Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dangerous aftermarket suspension linkage - please read !!!!!!!!!

apriliaforum Member

Dangerous aftermarket suspension linkage - please read !!!!!!!!!

http://www.soupysperformance.com/cat...00/8529093.htm

This is the link to a product that I have bought that has failed on me. I have since had it examined at by 3 separate engineers and all 3 have immediately told me that the product is not fit for purpose purely by design. This failed on me at 110mph. It was sold to me by the company as being as strong if not stronger than the original with no breakages to date. This product is unsafe because of its design. The original aprilia suspension linkage fails through lack of maintenance expanding the joint around the bearings through corrosion. This fails because the mounting points are not in line. There is approximately 80kg or weight on the back wheel of an aprilia and aproximately 70 kg or weight on top of that with one rider. Combine that with say hitting a bump an 100mph the weight applied to the back wheel is massive. If you combine that with length of the swing arm the forces applied to the link are absolutely tremendous and the forces applied to this link are at an angle because the mounting points are not in line. Any engineer can do the maths for you and tell you that its not fit for purpose. This product has not being tests correctly at all.

The standard aprilia suspension links normally break on you, if they break that is, when you are going reasonalby slow. This will not break until you are going really fast. I broke this link and I was one up after it had only been fitted to the bike for a amount of short time.

I have emailed the company 2 times now and they haven't even bothered to reply after nearly costing me my life and selling me a product that is not fit for purpose. Anyone who has one of these fitted should remove it and replace it with the standard one as it will break on you at some point.

The bikes back tire has melted though the friction caused going 110mph down to a standstill, the rear carbon hugger is shagged and my fariing underneath has all the paint taken off it and is gouged out now. That and the fact that I nearly died 2 days ago. I am not very happy

Avoid this product like the plague as it will break on you at some point otherwise you risk serious injury or even death. Pass this message on to as many sites in your county as possible to limit anyone getting hurt. I have been advised by members of other Aprilia forums in the UK and trading standards to post this around as many forums over there and elsewhere to get the word out to hopefully save this happening to some of you or anyone else.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by albrown001; 05-07-2013 at 05:50 PM.

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...saster-averted

Link to another thread about this VERY serious situation, thankfully it was spotted in time, but just barely!

This is how close it came to breaking in the turn one area at Texas World Speedway at the trackday we hosted there!

I will cross post this link to original thread, this is a serious issue if you have one of these things on your bike. It replaces the stock strong as hell dogbone in the linkage!
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

apriliaforum Member
    http://www.nhtsa.gov/Contact

Can you put in a complaint to the above people please and anyone else that has one of these. I have emailed them but because I am from the UK no one in the US gives a toss. I've survived afghan and iraq many times and nearly get written off by some idiot more interested in making money. I just can't believe it. If I lived in the US I would be in my car crossing states now to kick the blokes head in. These are dangerous, not fit for purpose and need to be withdrawn immediately before someone gets seriously hurt or even killed.

My one broke at 110mph and I stared death in the face. I was lucky. Someone else might not be. It might not just be themselves who gets hurt or killed. There might also be other people. Its just not good enough.

Try to get this actioned if you can please m8, and try to get as much support from people over there as you can find. Any good engineer will be able to tell you its not fit for purpose by design. If you can get this product withdrawn immediately by the company, maybe with full refunds would be a good start, but getting it discontinued is the first thing. I also think that damage to peoples bikes like mine should also be compensated by them too. The fact that I am outside the US should have no bearing on their product being sold internationally. They are at fault and the US trading standards should enforce it and I need all of your help to get it done. Thanks
    Last edited by albrown001; 05-07-2013 at 06:57 PM.

apriliaforum Member
    I know that I nearly lost my life over this but Soupy has emailed me back. He seems quite accommodating about it which is fair of him and nice as I am very upset about the whole matter and it takes quite a lot of stress out of the whole situation. I will let you all know how things go and how things pan out. Hopefully we can come to an agreement, get the product withdrawn and that will be that.

Holy shit! You came out of that well, considering. Unbelievable.
    Bikes:
    2007.5 Tuono-Black, with 1102cc's of micah's badness!
    2012 Griso-Silver and black, Agostini pipe, some carbon bits.
    2006 Vespa GT200-bitubo suspension all around, Malossi big-bore, head and cam, Akrapovic pipe, all put together by Micah.

gone 2002 Caponord-Oyster gray (as faithful as a hound dog)
    gone Futura-Red (on the AF1 showroom floor. Get some.)

The more I learn about people, the more I appreciate rocks.

apriliaforum newb
    holy shit i was looking at getting one of them the other day,im so glad you posted this up ,thanks for the info
    thank f***k you had a safe outcome i hope they withdraw this asap,to be honest now youve posted the pic of it snapping you can see how it is under stress in the wrong area ,i would say they need to recall all of these

apriliaforum Member
    I think that the email that I got back from Soupy's is balls. I don't think he has any intention of even giving me the money back for the link. I don't think that he has any intention of doing anything about it at all. Meanwhile he is still selling the links. I have taken the link to a number of engineers now who have examined and they are furious about the design of it, as there is no way that it is capable of taking the forces involved. This needs to be stopped and it needs to be stopped in the US at the source. I have 2 documented cases now where people have been killed by the two plates braking on gen 2's where the suspension has collapsed going round corners. When this link breaks, which it will, the suspension collapses just the same. I have a number of cases now, over here and over in the US and elsewhere where this link has failed. You don't need an accident claim, or have bought the link and had it failed on you to stop this item getting produced anymore. Any engineer can do it, its not hard, its basic mathematics and physics that you do at school. Someone in the US or even a group of you in the US need to go to US trading standards and get this product stopped before someone get seriously hurt or killed.

Its really good of you to bring it to the attention of the members and I will post on ridersite the link.
    Firstly I would like to say I am glad that you are not hurt and although shook up and annoyed at the company for their bad attitude if you want to call it you are in one piece.
    Good luck with your claim against the company al and keep us updated with what happens.

The same company makes an adjustable linkage for 1st gen bikes as well so I think they would be a no go as well..
    "What ever you do right will be correct"

Current Bike. 2002 RSV Mille R

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blinkey501 View Post
    Its really good of you to bring it to the attention of the members and I will post on ridersite the link.
    Firstly I would like to say I am glad that you are not hurt and although shook up and annoyed at the company for their bad attitude if you want to call it you are in one piece.
    Good luck with your claim against the company al and keep us updated with what happens.
    Thank You.

All that I am interested in at the moment is trying to get this link banned and all the other links that are of the same design where the forces on the link are not in a straight line that this company manufactures. The links are not strong enough. The only way that I can get this stopped and banned from being sold, is by people in the US taking legal action through whatever US Trading Standards government agencies it takes. It does not matter how many emails I send or UK Trading Standards send and to who we send them to in the US, they will all get ignored.

The only way that this is going to get stopped and to save people from getting hurt is for people on the forums, like this one, in the US, to do something about it. You need to get all the people that have bought this link in the US (and there are a lot) who have had it fail on them and put in an official, legal complaint and get it banned along with the other links of the same design that the company is selling. If the US Trading Standards agencies do their job properly and investigate correctly with a qualified engineer the manufacturing techniques, that company will be found liable and will be sued for a lot of money and so they should be. There is no excuse for products like this being on the market.

They have had their chance to do something about it and obviously are not going to, unless someone over there in the US does something about it, then this is just going to go on and on and more people are going to get hurt. You are going to see these links up for sale until something is done about it and it has to be done within the US. THATS BECAUSE ITS THE LAW and thats the way that it is. IF IT IS NOT ACTIONED WITHIN THE US IT WILL NOT GET ACTIONED. CAN SOMEONE OVER THERE PLEASE GET THIS ACTIONED? This isn't a game and someone is going to get seriously injured (and it might not just be the motorcyclist) or even killed. Thank You

Wow, talk about scary!
    2013 Aprilia RSV4 Factory SE

Aprilia RSV4 & Tuono V4 Owners Facebook Group
    Digital Sky Design (My Web Design Company)
    My Facebook Profile

apriliaforum expert GreaseSnake's Avatar
    They make the same design dogbone for the RSV4 too...

I've posted this info on the Swedish owners club.
    (2000Mille, 2008 Tuono Factory, 2007 Tuono R, 2007 Tuono Factory, 2014 Tuono V4R aprc abs, 2000 RS250 MK2, 2008 RXV450) Current. ??? ...coming 2020.

That link was never designed by an engineer, some one with machining skills dreamed that one up and put no thought into the stresses involved. I have my doubts about the adjustable side stand aswell, those allen bolts look too easy to over tighten and either strip the thread or put too much side pressure on the leg.
    But what do I know I work in wood!
    FUCK THE MAGS

Never live the same day twice. (My wife nearly pissed her self laughing when she read my signature line, because she reckons she has never met anyone in the whole of her life who hates change more than me) She does have a point .

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FTM View Post
    That link was never designed by an engineer, some one with machining skills dreamed that one up and put no thought into the stresses involved. I have my doubts about the adjustable side stand aswell, those allen bolts look too easy to over tighten and either strip the thread or put too much side pressure on the leg.
    But what do I know I work in wood!
    Yes you are right. Glad you can see that. You don't even have had to have bought one of these links to be able to get them stopped from being produced. Any engineer can prove that and I am hoping that people are starting to see that now. The company has no argument at all and do not have a leg to stand on. All it would take is for anyone in the US to launch a complaint to the relevant US Trading Standards Government Agency it takes to get these product banned. It has to originate in the US as the products are being sold online. That is the loop hole that the company is exploiting to get round the law so they cannot be held responsible. That is why noting can be done against this company from outside the US.

Basically you can manufacture whatever you want you can legally sell it online and you cannot be held responsible if you have sold it outside your own county, particularly from sites like ebay, unless for instance you are in an EU county to EU county or US to US state. Then you could be held responsible. The same would go for a company from the EU selling to the US. You wouldn't be able to do anything about it as US law is not EU law. Stupid isn't it? You have all these people in agencies that are supposed to police stuff like this happening and they don't do anything about it. Meanwhile people are just going to continue to have accidents like I did until it can be stopped.

AND IT HAS TO BE STOPPED IN THE US so need all of you to do it something about it and to save other people from having any further accidents. That is why it is on the forum. There is no point in putting stuff like this on here, all of us talking to each other and helping each other out if we aren't going to do anything about it.

GET TOGETHER AND GET THIS STOPPED. IT'S NOT HARD TO DO. Start writing letters and emails to agencies and get these products banned. Speak to legal advice as YOU WILL be entitled to compensation if you have had this link fail on you and screw the company. They are playing with your life and other people lives at yours and others expense.

JUST GET IT BANNED

apriliaforum expert Aladinsaneuk's Avatar
    Sounds silly but how did you pay for it?

If by credit card you may have redress

I think you can also bring an action through American courts even as an none USA citizen
    www.ridersite.com - UK home of the Falco Community

witty banter and sarcasm available for all....

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast