Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Futura and Rain

apriliaforum expert Robert Borchert's Avatar
    Rain? No worries.

I've yet to hear of an aprilia that's shrunken after getting wet.

There are a few known areas where moisture can cause problems if not attended to. First, the throttle cables. Come on, be honest: have you ever greased your throttle cables? A fraction of a percent of riders have, as it's not a common problem. Yes, if these babies had a mechanical clutch cable, there would perhaps be a thread, "which lube is best for my cables?"

We could argue which lube is best, just like engine oil. Bel-Ray made a cable luber, I believe Motion Pro may have one. Heck, I'll bet that Motech has one or two hidden in the back of a toolbox drawer...God knows, you lose those things, and end up buying a new one, only to do a toolbox purge and discover that you have three like I do.

The throttle housing needs a wee drain hole, by the way. Problem solved.

Here's what the right side wiring harness will need: a small cut to allow accumulated water to drain, solving the dreaded red / white wire corrosion issue.

Here is the lower loop wiring "tube", carefully cut to allow ventilation / drainage:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5076.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	268.2 KB 
ID:	220903

Here is a view of the location, behind the right radiator:

Name:	DSCN5075.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	268.0 KB 
ID:	220904

Bob
    Last edited by Robert Borchert; 05-07-2013 at 09:54 PM.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by RAS View Post
    If one hasn't been added t the one yer looking at, a rear hugger will help keep the shock and links from road muck.
    I looked for one of these recently and it seems they're all out of production.

Malk, just ball up your cover and take it to work in one of the saddlebags, if you're worried.

Wow John, you have seen some rain down South. Mine is covered and garaged, but a really nasty 90 mile highway trek in a downpour had no ill effect. Stay on top of general maintenance mentioned. Perhaps the oil that occasionally leaks into plugs and sockets has it's benefit.
    01 Blue #84, 11/12 with: HeliBars, foam grips, 05 map, Borla cans (Replaced by 2" pipe)/stock silencer, derestricted, metal QD, dash socket, wiring mod. Me: Ford relay +10awg & grd, fuel pump rewire, FPR, vac hoses. Evap gone, CBR coils/harness+ Magnecor, clutch switch bypass. S.S. clutch & front line, RaceTech Gold fork, Cogent rebuilt Sachs, tapered head bearings. Added LED run lights/indicators/brake. All signals also run lights. All lights but Hi/park/brake on dash switch. Hi beam mod, vest plug, wiring block, blue dash SMD's/Red V meter, Tune IFT, PCIII gone. Stripped/polished rims, vented screen, rear petal disc. FH008 soldered DC plug/added grd/hard soldered AC. L/R dash indicator lights, RG frame/fork sliders, vented screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Borchert View Post
    Rain? No worries.

I've yet to hear of an aprilia that's shrunken after getting wet.

There are a few known areas where moisture can cause problems if not attended to. First, the throttle cables. Come on, be honest: have you ever greased your throttle cables? A fraction of a percent of riders have, as it's not a common problem. Yes, if these babies had a mechanical clutch cable, there would perhaps be a thread, "which lube is best for my cables?"

We could argue which lube is best, just like engine oil. Bel-Ray made a cable luber, I believe Motion Pro may have one. Heck, I'll bet that Motech has one or two hidden in the back of a toolbox drawer...God knows, you lose those things, and end up buying a new one, only to do a toolbox purge and discover that you have three like I do.

The throttle housing needs a wee drain hole, by the way. Problem solved.

Here's what the right side wiring harness will need: a small cut to allow accumulated water to drain, solving the dreaded red / white wire corrosion issue.

Here is the lower loop wiring "tube", carefully cut to allow ventilation / drainage:

Name:	DSCN5076.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	268.2 KB 
ID:	220903

Here is a view of the location, behind the right radiator:

Name:	DSCN5075.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	268.0 KB 
ID:	220904

Bob

From a February 2013 join date...that is an excellent description of the rain effects including the pictures.

My only experience with rain trouble was a poor/half-broken connection with the splice in the wiring harness. Since I had to slit that harness to get to the splice, I now have a drain system. That is good advice for anyone who hasn't had the splice issue. When I did slit my harness, I noticed all kinds of grime and crud at the bottom.

I may look in to the idea of drilling a small drain hole in the throttle housing.

It hasn't happened to me, but I've also heard that water can pool around one of the spark plugs on the front cylinder - causing some type of short

I've been caught in the rain a bunch of times, but only once had problems. Thanks to the hard luggage, the Futura is my long distance trip bike (except for a coast-to-coast I did on the Falco before I bought the Fut). It is going to get caught in the rain.

"7. I will never stop thanking Ducati for their refusal to sign me in 2009" --- Max Biaggi

'02 Falco
    Renegade high-mount, OZ wheels, JCG custom paint, PC III, 48 psi RSV chip, painted Mille swinger, Works Performance shock, Evo airbox/K&N, oversize intake, Jet Hot coated pipes, Heli-bars, MPL clutch slave, braided lines, alarm, Pazzo's, Puig screen, carbon stuff...many more...

'03 Futura
    Ash Black, BEF Exhaust, H-Pipe, Heli-bars, heated grips, tinted screen, alarm, 3 power outlets (2 Powerlet & Gerbing), charging LED, John's regulator, carbon hugger, Vista Cruise, MPL clutch slave, Falco forks, 320mm rotors, Pazzo's, Stebel TM80 horn, Tutoro chain oiler, K&N filter

In five years of ownership and about 22,000 miles my Futura saw lots and lots of summer rain (British weather) including some horrific downpours and never missed a beat.

The Futura is fine in the rain, especially with the sensible precautions above. The only thing I would add is to make sure the fuel cap drain works as the filler cap is not waterproof. Info here: Aprilia Futura: Water under the filler cap

So how many of you guys that have been regularly riding in the rain for several years have never had a coil failure?
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by bikpaintr View Post
    So how many of you guys that have been regularly riding in the rain for several years have never had a coil failure?
    Me. However I did replace mine last year before it happened!! As I mention, look after it and then bike will return the favour.

So if you take the bike apart & fix all the areas where water gets in like the factory should have done when they designed/built it then it's fine for regular wet weather riding?? I still say that if you are looking for a bike that will see a lot of rain there are better choices out there.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

Maybe i should clarify. I'm not thinking of commuting in heavy rain (i hope). Just light rain at most. But even in the case of a suprise heavy rain, one precaution to take is, to cut a hole in the wrapping of the throtlle cables so it doesn't accumulate water there?

apriliaforum Junkie
    So if you take the bike apart & fix all the areas where water gets in like the factory should have done when they designed/built it then it's fine for regular wet weather riding?? I still say that if you are looking for a bike that will see a lot of rain there are better choices out there.
    I think so,... in the end of the day, for the last 9 years no attention was given to it, so I thought, might as well fix it now and them the bike won't let me down,... so far the red one has done 18880 miles in the my hands, 40k in total, (only know this because it passed it's mot about an hour ago) and only had it since March 2011. It's fair to say that over the last 2 years, it didn't let me down and it shall remain that way if I can help it. [touch wood]

Quote Originally Posted by Malk View Post
    Maybe i should clarify. I'm not thinking of commuting in heavy rain (i hope). Just light rain at most. But even in the case of a suprise heavy rain, one precaution to take is, to cut a hole in the wrapping of the throtlle cables so it doesn't accumulate water there?
    Not the wrapping of the throttle cables, the wiring loom on the right hand side of the radiator,... you shouldn't just cut, you should open it, inspect the wiring and depending on the state of them, you might have to crimp them and get some heated shrink.

Me. Never had a coil failure or any electrical issue bar the faintly glowing oil/sidestand light. And that was only when it had received a thorough soaking from a summer downpour. I never even checked the lower wiring loop, though I should have.

Never had to replace the sidestand switch either and I don't believe the current owner has had any electrical issues either. I never worried about riding the bike in the rain - how could I - I live in England.

I used my Futura for commuting most of the year and for longer weekends away and a bit of European touring. In the first couple of years it was even exposed to salted roads occasionally until I heard about the coil issue. I would say the coil problem was caused more by salt than wet weather. Oh, and the first three winters I had my Futura it was parked under a waterproof cover in the back garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Malk View Post
    You could do the thing that Jose describes but you don't have to. Much depends on the life the bike has had before you get your hands on it! But a little rain will not affect these bikes unless they have been seriously neglected.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    In five years of ownership and about 22,000 miles my Futura saw lots and lots of summer rain (British weather) including some horrific downpours and never missed a beat.
    You never told me that when you were selling it

No electrical faults per se. Every now and again I just get a click when I press the starter despite fully charged battery. I just ignition off, wait 5 secs, ignition on, press starter and most of the time she then starts. I will get around to finding out what that is and fixing it at some stage. Had a hectic and expensive year the last year so couldn't dedicate funds or time to the fut, therefore not done as much restoration and improvement work as I would have liked. Maybe later this year.............
    2001 - Futura, Infinity Blue (German Import) all the 'normal' mods (Pat's old bike).
    Done : Mille boot, de-restricted intake, K&N, R&G's, 15t Sprocket, Pyramid hugger, Goodridge & HEL stainless braided hoses, 40 clutch oil jet, FPR mod, Motech's starter relay mod,
    Yuasa YTZ14S battery, side stand cut out bypass, loud horn, modded tail light mounting, Hyperpro progressive spring on standard shock, Mille Showa forks with Hyperpro progressive springs. EBC MD666X 320mm Rotors, Brembo Ceramic Organic pads, Radial front brake and clutch (from Ducati 999). Michelin Pilot Road 4's.

2001 - Futura, Infinity Blue (German Import) Some of the normal mods (chris.h old bike).

2011 - BMW K1600 GT SE, Vermillion Red. Sold May 2017.

I rode up to Michigan last October. Left in a shitpile of rain. On the way back through northern Indiana it rained some more. Mennonites are in northern Indiana so the roads were covered in wet horse shit. Fun.
    Bikes:
    2007.5 Tuono-Black, with 1102cc's of micah's badness!
    2012 Griso-Silver and black, Agostini pipe, some carbon bits.
    2006 Vespa GT200-bitubo suspension all around, Malossi big-bore, head and cam, Akrapovic pipe, all put together by Micah.

gone 2002 Caponord-Oyster gray (as faithful as a hound dog)
    gone Futura-Red (on the AF1 showroom floor. Get some.)

The more I learn about people, the more I appreciate rocks.

apriliaforum expert thesprocket26's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Laffer View Post
    Every now and again I just get a click when I press the starter despite fully charged battery. I just ignition off, wait 5 secs, ignition on, press starter and most of the time she then starts. I will get around to finding out what that is and fixing it at some stage.
    I had this happen at one point. I opened up the START switch on the right handlebar and it was all corroded. Cleand it up, new grease, fires every time now. Might be worth a check. All of 10 minutes time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast