Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Motocorasaro o2 optimiser - The improved FatDuc alternative.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteOwl View Post
    I wonder what the cost would be to buy and ship to canada? the shipping from af1 alone makes this very costly to buy from them, plus there will still be duty and taxes i think. and yours seems like such a better fit anyways.

how can something so small cost so much to ship?
    I'm visiting the Post Office today with some, so I'll get postage cost and PM you.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Clint_Fister View Post
    ....... It pulls really smooth & strong now right from walking pace up to the rev-limiter.
    Clint, that is exactly how my shiver runs with the fatduc and kevmod. S mode everywhere, even on gravel - no problem. Good to have a motor responding so smoothly isn't it?
    Gil
    'Its only rock n roll but I like it....'

I had my first proper out-of-town run on the Shiver today to see how well the Optimiser works for UK motorway riding. It was an early morning trip out on the M4 to a site near Hungerford, then back into town via a stretch of the open and winding A4, rejoining the M4 at Newbury. About 140 miles in all with mixed and variable traffic density.

Firstly I noted that there is still a bit of surging on a constant, barely open throttle from about 4000 to 5500rpm (corresponding speedometer readings, somewhat optimistic due to the 15t front sprocket: 4k-57mph, 5k-71mph, 6k-85mph) which meant it was more comfortable to keep the speed to 6k or over where traffic allowed. Tour mode gets rid of it completely of course, but I hate having to wind on massive amounts of throttle to achieve the same surge of power past a dozy outside-laner who finally remembers to move over.

Secondly, gosh the Shiver is stable at speed. That slightly slow steering which I've got used to in town by muscling it through corners a bit more reaps benefits at speed with lovely stability over all types of surfaces where previous bikes have been prone to the odd jiggle. Whilst the motorway is OK with plenty of top gear roll-on torque to keep you amused, the sweeping A-road is the Shiver's natural home where you are constantly adjusting speed, lean and braking according to the road and traffic. Loverly.

Watching the fuel mpg meter was interesting seeing how hills, the wind and throttle opening affected the consumption rate, but generally just rode according to conditions rather than being a fuel miser. I used about a tank of fuel and the stats were: Trip 141 miles, average 61 mph, 47 mpg.

Still lovin' it.

apriliaforum expert
    That puts it at 39MPG(US) .... so it doesn't do much as far as fuel economy, correct? Or am I wrong?

No that's about right. Shivers are thirsty, that's a fact.
    The optimiser definately improves mpg at lower revs, but I have have no back to back comparison for the type of riding I did today. I think that if your riding is consistantly over 4000 rpm it may have little or no bearing on fuel economy, just the benefits of smoother throttle transitions and better manners at low revs
    I have a DIY decat pipe in the shed waiting for fitment soon so I'm hoping that may yield further (if not subtle) improvements.

apriliaforum expert
    I am starting to slowly realize that there's no help for these Aprilia V-Twins as far as MPG ..... too bad, great bike otherwise. :-(

apriliaforum Junkie
    What do you call "fuel economy"

Not many petrol cars with comparative performance give "fuel economy". Many diesels burners do but thats not a fair comparison imo

No, it's just that the Shiver/DD does not shape very well against it's similar cc/bhp motorcycle counterparts.

apriliaforum Junkie
    My experience so far.. Ave 48mpg mixed roads and spirited riding. Compares to my previous Ducati 696 at 52mpg, but this was a much lighter bike and had more miles on the engine.

Mates Z750 gives ave of 50/52, another with Fazer FZ1 is getting similar, and both of these bikes have similar milage to my own Shiver. So for me the mpg is not bad

ps. Wasn't having a pop, sorry if it appeared so.

I'm fine with it also - it's never a choice factor for my next bike. It's just not about that at all - it's the riding experience that matters and if it's fuel efficient as well, that's fine.
    No pop even thought of

Think I may have to invest!!! One question most of u have said u have had mpg gain for some reason my bike averages 55mpg and I'm always I S mode and don't ride like a bitch why do u think its so hi??
    When In Doubt Go Flat Out

Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post
    I am starting to slowly realize that there's no help for these Aprilia V-Twins as far as MPG ..... too bad, great bike otherwise. :-(
    I agree the Ape is a little thirsty - but compared to my old Kwaka 650 twin it's frugal!
    BLOG = http://bitsar.blogspot.com.au

Life
    is Complex
    :: {It has an (i)maginary component && a (R)eal component}

Pushed the GT tank capacity a bit this morning - 19 miles into the 'nearly empty' trip reading, total miles 154 and squeezed in 14.4 litres on fill-up. Tank capacity is advertised as 16 litres so in theory I should be able to get approx 170 miles before running dry on my regular route. At some point I'll strap a full can of fuel to the seat and max it out as I am intrigued to see what the ceiling is on the 'nearly empty' trip.

Anybody had the misfortune to accidentally test this?
    Last edited by MARTCO78; 04-23-2013 at 04:51 AM.

I have and I got no where near your range, bone dry stopped at 200.8 Km (40km on reserve)the the bike was fully loaded after a trip away with a constant head wind and I had cracked decat pipe . Another 10 km and I would have been a bit happier

I once made 260 kms before filling up. In touring mode loaded with bags etc I did the last 60 kms going south on the Hume Hwy in Vic at legal speeds praying for a servo.
    Gil
    'Its only rock n roll but I like it....'

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast