Thread: Anyone know what a NORM and NOMM octane rating is?

Anyone know what a NORM and NOMM octane rating is?

Ok. Not to sound stupid, but what is the octane rating, I should use in my 09 SC250?

I found this in the manual,

Use premium unleaded petrol only, with minimum octane rating of 95 (NORM) and 85 (NOMM)

but for the life of me, couldn't find or figure out what NORM and NOMM stood for and nothing came up in my internet searches. I am assuming just use the highest octane??

Nevermind, Found my answer in a different section of this forum.

apriliaforum expert
    On a high compression engine with a 4 valve head use premium to extend valve life. You'll end up requiring fewer adjustments and may save having to replace the head from the valves sinking into the seats so far that there is no longer any adjustment left.

apriliaforum prov-nov

NORM & NOMM Octane

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper5usa View Post
    Nevermind, Found my answer in a different section of this forum.
    Well how about sharing what you found with the rest of us. I'm now trying to find what NORM and NOMM octane is too.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic5491 View Post
    Well how about sharing what you found with the rest of us. I'm now trying to find what NORM and NOMM octane is too.
    Search for the Wiki as its just the difference in standards used around the world to define octane by different averaging methods. Its usually stated as RON/Research Octane Number, MON/Motor Octane Number and [AKI or (R+M)/2].

The 95 NORM/RON, 85 NOMM/MON would be listed as 90 R+M/2 on gas pump in the US.

R+M/2 is exactly what it seems to be which is a mathematical equation. (RON+MON)/2 using the numbers from the original question is 95 plus 85 equals 180 then 180 divided by 2 equals 90 AKI or (R+M)/2 making it so 90 octane (R+M)/2 is whats specified for the SportCity 250 in the US. Using lower octane fuel can result in more frequent and larger valve adjustments shortening the life of your head so go 90 (R+M)/2 or a bit higher in the US with the Piaggio fuel injected 250's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    On a high compression engine with a 4 valve head use premium to extend valve life. You'll end up requiring fewer adjustments and may save having to replace the head from the valves sinking into the seats so far that there is no longer any adjustment left.
    dude where do you come up with this nonsense?? On top of which... the malossi 4v head is way better than stock and worth the $430 should the stock one shit the bed. Running fuel higher octane fuel than the minimum required isnt going to do eff all for cylinder head service life on a sportcity.