might be described as the fear of not being able to become whom one had planned to be. Pascal Mercier

I always thought that guzzis crashed decently. 90+ years of building bikes has given the factory some decent corporate experience. when I raced, I found that head guards that bolt on the valve cover worked decently except for that extreme instance where they wiped out the valve cover fins plugs, the works. Things like shitty little 35mm forks that bent before the frame, and steering stops that would bend before the frame were both "frame protection features" in my eyes. On inspection of the Cal 14, the crashbar is attached at the bottom to two steel plates welded to the frame. looks like they wil bend before the frame, and should they get pranged it looks like someone good with a torch could apply enough heat to straighten them. I think of the valve cover "cover" as a consumable item, but if you are really paranoid, there is always the accessory catalog:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	222802

Quote Originally Posted by pete roper View Post
    With the fitting of engine protection bars of some sort it really depends on how and where they mount coupled with the sort of crasah they are going to protect stuff from.

With the 8V Guzzi motor you are rather hamstrung in regards to 'Head protection' devices. Older pushrod engined bikes could be fitted with what are known as 'Rocker Protection Bars' that mounted to the rocker cover bolts. As the name implies they were there to protect the rockers themselves, it was always taken as a given that in anything other than a stationary or very low speed drop you were going to loose a rocker cover, plug and a few fins. The bars were just there to protect the rockers themselves in the event of an embarrassing car park incident! With the 8v the rocker covers bolt directly to the camboxes. This means there is no way to add rocker protection bars and if you did design something that bolted on to the four rocker cover bolts crash loadings would be transferred straight to the camboxes themselves. Exactly the opposite to what you want! Matters are further complicated on the 1400 because it has the 'Toaster' covers over the rocker covers themselves. A cosmetic addition they DO allow the addition of rocker protection bars BUT since they would mount to the rocker cover covers an they mount to the rocker covers which in turn still mount to the camboxes you will still end up with dangerous loadings on them in the event of a drop.

The alternative is frame mounted crash bars. These are all well and good but one has to remember that in the event of any drop at anything other than quite low speed significant loadings will be imposed on the frame of the motorbike and the possibility of deforming it is very real. Once again they will work fine with a stationary or low speed drop but doing a cost analysis on the price of a damaged bar vs. the cost of a rocker cover, (Or rocker cover cover!) may come out as a zero sum game and adding a bar adds weight and can reduce cornering clearance on some machines.

At the end of the day the very best protection you can offer yourself and your bike is fully comprehensive insurance coupled with care and common sense. Any bike dropped at much over walking pace will suffer extensive and expensive damage. This is particularly true of Guzzis with their cylinders hanging out in the breeze. Always concentrate on what you are doing, especially in a big, heavy and comparatively powerful bike, and remember! Every other bastard on the road is out to kill you! Ride accordingly!

Pete
    2014 California 1400 Touring ABS in White
    Eldorado w/Automatic Trans circa 1972 in Black
    Looking for California 1400 only discussions:
    guzzicalifornia.forumcircle.com

Max Lean Angle / Administrator Ed / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.JPG.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	170.7 KB 
ID:	222803Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.JPG.JPG 
Views:	261 
Size:	177.8 KB 
ID:	222804Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.JPG.JPG 
Views:	1253 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	222805the new Agostini Cali 1400 pipes rumble.....mmmmm.

You will find the black satin finish wears nicely. Looks cool.
    Bikes:
    2007.5 Tuono-Black, with 1102cc's of micah's badness!
    2012 Griso-Silver and black, Agostini pipe, some carbon bits.
    2006 Vespa GT200-bitubo suspension all around, Malossi big-bore, head and cam, Akrapovic pipe, all put together by Micah.

gone 2002 Caponord-Oyster gray (as faithful as a hound dog)
    gone Futura-Red (on the AF1 showroom floor. Get some.)

The more I learn about people, the more I appreciate rocks.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast