Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Motocorasaro o2 optimiser - The improved FatDuc alternative.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up Motocorsaro o2 optimiser - The improved UK FatDuc alternative.

Motocorsaro o2 optimiser

Clint_Fister was kind enough to let me test out his first production prototype of his UK alternative to the FatDuc for the Shiver/Dorsoduro this week. It's basically a FatDuc copy with longer longer combined tails for more sensible positioning, plus proper weatherproofing for the UK climate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02a.JPG 
Views:	587 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	216812 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02b.JPG 
Views:	570 
Size:	192.9 KB 
ID:	216814 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	o2c.jpg 
Views:	468 
Size:	233.7 KB 
ID:	216815

Installation

Fitting was easy but quite fiddly, mainly because of where it is and it's difficult to see what you are doing without the benefit of a workshop lift. (Though it is perfectly possible lying on your back in a car-park, as I did)

The marked up photo above indicates my routing and adjuster position, the notes below covering my installation pointers:

1. There is no real vertical passageway that is big enough behind the frame at 'B' so the trimpot has to come almost outside the frame at 'A' (only just fits through) and then back behind at 'C'. However, it's all covered by the rubber drain pipe, so not visible.
    2. From that point on it slips up behind all the existing frame, harnessing and pipes and comes to rest hidden in the position shown. It could go a little higher, but it was well hidden from the elements and not against engine metal so I left it there. It will be easy enough to pull out for adjustment by tugging on the length visible above the oil filler.
    3. I only used one cable-tie in the position shown, just to keep the bottom end tucked in close behind the footrest hanger. Everything else is held in place by existing components is well away from exhaust elements and swing-arm movement.

The optimiser is well weatherproofed, but the trimpot adjuster opening is still a potential point of water ingress, so I covered it with electrical tape to be double sure prior to installation.

Testing Impressions

My intial test run was my usual 12 mile central London rush-hour commute from Fulham to Muswell Hill. My riding style is a bit point-and-shoot, honed over 30 years of London traffic (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVJqLz88V5M) so may vary from other riders' normal environments and riding style. My Shiver also runs Arrow cans and a 15Tfront sprocket, both of which have already helped to smooth out a little the stock machine's low speed fueling issues.
    The run was conducted in Sport mode throughout.

Start-up was completely as usual with no dash warnings showing.

The most immediatly apparent difference for my style of riding in London is the loss of that really (no, really) sharp edge to the throttle response - it's all a little softer (and therefore better for everyday use) below 4000rpm and even at revs above that it has lost just a little touch of it's raw immediacy. It feels to me possibly a tiny bit flatter in the middle, but picks up noticeably after about 7000rpm and revs out fine as before. Having a little kink in what was previously a pretty linear power curve I quite like.

The second element that became more apparent as the journey progressed was the much better manners on a closed to semi-closed throttle - its now very linear right down to the 1500 rpm tick-over level and I find my self fanning the clutch much less and much later to get round the little surges that the ECU inflicts in an effort to stop the engine dying at lower revs at walking pace speeds (I do a lot of that). Engine braking at slow speeds seems a little reduced, but that is largely due now to the lack of snatching as the revs die back to tickover.

The best thing though is the throttle transition at lower revs - it's now really almost as smooth as a four and it will pull without snatch from much lower revs. Mid corner throttle changes are now better all round as the lurching that can upset the less than compliant stock suspension has all but gone...... so not only does it improve engine manners, the handling gets a boost too.

There was only ever a hint of issues for constant speed cruising previously for me and that was largely due to the over-sensitive throttle response in Sport mode which could be tiresome on bumpy London road surfaces. That has now been eliminated.

I left the Optimiser on Clint's default setting and the main pops on the overrun have gone, but it can still be encouraged to give the odd little hic under the right circumstances. I'm guessing to eliminate that entirely I would have to go a tad richer, but I would rather go the other way for a touch more edge on the throttle. (Clint suggests that richening removes the popping completely, but leads to a progressive softening of the throttle responce). I intend to live with the current settings for a couple of weeks and then experiment with varying the trimpot setting.

The possibilty of improved MPG looks promising as I generally run late 30's in the dry and up to a max of 42 in the rain and snow. I filled up the morning of fitting and was fairly liberal with the throttle in the dry conditions - 12 miles without and 12 miles with the optimiser and it was already showing 41mpg. We shall see how it settles-in over a few tanks before being able to establish a reasonable level of improvement.

So all good from my side - I have found initially the difference subtle rather than dramatic, refined rather than revised. It's a bit like an 'Optimised' map as it's taken the best elements from Sport and Tour and combined them.

Also with the benfit of better fuel consumption it will pay for itself....what's not to like?

Excellent work Clint and thanks for letting me have the first one.
    Last edited by MARTCO78; 03-22-2013 at 04:32 AM.

Good write, thank you. Although is very tempting, I love the rawness of my DD Sport mode!

Very well written. Seems like Clint did a perfectly fine mimicking job on the FatDuc whilst eliminating some of the asspain of the fitting/placement. Cheers, Clint!
    2011 Dorsoduro 750 - Black

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer gods than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.Ē - Stephen F. Roberts

"The population of lonely people with eager willingness to be purposefully wrong is not to be underestimated." - Will Assaf

Quote Originally Posted by naimchase View Post
    Motorcycles are not just fun toys. They are a catalyst for the enjoyment of life. They enhance your own, and bring something out in those around you.
    Be open to the enthusiasm of riders and non-riders. You will be well rewarded.

Nice one Clint. ;-)
    Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 Factory Carbon 2012.

AKA

apriliaforum Junkie
    Thanks for that. So what does it do to T mode ?

Quote Originally Posted by CdnSL View Post
    Thanks for that. So what does it do to T mode ?
    Smoother than a very smoooth thing.

Tour mode as we know is basically Sport mode with a bit of elastic attached between the throttle and engine. With the optimiser that bit of elastic is a little bit older, but it does give a mode which would be perfect for riding as a presidential outrider in a slow-moving parade or for taking a very leisurly and relaxed ride through a scenic environment with a very nervous pillion.

No use at all for me then.......

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by MARTCO78 View Post
    Smoother than a very smoooth thing.

Tour mode as we know is basically Sport mode with a bit of elastic attached between the throttle and engine. With the optimiser that bit of elastic is a little bit older, but it does give a mode which would be perfect for riding as a presidential outrider in a slow-moving parade or for taking a very leisurly and relaxed ride through a scenic environment with a very nervous pillion.

No use at all for me then.......
    I agree. But then I would, wouldn't I?

In my own personal experience, even after having the latest dealer re-map, I could only tolerate T mode. S mode was like a light switch at low & medium throttle openings. S mode, though entertaining in a straight line, is realistically unusable if you want to retain any fine throttle control and stability through turns.
    However, after Optimiser, you'll never use T mode again... Ever.
    Last edited by Motocorsaro3; 03-22-2013 at 05:19 PM.

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks for the write up, hopefully I'll have one on my bike soon! One added benefit is there is nothing better than a new knob to play with.

Superb write up, is Clint looking at selling some? If so, how much?
    Previous Bikes

ZXR 400
    ZXR 750
    BMW 650 F
    Yam XT660Z
    Triumph Tiger XC

Current

DD 750 Biaggi

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness"

Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Wrighty90 View Post
    Superb write up, is Clint looking at selling some? If so, how much?
    As far as I know the last plan is that it's £55 including postage and the intention is to get some into production after the start of this thread, but PM him direct for more.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Great write up, and good news.

Sell me one Clint me olde mucka.

- Full Carbon leo's/no baffle
    - Evotech Tail tidy
    - Evotech Rad Guard
    - Billet levers and covers
    - Supersprox Gold rear with Rk 525 gold chain
    - DNA Airfilter
    -FATDUC

Quote Originally Posted by tez180 View Post
    Sell me one Clint me olde mucka.
    Count me in mate aswel

apriliaforum prov-nov normannumeric's Avatar
    I'm in! Sounds fantastic. Keep us posted please Clint...

apriliaforum newb
    Yep, I want one , please let us know when its ready!

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast